Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Floral City , Florida
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 19
We camped at Fish Creek campground with our 19' Bambi. I am sure our 23 ft would have fit quite easily in the space we had. We camped in an area where there were many large sites. Just down from us was a 25 ft Airstream and quite a few other rigs that size. There are three or four camping areas in Fish Creek. One is mostly tent (along the creek) and quite scenic, but probably not suitable for trailers. But, lots of sites were available for trailers in the area we camped. Nice showers too...which is rather uncommon for National Parks. Two Medicine was a typical National Park without showers...Many Glacier had showers near the lodge that could be used...buy tokens at the store.

As for Bonginator's question of the time from Many Glacier to Fish Creek...don't remember exactly but figure on half a day. You can't go through the middle, must go around on US 2. There is a shorter way through Two Medicine, but I think the total vehicle length is limited to something like 20 feet or so...have to go around.

There are lots of interesting places on the West side of Glacier. McDonald Lodge is nice and we kayaked on the lake from Fish Creek. Avalanche creek is a nice hike. If you have time go on the West side too...but in my opinion...if you have only one week...spend it all at Many Glacier and Logan Pass.
__________________

__________________
Jimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #16
Len and Jeanne
 
Len n Jeanne's Avatar
 
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,466
We've camped a few times at Fish Creek-- amidst some fairly large units. It was fine, and some of the sites actually had lake views. Can't speak to the St. Mary's campground. No doubt you are aware that you can't tow a trailer over the pass at Going-To-The-Sun road, but HY 2 on the southern park border is no hassle.

For an RV park in West Glacier, we liked the Glacier Campground. Rustic, and with lots of vegetation screening between sites.
__________________

__________________
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master
 
2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 510
Thanks for all of the suggestions! On the last Glacier trip, we did not have the airstream. This time I would like to take it along so this info is great. I have been on the "sun" road and know the AS can't be taken there.

I can't wait to go again. It is one of my favorite parks!
__________________
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:15 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
 
OilnH2o's Avatar
 
1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 374
Sprague Creek is tents only, unless that's changed.

To get into Many you can also try Johnson's in St. Mary. It can be cheek-by-jowl in the summer, but an alternative to a one night stay at the St. Mary NPS campground. But from St. Mary (any of the campgrounds) it's only 30 minutes from there to the Many Glacier campground (and being there at 8-9 am will allow you to see who is hooking up to leave and just take their site!). I think Johnson's campground was the one Jerry mentioned earlier (Mefly2).

Jerry would also tell you the local's trick to get from Many Glacier to the west side of the park (as others have said, via US2) is to take the "Duck Lake cut-off" from Hwy 89 (2 miles south of Babb) that goes to the east and then down south to Browning, where you hit Hwy. 2, then go west. A half-day is a good plan -- going without stopping you could do it in 3 hours, but that would be... without stopping!

Don't forget your passport. If you're going to spend time at Many then take a day and go up to Waterton Lakes National Park - a real jewel of the Canada national parks and so un-sung; but spectacular. Have afternoon "high tea" at the Prince of Wales Hotel and you'll think you're in jolly ol' England!
__________________
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:37 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
 
2Alaska's Avatar
 
1977 Argosy 24
Hudson , New Hampshire
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 89
Send a message via AIM to 2Alaska
West Glacier KOA

Here's a picture of our site at the West Glacier KOA 3 years ago. It was a great location and we never felt like we were too far away from anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4061.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	565.5 KB
ID:	174485  
__________________
2Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member
 
JBinKC's Avatar
 
2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 299
Highly recommend Johnson's RV Park, St Mary, MT. You'll have panoramic views from your site, a good meal in the restaurant and it's just across the street from the Welcome Center. Can't beat it.
__________________
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #21
Rivet Master
 
Rollster's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 556
We were in the Glacier area in the summer of 2010 and absolutely loved camping right on Flathead Lake south of Kallispell. It was an easy drive to Glacier, and we were not concerned about bear-camping. The campground was called Big Arm and was a Montana state park on the west side of Flathead Lake. All the sites are waterfront. We were in a 17' trailer at the time, but you could check online to see if your AS would fit. We absolutely loved the area, and of course, Glacier is spectacular!
__________________
Rollster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #22
Rivet Master
 
Glenritas's Avatar

 
1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Alaska View Post
Here's a picture of our site at the West Glacier KOA 3 years ago. It was a great location and we never felt like we were too far away from anything.
We stayed there a few years ago in the sites on the other side of the road the ones with lawns. Much cleaner and no dust.

The Park has a restaurant that serves great steak & chicken in the evening and a good breakfast and lunch.

We also signed up for the Hi-way to the sun vintage bus tour. What a great way to see and learn about the sites, I highly recommend it .
__________________
Glen & Jane 1969 all electric Airstream 25' TradeWind
2014 Toyota Tundra
1998 Chevy Tahoe
2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #23
Rivet Master
 
2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilnH2o View Post
Sprague Creek is tents only, unless that's changed.

To get into Many you can also try Johnson's in St. Mary. It can be cheek-by-jowl in the summer, but an alternative to a one night stay at the St. Mary NPS campground. But from St. Mary (any of the campgrounds) it's only 30 minutes from there to the Many Glacier campground (and being there at 8-9 am will allow you to see who is hooking up to leave and just take their site!). I think Johnson's campground was the one Jerry mentioned earlier (Mefly2).

Jerry would also tell you the local's trick to get from Many Glacier to the west side of the park (as others have said, via US2) is to take the "Duck Lake cut-off" from Hwy 89 (2 miles south of Babb) that goes to the east and then down south to Browning, where you hit Hwy. 2, then go west. A half-day is a good plan -- going without stopping you could do it in 3 hours, but that would be... without stopping!

Don't forget your passport. If you're going to spend time at Many then take a day and go up to Waterton Lakes National Park - a real jewel of the Canada national parks and so un-sung; but spectacular. Have afternoon "high tea" at the Prince of Wales Hotel and you'll think you're in jolly ol' England!

Thanks for the route tip. Is that route doable with a truck TV and 23 foot AS?
__________________
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member
 
Bigcgar's Avatar

 
2015 25' FB International
2011 23' International
Larkspur , Colorado
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 175
We were in GNP last summer and had an awesome time. Got to see a grizzly bear near Many Glacier and saw many mountain goats. The park is majestic in it views from every where you look. See a few attached photos. We looked at the CG at Many Glaciers and asked the camp host about sites and her recommendation was to get there by 8:30 AM on the busy weekends to get a site middle of the week wasn't as bad and like others indicated 10AM is probably fine. We actually stayed in West Glacier at the RV Park less than a mile from the entrance. Full service sites in the woods and not too packed together. Clean and friendly folks. They even had a backwoods restaurant that was run by a kid from the local culinary school. We enjoyed great BBQ ribs and he also does a great breakfast. It was a nice break in the travels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2812803763.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	479.8 KB
ID:	174660   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3173324069.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	479.8 KB
ID:	174661  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2218624736.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	611.2 KB
ID:	174662  
__________________
Allan & Vicki
Larkspur, CO
Be well, fish on!
Bigcgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member
 
OilnH2o's Avatar
 
1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
Thanks for the route tip. Is that route doable with a truck TV and 23 foot AS?
Absolutely. The "cut-off" part is good, wide, with shoulders, relatively straight in many places, 70 mph highway. A quick check of the map will show it going east then turning south to hit US 2 at Browning. The toughest part of the tow is going through town! Going over Marias Pass, from east to west, is so easy that you'll hardly know you've crossed the Continental Divide.

The other parts I mentioned are fine as well -- good "park" road (45 mph) with some gravel spots on the entry into the Many Glacier valley (the road there has some perennial slumps that can't keep pavement, so they are left to short stretches of gravel - by short I mean 100 to 150 feet at the most).

The roads in Canada are super as well -- no problem for your rig or even longer.
__________________
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #26
Rivet Master
 
mefly2's Avatar
 
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollster View Post
We were in the Glacier area in the summer of 2010 and absolutely loved camping right on Flathead Lake south of Kallispell. It was an easy drive to Glacier, and we were not concerned about bear-camping. The campground was called Big Arm and was a Montana state park on the west side of Flathead Lake. All the sites are waterfront. We were in a 17' trailer at the time, but you could check online to see if your AS would fit. We absolutely loved the area, and of course, Glacier is spectacular!

Totally agree ... here you go with the view; taken the last weekend Big Arm was open this fall.... we were the only campers there that weekend as it turned cold. Although all the sites are NOT on the water, you can make reservations...usually needed.

Listen to Oil n Water for a spectacular time in Glacier NP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1349531856621 - Copy.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	174787  
Attached Images
 
__________________

__________________
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.