Old 07-23-2003, 02:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Hey Eric,
Thanks for your support. What worries me is the Jeep as an curb wt of only 4550! and its maxgvwr is 5500. I fear being the "dog that is wagged by its tail" One of the previous posts got my attention, if you can go to the link on the post.
Will keep you posted!

vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 03:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Even with our 19' GlobeTrotter which weighs under 3500 lbs loaded

We towed with our Jeep (not Grand) Cherokee...I wouldn't advise it, especially if you plan on any mountain travel. On paper everything was supposed to work (towing to 5000 lbs) reality, it was a different story. Here's a link to a previous discussion about towing with a Grand Cherokee and our regular Cherokee....bottomline, we now have a Yukon!

InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 04:01 PM   #17
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know, I didn't know that was the GVWR of the Jeep. You know though, my max GVWR of the Caprice is 5380. I tow a trailer weight of about 4600lbs. That is only a difference of 4 passengers between the weight of the 19' gross Bambi and my '96 Caprice. Yet the car has a lower center of gravity, etc. When I tow, it's almost like it's one piece of steel. Very stable, very agile, very poor gas mileage!

It has zero issues at all towing. Braking, I could stop on a dime and get a nickles change. As far as emergancy manuvers, had a few in about 1200 miles of towing, especially in the larger cities. Cut off, etc. The car did as any car could with a good skill set behind the wheel.

Heck before the high power big frame pickup trucks, Airstreams used to be towed by regular sedans (of course they weighed a bit less perhaps).

At any rate, I for one always err on the side of saftey and you gotta go with your gut. My .02 simply say that you do not need a truck or a high power diesel to tow a 22' trailer, larger than 22', you bet!

As I said earlier, the wheel base of the GC does concern me a bit, but a 19', no problem. 22' I feel passable as long as you get the gear. Over 22', get another tow vehicle.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 06:47 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Thumbs up Thanks all!!!

Well the answer is.....
After reading all the advice on our forum and asking members I have ordered the 2500 Suburban. As a Jeep owner it was hard to learn that a Jeep even with a V-8 and the tow pkg is "ok" to tow, but after looking at all the facts (mostly from this forum) I have a much better understaning of towing. The burb is 12 weeks away and our A/S is about 6-7 months away. Would rather have the tow vehicle first!!!
Thanks again!
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 08:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
That will give you plenty of time to break in your Burb so it will be ready to tow. I think you will have a much more pleasureable experience. Have fun.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 09:47 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
1984 29' Sovereign
Riverview , Florida
I have a 2500 Suburban and tow a 29Ft. Sovereign. Its a great combination. The long wheel base of the Suburban makes a huge difference. I think you will love the Suburban.

newae is offline   Reply With Quote