Old 09-25-2004, 11:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Which state to register?

I bought my Argosy travel trailer from a friend..It's parked in Arizona...I don't have a tow vehicle...plan to live in it where it is parked when I get back down there...but also live in Calif where I'm reg to vote have a Cal DL etc...It has Ariz plates ... expiring in November.

I called the Calif DMV and was told it has to be brought into the DMV for inspection before it can be reg...NO CAN DO...I called the Ariz DMV and was told that I must be an Ariz resident to register it there They won't accept PO box addresses either....I feel like I'm in limbo...and will simply allow the tags to expire until I can get it on the road.....does anyone have a good solution to my delema? Can I get an Ariz mailbox( Will the Ariz DMV accept this as a legit address?) for the time being with forewarding to where I happen to be at the time?

All this bureaucratic BS is getting to me...

Old 09-26-2004, 05:59 AM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Does it have to be tagged?

In NC I have several trailers that are not tagged, (we use them on the farm) We do hold titles to them. If you are not going to be moving the unit in the immediate future I don't see why you need a liscense plate for it. When you get ready to move it, you should be able to get a temporary transport tag to get it home to CA. But then again it is CA Maybe get an "address" at one of the Mailbox Plus type locations. Typically they will have a street address with a suite number not a box number. I travel extensively and have used this process in the past to get a Driver's Liscense.

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 09:26 AM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerbunny
I called the Calif DMV and was told it has to be brought into the DMV for inspection before it can be reg...NO CAN DO...I called the Ariz DMV and was told that I must be an Ariz resident to register it there They won't accept PO box addresses either....I feel like I'm in limbo...and will simply allow the tags to expire until I can get it on the road.....does anyone have a good solution to my delema? Can I get an Ariz mailbox( Will the Ariz DMV accept this as a legit address?) for the time being with forewarding to where I happen to be at the time? All this bureaucratic BS is getting to me...
Why not use the address where the Argosy is parked? If you are going to live in it there,even if only a seasonal home, that makes it a legit address for you. DMV will usually accept some kind of utility or rent bill as proof of address. If you have power in your name there, or receipt for lot rent at that address, it should work, although all states are slightly different. Failing that, since you bought it from a friend, see if they will let you pay to renew the tags that are on it, in their name. If nothing else, that will give you an extra year to come up with an alternate registration plan.
Terry
Old 09-26-2004, 01:08 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Send a message via AIM to rfield54
I bought my Excella in AZ and towed to my property in UT (I'm in CO). I arranged for a Moab police officer to inspect the VIN # and fill out the appropriate form (free of charge). I then sent the form with the signed and notorized title to the DMV in SLC, UT for the title transfer. I did the same thing with my UT bought Bambi, here in CO, so I could have it re-registered in UT (I saved $500 doing that). You can pull the form off the internet. Good luck, Roy.

AIR #2753

www.roybloomfield.com
rfield54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 03:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I bought a mh in Arizona, was issued an Arizona title and given 30 day temporary tags. There was a problem with processing the title, they gave me another set of temporary tags with no questions. I would check again with AZ, it was easier than dealing with the MI DMV.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Become an Arizona citizen and save tax dollars.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:18 AM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We have a few retired unit members who carry Montana plates on their motorhomes and trailers. As far as I know they live here, so there must be some tax advantage. Maybe someone who is a Montana resident can shed some light. I've never asked the local folks why.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 10:21 AM   #8
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
In SC, "Technically speaking", ALL vehicles whether they are parked or in transit must be registered and tagged.

I am certain that there are many vehicles that are not registered and rusting away in some field but it is illegal.

This law is in place fro a couple of reasons, the obvious one is TAX/REVENUES collections and secondly to prevent clutter of old vehicles on properties.

Most of the long timers in our WBCCI Unit register their vehicles in FL or VT for tax and insurance advantages.

Smily
Old 09-27-2004, 10:25 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Tidewater , Virginia
Florida is probably the easiest because they are used to the snowbird's leaving a car there year round. They also do not have a problem with not having a FL driver's license.

Take care,
A-6E All Weather Attack Driver, BUFF
USN Aircraft Maintenance Officer, Ret.
'91 Suburban R-2500 w/BBC
'78 Honda GL-1000
'72 Triumph T-100R Daytona
dinoburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 10:48 AM   #10
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Arizona is the same way as far as having snowbirds leaving vehicles here year round. The east Valley cities' population increases dramatically during the winter months. Is the trailer in a place where it can be left for a time or do you need to move/use it right away? If it can stay where it is, why not register it where it is using that address?

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 11:53 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for all the input... This delema can be solved. I am sure of it. Many full timers and snowbirds have managed this. I plan to retire in 5-6 years...not there yet...and will most likely move about. My family lives in Colorado and I love the Southwest...a perfect place to warm my weary bones...but I'll miss the ocean and my friends...so this AS fits into my plans well when I finally purchase a relieable, but fuel efficient tow vehicle.
There is no place to deliver land mail to the trailer...I would need to trapse into town...and also will need forewarding service for when I'm elsewhere...so this is what I will try to work out over the next few days.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:09 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Send a message via AIM to rfield54
Is Petaluma still the "Chicken Capital of the World"? I moved to Colorado from the Bay Area 25 years ago...no regrets (I do miss good sour dough and Raiders football, though).

AIR #2753

www.roybloomfield.com
rfield54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 02:27 PM   #13
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by smily
In SC, "Technically speaking", ALL vehicles whether they are parked or in transit must be registered and tagged.

Smily
Are you sure about that? If they're not parked on the street, and aren't operated on the highway, I think it may be legal.

SECTION 56-3-110. Vehicles required to be registered and licensed.

Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer and special mobile equipment vehicle driven, operated or moved upon a highway in this State shall be registered and licensed in accordance with the provisions of this chapter. It shall be a misdemeanor for any person to drive, operate or move upon a highway or for the owner knowingly to permit to be driven, operated or moved upon a highway any such vehicle which is not registered and licensed and the required fee paid as provided for in this chapter.

But then its only $5 per year anyway

SECTION 56-3-720. Fees for camper or travel trailers; distinctive tag.

For every camper or travel trailer the biennial registration fee is ten dollars. The department must include in this classification every trailer not more than thirty-five feet long and eight feet wide primarily equipped, designed, converted, or used for private living quarters and towed by a motor vehicle. The department shall design a distinctive tag which must be displayed on the exterior of the rear of the trailer in a conspicuous place.