Old 07-22-2003, 11:39 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
which A/S will work with my Jeep Grand

My wife and I have decided to become part of the A/S community.
We want to make sure that the A/S that we pick will tow safely with our Jeep. Our 2002 Jeep Grand has the 4.7 v-8 + tow pkg. It is rated for 6700# max trailer wt with a 600# tongue wt. We are hoping to tow the 22 international , but safety is our concern.
Thanks all for your help.

Vajeep

Old 07-22-2003, 01:19 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The 22 International weighs about 5300lbs. I think you should be fine with anything from the 6300lb Safari down to the 16' CCD. The only problems I see going larger than 22' would be the wheel base of your tow vehicle being small.

If the wet bath is not to your liking, the 19' Bambi would be a breeze behind the Jeep and not have the wet bath. It is a bit tighter than the 22' International, but there are trade offs on all sides depending on what you like/need.

Also don't forget with whatever you get to make sure you have the correct hitch setup and a good brake controller. Most either like the Jordan or the Prodigy. Which is better is a personal opinion, however neither will serve you poorly.

Eric

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 01:52 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

I was towing a 99 25' Safari with my '98 GC Jeep. It had the 5.2 engine and did quite well, even without the equalizer hitch and stabalizer. It did have airbags added inside the rear springs.
Adding the Reese hitch and a stabilizer added about 10mph to the comfortable speed.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:00 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
This is not hit on Elliot directly.......

IMHO, nothing and I repeat, nothing over 3500-4000lbs should be towed without a weight distribution hitch and swaybar (among other things as well). Esp if the trailer is beyond 15-20' long.

To do so is at not only your own risk, but also to those around you.

Airbags only keep the unit level, they do not spread the tongue weight even across the rig. Adding sway and weight bars not only add 10mph to your cruise speed, they add years to your life.

Dealers should not be allowed to allow you to leave until you have the proper hitch, brake and tow vehicle in place.

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 07-22-2003, 10:35 PM   #5
Creampuff

1957 22' Flying Cloud
1971 31' Sovereign
1976 29' Ambassador
Malibu , California
VaJeep:
I tow my 24 ft Safari (3800# dry wt.) with no problem with my '01 G.C. Ltd.It has a 4.7litre and there hasn't been a mountain yet she can't scale.I'm with 'Twinky on the hitch story-definitelty!
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 10:42 PM   #6
Creampuff

1957 22' Flying Cloud
1971 31' Sovereign
1976 29' Ambassador
Malibu , California
And---don't forget a good brake controller.

Your Jeep will have a brake controller wire (I think it's blue-consult your manual) off the left kick panel.
AIR #189

Old 07-23-2003, 07:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Tongue weight

I have the 2003 International AS and, according to the truck stop scales, my tongue weight exceeds your 600# limit by about 40# the way I have the trailer loaded. YMMV.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 07:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Smile

Thanks!

I understand about the electric brake controller, but I am a little "fuzzy" about the different hitches and sway bars. (any advice or location that is could learn would be a help) It seems that the 22 international would be right at the 75% rule on max weight for my GC. John,the max tongue wt for my Jeep is 750, so I think that I am ok. I am just glad to hear that there is an A/S owner that is pulling with a Jeep. I will keep you all posted on our progress.

Vajeep
Old 07-23-2003, 08:19 AM   #9
Creampuff

1957 22' Flying Cloud
1971 31' Sovereign
1976 29' Ambassador
Malibu , California
Search the TOWING forum on this site and there will be a wealth of info on hitch set-ups.Reese has a website and somewhere in there is a link for it.There are lots of preferences stated.I have an older Reese Equalizer set up and it works fine for me,but if starting from ground zero,I would read all the opinions before choosing.
BTW,I assume your GC has a V8.The 6 cyl will not adequetly pull anything.
AIR #189

Old 07-23-2003, 09:31 AM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Basically I think you need a Class 3/4 hitch. The weight bars even out the load between the coach and the tow vehicle. Sway bars do exactly what they say. They limit the side to side movement while in transit.

At 22', you are starting to get into the range of dual cam sway control. You could still easily get away with the standard friction, however, IMHO, you are right at the crossroads, possible leaning toward the dual cam.

For me at 19', the friction is all that is required without question. Being that you are only 3' larger and about 700lbs gross more and a bit more tongue weight, you can see where you are right in the grey area as I see it. Anything larger than 22' and for sure dual cam is what is required unless you go with something other than Reese. Each manufc has it's own thing.

Eric
Old 07-23-2003, 11:24 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Vajeep, http://www.tompatterson.com/Airstrea.../msg00203.html will get you to the start of a long thread entitled "Grand cherokee and Safari". You can follow the thread through many posts, some of which detail roll-over and sway incidents involving towing travel trailers with GCs. You will draw your own conclusions. Safe travelling. Nick.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Lightbulb

Thanks to all who helped. The more I read about the Jeep Grand the more I am convinced that we will have to buy a different tow vehicle. It's just my wife and I, but we think that the 22' A/S will be the size for us. I am not sure how jeep comes up with their 6500 max trailer wt, but I feel that it is a little overated. This forum allowed us to explore our options before we bought our A/S. We feel much better informed about "real world" towing. Would have hated to have that "white knuckle" feeling on our drive home with our new A/S.
We will start to look at 3/4 ton p/u trucks esp. diesel.

"vajeep" soon to be "vatruck"
Old 07-23-2003, 03:43 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hey vajeep!

I think if you are going with the 22' International, I think you'll be just fine with your V8 Jeep. I just follow the info on the thread about brakes, hitch, sway, weight bars, etc.

Other than that the 22' International has a 5300lb gross weight. I think you'd pass fine with that. I could tow it with my '96 Caprice. If the International didn't have a wet bath and had the bed in back like the 28' International, that's exactly what I would have bought and my '96 only has a 5000lb tow rating. I have made several mods to the car where it could if I was crazy enough tow upwards of 6500lbs, but I was not willing to do it and the Bambi fit the bill far better in weight and what we were looking for as a layout in the coach. If the 22' is to your liking, your Jeep should do just fine! It's only if you go larger where I think you might want to consider going with a more robust tow vehicle. 3/4 for a 22' International might be way overkill. I'd consider the 3/4 ton if your plans are to go bigger than 22' later on. But for now, at 22' your Jeep V8 will do just fine. If you really want to swap tow vehicles, and you are not planning on going larger, maybe if it costs less 1/2 ton would be just fine.

Eric
Old 07-23-2003, 03:45 PM   #14
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Be Smart, Be Safe

One of the things I love about this forum is that most members bring a wonderful batch of knowledge (and humor) when dealing with those pesky remodel problems and when the knowledge deals with potentially DANGEROUS situations they are right up front there too!! I have been in the position of being the driver of an SUV that had its trailer pulling it and it is not where I ever want to go again... its like somebody took the steering wheel away! Anyway, research all the links here for info because it really is worth it... hard to put the egg back together again after. Good Luck and be safe. Leigh

PS Don't know your preferences, but we bought our 78 Argosy Minuet 22' because we loved the many windows open look and also it was made during the fuel crisis of the 70's so the Argosy is lighter weight than the earlier AS. Food for thought.