TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 04:46 PM   #100
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I tow with a 1 ton, F-350. Not because I think I need it but because when I traded in my other truck for it it was the only one available with a short bed. I didn't want or need a long bed and was looking for a 3/4 T. Oh well, we had a 1T Dodge before and it did tow nicely. I think there is actually a better trade in market for 1T trucks anyhow. We just did a 3month and 12000m trip with the new one and very happy with it. Many people tow with smaller combinations so it obviously can be done but this suited me. Your results may vary.

See ya'll on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:06 AM   #101
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2007 28' International CCD
1999 34' Limited
2009 22' Interstate
Woodbury , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I tow with a 1 ton, F-350. Not because I think I need it but because when I traded in my other truck for it it was the only one available with a short bed. I didn't want or need a long bed and was looking for a 3/4 T. Oh well, we had a 1T Dodge before and it did tow nicely. I think there is actually a better trade in market for 1T trucks anyhow. We just did a 3month and 12000m trip with the new one and very happy with it. Many people tow with smaller combinations so it obviously can be done but this suited me. Your results may vary.

See ya'll on the road sometime.
Thanks, good info.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:55 AM   #102
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger1 View Post
My husband and I just purchased a 27' 2015 International Serenity. We are very excited to begin traveling! We are planning to trade in or sell our Ford F 150 for another heavier duty truck. Please give suggestions on what we may want to consider and what is most important as we shop for another new or used truck. Thank you!

Tracey
Ford F-250 Super Duty Diesel truck!

Ford Truck Man
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0011_2 F-250 & Airstream Safari.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	251814  
Old 11-09-2015, 10:10 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
Also.....we found out the hard way......many 1/2 ton trucks come with a "temporary" spare tire. Sure you can ditch the "temporary" for a "full size" spare but it will have to go in the bed and will be heavier and take up valuable cargo space. I personally don't want to tow my trailer with a "temporary" spare on the truck, especially if in an isolated area.
What truck does not come with a full sized spare? My Ford has a full sized spare, just that it's on a ugly steel rim, not like the shiny chromed wheels elsewhere. I find it hard to belive a manufacturer would include a temporary tiny spare with a truck. That's just wrong.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:35 AM   #104
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We tow our 31' Classic with a 2012 Dodge Ram 2500HD with Cummins - crew cab and short bed. For our use, this is the best truck for our configuration and we see 19,200+ pounds crossing the scales loaded for a trip. I like the inherent smoothness of a straight six cylinder engine.

We tow our 2015 23D International Serenity with our 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI diesel and as far as we are concerned that is an appropriate load for that vehicle. Our original 2013 25FB International Serenity was too much for the Mercedes when we crossed the scales.

I think that the CAT scales provide the definitive information for a proper tow vehicle and trailer combination.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:37 AM   #105
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
A properly set up car actually.

But your Pickup truck will do fine with a proper WDH. Save the 50k.

Unless you're pulling 30ft and beyond, or are full-timing with a bed full of gear these modern engines can handle it. The bigger trucks have bigger brakes because they weigh more.

The Ecoboost 3.5L is a great engine and the turbo is preferable if you're at altitude anyways. It actually uses a little more fuel than the larger engine when towing, but your life will be better the rest of the time.

Consider about town drivability and parkability of your TV.

But as a THOR shareholder I'd advise you get a 1Ton and the 30ft New Classic and trade in often.

**I'll check back here after the OP has bought the F250/350**

if you want a diesel truck with a 7.2 litre engine, "just because", that is cool too
Old 11-09-2015, 10:57 AM   #106
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
If you go diesel you can pull any travel trailer Airstream makes and have no concern about entry to an interstate, pulling any hill or braking downhill. Any of the new trucks will be comfortable and offer all the bells and whistles.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:19 AM   #107
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhortons View Post
...as a THOR shareholder I'd advise you get a 1Ton and the 30ft New Classic and trade in often.

Best answer yet.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:42 AM   #108

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Groton , Connecticut
I traded my Ford F150 for a new 2014 Ford F250 when we purchased a 2014 Flying Cloud. Couldn't be happier with the decision. Opted for the 6.2 L gas engine as breakeven for diesel was roughly 180K miles. Over the past two season we have towed nearly 18K miles and have been impressed with the towing performance of the Ford F250.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:33 AM   #109
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2007 28' International CCD
1999 34' Limited
2009 22' Interstate
Woodbury , Minnesota
Thanks to all

I received some wonderful advise from the forum and I am very thankful to all. I picked up the 2014 28 International Signature from Camping World in New Mexico. They put on a Reese dual cam hitch for me and we drove it home. I had the same hitch on two of my previous airstreams. I am keeping my 2014 Ram Limited with 5.7 Hemi and air bags on all four corners. We had a great trip and it towed beautifully. However, if I did not have such a new truck I would get a Silverado 2500 with the Duamax diesel. I had that combination when we owned a 30 Classic. I love Ram but their Cummins diesel is too loud. I wear hearing aids so the extra noise is a problem. Again, thanks for all of your advice.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:52 AM   #110
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Don't know what engine you heard, but my 6.7 is quiet, more so than the older 5.9....
Old 11-13-2015, 03:36 PM   #111
gpt
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
sequim , Washington
interesting topic with, obviously, no 'correct' answer. since it all 'depends' i'll put my 2 cents into the mix.

right now i an running my 9th PU. 1/2 tons, 3/4 tons and now a 1 ton. i have also towed with a couple different SUVs as well.

so what is the difference?? well it depends on what you want to do and where you want to do it. if you are going to cross the continental divide and come west, that should mean a couple of things: 4x4 and sufficient capacity for your gear and fuel. out this way we go up a lot and that means we have to come down as well.

the 1/2 ton folks will argue they have sufficient capacity for towing and if they don't take too much stuff along, carrying capacity that is about correct for their needs. i would tend to agree with that perception. however, the two Tundra's i have owned, with the V8 engines simply didn't have sufficient torque. they were constantly shifting either up or down on even the modest rolls and dips many roads have. yes i could have manually shifted and maintained a lower gear but there goes the fuel economy. BTW, towing a 25' AS, the best i ever got towing was 9mpg. i am not a lead foot and the truck was a 4x4, so consider that. with no tow, the best i ever got was 15mpg.

the 3/4 ton trucks all tend to sag in the rear so i ended up adding air bags to all of them. the air suspension of the RAM trucks is an interesting option but probably costs way more than simply adding the air bags. since i am a short person, i could not drive any of the RAM trucks because i could not see the right fender due to the huge hump in the hood. and just start up a RAM and listen to that diesel engine, inside or outside, the noisiest on the planet. but a 3/4 ton gives you so many benefits, as outlined above, they are worth considering.

the 1 ton i currently am driving was obtained by a dealer searching for a 3/4 for me. the difference in pricing was minimal and the suspension needs no help in any way shape or form. ride?? well some of the posters here have probably never ridden in any new trucks, smooth. my trailer does not mind following along and so far i have found no rivets on the floor!

biggest problem with the F350, 4 door short bed was the fuel capacity, 26g. not enough for travelling out this way where it is often a long way between stops. so i replaced it with an off the shelf 50g tank. now i am set for long cruising or more frequent pee stops. this truck gets 13.5-14.5 mpg towing on varied terrain and by itself at interstate speeds will return 19-21 mpg, also a 4x4.

on a personal level, i don't appreciate cutting things too close, i would rather 'overkill' than go close to the limits. i think it is better on the equipment as well as providing some peace of mind. with this truck, i can set the cruise and the computer does the rest up and down shifting. on the steep downhill grades, the downshifting will happen all by itself trying to maintain the speed i had set, a very nice feature which keeps me off of the brakes. no 1/2 ton i have owned had such a cool feature.

now if you have the disposable income to spend over 100k on a euro MB diesel that you have Can Am fix up, well maybe that is your cup of tea. but short wheelbase towing makes me very nervous, and yes i have done that as well.

best advice would be check your budget, set some limits, be honest about where you intend to travel and for what length of time and then go shopping. as a Ford diehard, that is the direction i would steer you but i would recommend you take the time to drive all of those that are available. they are different in so many ways you should start keeping notes to help you decide.

gas or diesel, tough choice which transcends dollars. i made my choice with this current truck and i can't see me changing anything anytime soon. from my perspective i think i have the vehicle i have been looking for over the years.

good luck in your search, it can be fun or frustrating depending on your approach.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:29 PM   #112
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpt View Post
... however, the two Tundra's i have owned, with the V8 engines simply didn't have sufficient torque. they were constantly shifting either up or down on even the modest rolls and dips many roads have ...
Toyota just introduced an 8 speed auto transmission in 2016 Land Cruiser. That transmission should eventually make it to Tundra. I suspect an 8 speed auto will mitigate the constant shifting you experienced.