Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #141
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Minden , Nevada
I spent years in the trucking industry and even owned a couple of tractors. The design of the system (tractor + trailer) was such that a 13k lb tractor could pull a 15k trailer with 45k of cargo and never feel out of sorts.

Towing an RV is quite different and requires more effort at keeping the system balanced. The heavy tongue weight is a concern as the weight distributing hitch is forcing a great deal of pressure on the hitch to push the vehicle's front end down, thus balancing the load.

The 80% of capacity rule is one I've heard before. I seem to think it was invented by someone who convinced his wife he needed a 1-ton dually (for him) to pull their 7,000 lb trailer. In the trucking industry, we called these guys "big strappers".

The OEM rating for gross vehicle rates are their conservative engineering calculations for maximum capacity as the average Joe only has average skill when it comes to handling heavy loads. The corporate lawyers would have it no other way.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #142
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
This is the primary reason my TV is 4WD...

Winter...

PUs don't have the best traction in the rear end.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MI072281 (800x600 sRGB).jpg
Views:	136
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	174999
MaxTow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #143
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
How About Chains?

My Tundra is 2wd. I bought it with 2wd because it was about 3k cheaper than 4wd, the mileage was better by 1 mpg, the payload was better by 100 lb and no 4wd maintenance. I figured that I would not need 4wd because I would not get stuck because it had limited slip. Wrong- the limited slip is electronic and it really sucks. I have had it out in the snow once and it acted just like a truck without limited slip- one of the tires would spin. Anyhow it needs a locker, but as far as I know, nobody makes one. I have not gotten stuck boondocking, but it is just a matter of time. Has anybody used chains to get unstuck pulling your Airstream out of some slick boondocking locations? Seems like it ought to work fine, and the cost is minimal. It sure beats calling a tow truck.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #144
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
I have not ever been stuck with my airstream because I have very capable 4wds to use.I have how ever used chains quite succesfully on 2wds.They will make a huge difference in most snow conditions and in the slick clay,but not so much in the bottomless mud situations
2015 Toyota Tacoma trd 4x4
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Bob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #145
Capt W

2013 31' Classic
Jefferson , Massachusetts
I agree that most of the time you don't need 4x4, but when you need it, you need it. I would have been stuck in an isolated campsite in Alaska without 4x4, believe me, it would have been a long walk to get help. And, just now, leaving Massachusetts with a foot of snow on the ground, needed the 4x4 to get the AS out of its parking spot.

Welcome aboard, Mary Joan, the Tin Wheeler

https://www.tinwheel.blogspot.com
wrochdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #146
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Agree with wrochdvm. Most the of the time you do not need 4wd; however, there are times when it is helpful.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #147
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
The cost of having 4x4 vs 4x2 is virtually nothing especially if you trade vehicles every 2-5 years.You pay more to have it upfront but then you get more for it vs 4x2 when you trade or sell it.They are actually more desirable in the used market place.
Maintenance is minimal just remember to lock it in every month or so to keep everything lubed.

But when you need it you really need it ....period

Cheap peace of mind.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote