Old 06-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' International CCD
Rosebud , Texas
Just leaving Estes Park tomorrow after a wonderful 2 weeks fishing, hiking and biking. La Casa De Plata was a wonderful cocoon to recharge our batteries and enjoy the cool weather. Back to Texas.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #30
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fam-Bambi View Post
We were going to stay at an Airstream only park called Shooting Star but it closed and kept our deposit.
Ouch-- that's not good. Maybe there's a way to retrieve it?

We stayed there last year and really enjoyed it. I hope somebody else buys the place and keeps it up.

For cooler weather there are numerous US Forest Service campgrounds in Utah & northern Arizona. Some are small and on bad roads, but the ones where you'd take an AS will get you up into cooler weather.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:33 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Columbus , Indiana
The Shooting Star website looked great and it was close to Bryce. I am glad to hear you say that Ruby's Inn is a good alternative.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Ivins , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fam-Bambi View Post
We are leaving Indiana on the 4th of July for an 18-day-trip to Arches, Bryce and the Grand Canyon. Two adults and two 15-year-old daughters will be camping in our 22-foot FB Bambi Sport. We know it will be hot but this was the only time we could all get away for this length of time. Any recommendations for activities and must-see sights?
We're headed out to southern Utah again 6/30 through 7/11. Escalante, Dead Horse Point, Arches, Capitol Reef, and Monument Valley are on the itinerary. There's just so much to see!

Dead Horse Point, near Moab, provides a 200 degree view of Canyonlands. We had a very fun river raft trip on the Colorado River in Moab.

When we were near Bryce last year, we stayed at Kodachrome Basin state park, spectacular red rock formations. If you happen to be near Boulder, UT, there's a wonderful farm-to-table restaurant called Hells Backbone Grille...

Too bad about Shooting Star - we had a blast there last year; he wouldnt take a reservation when I called earlier this year, due to "closed for renovations". Sadly, it seems to be more (or less) than that...

It's spectacular country - I know you will have a great time and memorable trip whatever you end up doing!
Steve
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverino View Post
We're headed out to southern Utah again 6/30 through 7/11. Escalante, Dead Horse Point, Arches, Capitol Reef, and Monument Valley are on the itinerary. There's just so much to see!

Dead Horse Point, near Moab, provides a 200 degree view of Canyonlands. We had a very fun river raft trip on the Colorado River in Moab.

When we were near Bryce last year, we stayed at Kodachrome Basin state park, spectacular red rock formations. If you happen to be near Boulder, UT, there's a wonderful farm-to-table restaurant called Hells Backbone Grille...

Too bad about Shooting Star - we had a blast there last year; he wouldnt take a reservation when I called earlier this year, due to "closed for renovations". Sadly, it seems to be more (or less) than that...

It's spectacular country - I know you will have a great time and memorable trip whatever you end up doing!
Steve
We're heading out that way ourselves - a little later this summer -

Ottawa to

Rocky Mountain NP,
Arches/Canyonlands (staying at Dead Horse Point SP),
Mesa Verde NP
Grand Canyon (South and North)
Zion / Bryce
Yosemite
Grant Teton
Yellowstone

...and back to Ottawa.

4 Weeks - many kilometers.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Ivins , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTow View Post
That sounds like a fabulous trip!
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
2005 31' Classic
Douglass , Texas
Mid September: Smokey Mountains, then on to Jamestown, VA. area.
However long it takes.
jrudd1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverino View Post
That sounds like a fabulous trip!
Thanks - The family is certainly excited...
Old 06-25-2013, 10:49 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Torrington, WY to Vancouver, BC and back.
4073 miles. No problems with the 40 year old Argosy 26' being towed by a '08 Tundra. Left on 5/28 returned 6/20/13.
Devils Tower
Glacier NP
Many sights in Canada
Montana Mountain Ranges
Yellowstone
Big Horn Mtns
And the list goes on.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Lincoln City , Oregon
We have a trip planned in August leaving Lincoln City OR going to a Vintage Trailer Rally in Wenatchee WA, then in September going to Sandpoint ID for two weeks. We lived there from 1980 to 2000.

Then a Post Retirement trip (fulltime) to check out the country. Leaving 1 May to join up with a Vintage Trailer Campout in Pismo Beach CA the to Camp Pendleton camping at the beach two weeks, then Fallbrook CA to visit Mom. From there to Gunnison CO where my wife and I met in 1975.

After that we don't know but want to see Maine then head south for the Gulf. Texas, Georgia, Florida? I can stay on Military bases for less money and have an Access Pass for National Parks.

It will be an adventure. When we hit the road we will ask for suggestions along the way from forum members.
Dick
Old 06-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
You are going to some of my most favorite spots! I particularly loved Yosemite, Zion, and the Tetons/Yellowstone. When we were at Yellowstone, we saw countless elk and bison, but also moose, black bear, and a few grizzlies! Both Zion and Yosemite were almost otherworldly in their beauty. Rocky Mountain NP was also spectacular in the scenery and wildlife. We stayed at Dead Horse in Moab - great choice!
I want to see the Grand Canyon again; we only saw the south rim years ago for a few hours on a trip from Montana back to Florida. I'll be interested to hear about your adventures and favorite spots.

Ottawa to

Rocky Mountain NP,
Arches/Canyonlands (staying at Dead Horse Point SP),
Mesa Verde NP
Grand Canyon (South and North)
Zion / Bryce
Yosemite
Grant Teton
Yellowstone

...and back to Ottawa.

4 Weeks - many kilometers.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #40
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We really enjoy Sandpoint, ID. In interesting community with beautiful lakes and mountains, but not too big. For those who imbibe, we've enjoyed the Pend d'Oreille Winery's wine tasting with great appetizers. There is a small RV park at the Best Western. It is a nice motel, and sound-proofed from the trains going by all night long, which the RV park wouldn't be. But it is right on the water with a private beach.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Orange County , California
Wow...sounds like all of you have some great trips coming up...I am a little envious of the 4 week trips...I'm still a few years off from those...something to truly look forward to.

Colonel,

My folks lived for a few years in Lincoln City in a little town called Roads End (something like that)...what a great place to live. Are you a storm watcher? Spent many days walking around in my Gortex while up there.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Glacier National Park with my AS 28' outside of course. Getting there after the 7/4 rush.