Old 01-09-2011, 06:50 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Montana.

Glacier should be slightly less busy in September, and worth a look. The surrounding forests are full of federal campsites. A beautiful part of the country. We're going back this summer.

Maggie
Wow that is really nice....Man everyone keeps showing these amazing pics and our list gets longer and longer. Guess its a good thing we are starting these trips young.

Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:39 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
This is a wonderful thread I hope more people post their favorite areas!

It is so great to hear other AS'ers views on places they actually go to and like vs. reading about an area in a book or guide.

It is so helpful.

Please keep them coming!

Lin.

WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:50 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith84 View Post
Thanks TG Twinkie,

I'm looking into this because me and my wife have always talked about riding a train and I have always wanted to fly fish so I may consider some time in Durango. I have been there before but was very young. Thanks for you pictures. Would September be a good time of year for that trip or would you adivse another time?
If you like to fish and also want to ride the train, Durango and southern Colorado would be a great destination. We did a fly fishing and cycling trip last summer through gunnison, salida, Buena vista, pages springs, creede, and Chama, NM. I had time I would have added ouray as well. There are great fishing rivers there and it is beautiful that time of year. We camped with the airstream on the Taylor fork, Arkansas, and rio blanco rivers and fished several more. There are some beautiful nfs campgrounds right on the Taylor fork and the gunnison river is 15 minutes away.

Good luck planning your trip!

Sandy
Old 01-09-2011, 03:44 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Trains & Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith84 View Post
Thanks TG Twinkie,

I'm looking into this because me and my wife have always talked about riding a train and I have always wanted to fly fish so I may consider some time in Durango. I have been there before but was very young. Thanks for you pictures. Would September be a good time of year for that trip or would you adivse another time?
Chama has a narrow gauge RR,that runs over the pass into Co.,also great trout fishing in Chama River & Willow Creek.
Then there is good camping @ Heron Lake. Dave
Old 01-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Just checked the map, and I didn't realize how far east Newton is. If you just want to get out of the heat, either up (in altitude) or north is probably where you want to go. If you can delay your trip a week or two into mid-September to mid-October, the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta is a great destination in early October. Check out other posts on the Fiesta from last fall. Also, the 4CU plans a trip there every year (I think), and we had a great time with a bunch of other Airstreamers last October. Also, Albuquerque/Santa Fe is in the mountains and there's lots of cool camping areas in the NM Rockies, where you won't have to drive so far.

If you are near Carlsbad Caverns that is a great cave adventure, though the camping in the immediate area isn't much of a destination. However, Ruidoso and Cloudcroft are in the mountains, nearby; and there's good camping there.

It may still be a little warm in September, but the Missouri Ozarks are a shorter drive, too; and they are pretty in the fall. Lots of camping and fishing there.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
You can check here for lots and lots of public campgrounds, GPS data, and links to camp's web sites, etc...

Just move the map around to find the area you're interested in and zoom in...

Be sure to check the pull down menu in the upper RH corner of the map window for other views, Sat views, Topo views, etc..

They even have an 'APP' for your 'i' device...

ALL US AND CANADA CAMPGROUNDS: STATE PARKS NATIONAL PARKS FORESTS MORE california oregon washington new york pennsylvania more

I can spend hours on this site looking at neat places to visit...good travels!
Old 01-09-2011, 06:34 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Wow thanks everyone, so glad everyone has chimed in and given so much info.(Some have even looked at the map to see where Newton,TX is!) I had been on the internet trying to find neat stuff but wasnt having a lot of luck so I decided to make a post and ask where to go. Everyone has given me great sites to go to and even mobile apps to use along the way. Just wanted to tell everyone thanks so much for the help since it would take forever to respond to everyone individually. Everyones input has been noted and checked out and we are so excited!!(Thats a good thing!) Hopefully before long we will be able to share our stories and sightings with new Aser's instead of asking for ides. We cant wait to get out on the open road and meet up with some of you. Thanks for everything!
Old 01-09-2011, 06:36 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
You are young and seeking adventure? I'd head towards east Tennessee/west North Carolina.. I'd be looking to meet some hillbillies and get some pictures, or even better, videos.
You'd probably need to dress down.
A friend went over there on a <family> visit (wife's side) and went to church on sunday to a church that was perched on top of a mountain and held in place by cables.

He said it was interesting but felt out of place cause he was different.

This guy looks interesting. He likes watermelon and might need some more boards.. not sure..

YouTube - A Simple Life in the Appalachian Mountains - Chapter I
Old 01-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
I second the Blue Ridge Parkway, especially the North Carolina parts. It is so cool compared to Texas and Arkansas. I'll try to send you some photos. It is one of the most beautiful unspoiled places in the country as far as I'm concerned.

My second choice would be up around Lake Erie somewhere in Ohio. We were there last July and slept without air conditioning. It was soooooooo comfortable after we almost burned to a crisp here in Arkansas.

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #38
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Just get on U.S._Route_287 at Woodville.

It'll take you past Bent's Fort and all along the Front Range in Colorado, then straight on to Yellowstone Nat'l Park.

1,800 miles from Port Arthur well into Montana.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Just get on U.S._Route_287 at Woodville.

It'll take you past Bent's Fort and all along the Front Range in Colorado, then straight on to Yellowstone Nat'l Park.

1,800 miles from Port Arthur well into Montana.
Had no idea that 287 ran that far... Thats intresting! How's the scenery anything special along the way?
Old 01-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #40
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
It's sentimental for me: leaving Dallas en route to Boulder in the back seat of a 383-powered '59 Dodge as a kid. Or a 428 equipped '66 Ford Country Squire. Early dawn to past dusk for a one-day 800 mile trip. No traffic compared to today (one could still ride passenger trains), and no chain retail, either.

The Interstate routes are okay, but 287 all the way to Denver takes one across the Texas prairie onto the Plains and High Plains: Palo Duro Canyon and Alibates Flint Quarry near Amarillo, Bent's Fort in SE Colorado, the Denver/Boulder/Longmont area and on up past Cheyenne.

One can find a point to cut west to SW Colorado (also recommended), and then resume the route north after diversions.

Or use it to return from well up north.

Of course, to be serious one needs to dip a toe in the water at Port Arthur (I've done this) and then start the run north. Through Fort Worth, and again through the Denver metro area it's a major city street, but I find that of interest as well. It helps to map the "difficult" areas so as to make them easier to navigate.

This is the very road I like to think of for trips away from Texas. Once the mountains come into view so long a ways off there is an end to the heat . . . .

Scroll a Google map down to the distance that makes the highway numbers visible, and move the cursor around to see what's what.

If nothing else, the variety of well-servicing oil field custom-configured trucks and equipment you'll see is impressive from SE Texas past Wyoming. Not to mention cattle haulers and the rest. It's one highly important highway in that respect. The changes are interesting to note, not just forest to tall-grass to short grass to desert and all.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:56 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawChick View Post
I second the Blue Ridge Parkway, especially the North Carolina parts. It is so cool compared to Texas and Arkansas. I'll try to send you some photos. It is one of the most beautiful unspoiled places in the country as far as I'm concerned.

My second choice would be up around Lake Erie somewhere in Ohio. We were there last July and slept without air conditioning. It was soooooooo comfortable after we almost burned to a crisp here in Arkansas.

Hi Lawchick,

I did check out the Blue Ridge Parkway and it will be on the To Go List Pics are always great....Thanks for your input.....Hang in there with your new AS I been following your blogs and post to see how your doing. Tell Ray to hang in there, once you get over the downs and get to the ups you start to wonder if there were any downs. I take it one problem at a time one day at a time.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
It's sentimental for me: leaving Dallas en route to Boulder in the back seat of a 383-powered '59 Dodge as a kid. Or a 428 equipped '66 Ford Country Squire. Early dawn to past dusk for a one-day 800 mile trip. No traffic compared to today (one could still ride passenger trains), and no chain retail, either.

The Interstate routes are okay, but 287 all the way to Denver takes one across the Texas prairie onto the Plains and High Plains: Palo Duro Canyon and Alibates Flint Quarry near Amarillo, Bent's Fort in SE Colorado, the Denver/Boulder/Longmont area and on up past Cheyenne.

One can find a point to cut west to SW Colorado (also recommended), and then resume the route north after diversions.

Or use it to return from well up north.

Of course, to be serious one needs to dip a toe in the water at Port Arthur (I've done this) and then start the run north. Through Fort Worth, and again through the Denver metro area it's a major city street, but I find that of interest as well. It helps to map the "difficult" areas so as to make them easier to navigate.

This is the very road I like to think of for trips away from Texas. Once the mountains come into view so long a ways off there is an end to the heat . . . .

Scroll a Google map down to the distance that makes the highway numbers visible, and move the cursor around to see what's what.

If nothing else, the variety of well-servicing oil field custom-configured trucks and equipment you'll see is impressive from SE Texas past Wyoming. Not to mention cattle haulers and the rest. It's one highly important highway in that respect. The changes are interesting to note, not just forest to tall-grass to short grass to desert and all.

Thanks for sharing that info. Its always good to here why such highways are special to people. I've been on 287 before and never knew it ran so far or what it had to offer. Been to Port Aurthor many many time its right out my back door.

I can do without the oilfield stuff as thats what I do and will be trying to get away from. But in a way it would be nice to pass by it and wave to the poor guys working.....there's a bright side to everything right?

Tags
destinations