Old 01-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Wow look at all the replies thanks everyone, I'm Googling now! LOL... Keep the ideas coming I can put them all to use. Might turn into a multiple stop trip!!!

Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Angel Fire ,Taos,Santa Fe and Chama are great places in N.Mexico,just remember to bring a jacket. Dave

Old 01-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
There are obviously a lot of choices in the USA, some excellent suggestions have been made. The Rocky Mtns and the Sierra Nevada Mtns are the obvious choices to me, many spots there have been mentioned. Don't forget the Jackson, WY and Yellowstone areas.
Sounds like a wonderful time, a great deal of the fun is in the planning!
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #18
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
Creede/S. Fork CO. at 8500 and 8300 ft. respectively. In the valleys, frosts appear in August.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
Angel Fire ,Taos,Santa Fe and Chama are great places in N.Mexico,just remember to bring a jacket. Dave

Funny you should say that but we are traveling to Angel Fire Mid February for a ski trip and the AS wont be ready by then .
Old 01-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
I agree with azflycaster. Southwest Colorado. In late September the aspens will be turning. Lots to see. The Durango Silverton Narrow Gauge Train ride is worth the money in my opinion. Ouray, Colorado is known as the Switzerland of the U.S.. Mesa Verde is another interesting visit. If you go to Durango, CO be sure to check out the Alpen Rose campground, I stayed there last fall, beautiful setting, quiet, CLEAN and really nice folks. Close to virtually everything. Check out their website.
Thanks TG Twinkie,

I'm looking into this because me and my wife have always talked about riding a train and I have always wanted to fly fish so I may consider some time in Durango. I have been there before but was very young. Thanks for you pictures. Would September be a good time of year for that trip or would you adivse another time?
Old 01-08-2011, 11:10 PM   #21
Upgrading piece by piece

1967 22' Safari
Jackson , Wyoming
There's a train from kingman Arizona to the grand canyon. Get in the party caboose, u won't regret it. Snacks and cocktails and a classy experience. tV park there is all paved with gravel pet track, but u only need to b there 1-2 nights.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
September is the perfect time of year. Kids are back in school; the weather is great. Things tend to slow down quite a bit after Labor Day. You might even find that the campground & Rv Park fees are reduced; can't guarantee that. I was there in October of 2010 and everywhere I stayed the fees were reduced. Most of that information is on the various websites. Don't know which way you would be headed, but I would highly recommend Hwy 160 over Wolf Creek Pass. Here's a few more shots and a couple of the campground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Looking west from Wolf Creek Pass R.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	119013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alpen Rose Campground r.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	119014  

Name:	AR-4 R.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	119015  
Old 01-09-2011, 01:52 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Just my opinion, California has lots to see and is beautiful, but New Mexico, Colorado and Utah, and of course Arizona, are closer and have more dispersed camping opportunities. If you'd like to spend more time camping than driving, I'd at least consider a route that includes these areas, instead of the more direct I-10 across southern Arizona. There are lots of cool areas above 6000 feet in all of these states.

Also, there's a lot to be said about "just wingin' it". Some of our most memorable road trips had only a turn-around point in mind, with wandering being our primary trip planning. As far as an itinerary, we drove until we saw something interesting, then stayed until we got bored. Sometimes, we didn't even make it to our turn-around point before it was time to head home.

Check out the National Parks Web site for camping ideas in the Four-Corners states: www.nps.gov

If you haven't frequented National Parks in the past, get the America the Beautiful annual pass ($80). If you have a month to travel, you are sure to get your money's worth; and you'll continue to enjoy it for the next year. Also, if you are 62, you can get the senior pass for $10; and camping is half-price with this pass, in many areas.

Also, don't forget National Forest, BLM and state parks; and there are lots of boondocking opportunities, too.

By the way, I think the Grand Canyon Railway departs from Williams, AZ, a few miles west of Flagstaff. Kingman is near the California border on the old Route 66 (now I-40).
Old 01-09-2011, 01:59 AM   #24

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
We like Colorado. We spent time in Arapaho National Forest and then Buenavista CO. There are lots of things to do.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1032065474.png
Views:	74
Size:	921.5 KB
ID:	119024   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-732205336.png
Views:	71
Size:	955.9 KB
ID:	119025  

blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:21 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Blmitch5, is that Dillon Reservoir? -- Guess there are lots of views like this in the Colorado Rockies.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:35 AM   #26

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix
Blmitch5, is that Dillon Reservoir? -- Guess there are lots of views like this in the Colorado Rockies.
Yup Dillon. It's kinda sad though, the pine beetles have killed a Tom of trees. But it's still pretty.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2944424794.png
Views:	59
Size:	844.0 KB
ID:	119026   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2553097344.png
Views:	68
Size:	728.0 KB
ID:	119028  

blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:47 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Montana.

Glacier should be slightly less busy in September, and worth a look. The surrounding forests are full of federal campsites. A beautiful part of the country. We're going back this summer.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1932.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	119038  
Old 01-09-2011, 06:47 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Just my opinion, California has lots to see and is beautiful, but New Mexico, Colorado and Utah, and of course Arizona, are closer and have more dispersed camping opportunities. If you'd like to spend more time camping than driving, I'd at least consider a route that includes these areas, instead of the more direct I-10 across southern Arizona. There are lots of cool areas above 6000 feet in all of these states.

Also, there's a lot to be said about "just wingin' it". Some of our most memorable road trips had only a turn-around point in mind, with wandering being our primary trip planning. As far as an itinerary, we drove until we saw something interesting, then stayed until we got bored. Sometimes, we didn't even make it to our turn-around point before it was time to head home.

Check out the National Parks Web site for camping ideas in the Four-Corners states: www.nps.gov

If you haven't frequented National Parks in the past, get the America the Beautiful annual pass ($80). If you have a month to travel, you are sure to get your money's worth; and you'll continue to enjoy it for the next year. Also, if you are 62, you can get the senior pass for $10; and camping is half-price with this pass, in many areas.

Also, don't forget National Forest, BLM and state parks; and there are lots of boondocking opportunities, too.

By the way, I think the Grand Canyon Railway departs from Williams, AZ, a few miles west of Flagstaff. Kingman is near the California border on the old Route 66 (now I-40).
Thanks for the info on the America Pass...we are far from 62 (27 & 24) but thanks again for the parks and camping sights...California is on our list but we are going to start small and work our way out to the West Coast. We both enjoy the mountains but Mrs. S heart is lost in the blue ocean. So we will make it there one day.

Tags
destinations