Old 11-06-2003, 04:06 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
The NJ AS park will allow you to wash your As right oat your site if not crowded or outside in the field. Many old timers there suggested we use "IVORY FLAKES W/ WATER".

So we got a ladder, a bucket, one of those large washable chenille dust brooms, soaked it with the mix and calmly and slowly washed our Titan. He's clean and mint!

Does the Ivory soap remove the wax as the dawn soap does?

Does anyone reccomend a specific washing soap for our CCD? We have a Kmart near us.

Thanks for the advice.

PS
the other times we washed him were in the driveway. No problems there.

Old 11-06-2003, 04:22 PM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
As far as I know, Jack Canavera did extensive research on this subject. He found that a bunch of products have some sort of chemical in them that is bad for the finish. In the end I believe he found that Armor All Car Wash was the best to use, followed by a good Walburnizing (if needed).

I would not use Dawn or anything else.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...r+All+Car+Wash

Eric

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 05:16 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Salem , Massachusetts
Thanks Eric!

Off to buy the Armorall!

ciao
Old 11-06-2003, 07:23 PM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thumbs up

BTW....NEVER USE CAR WAX ON A COACH THAT HAS THE NEWER ALOCA PLASTICOAT FINISH.....

Unless of course you want to damage the plastic coated finish. From what I understand the older coaches were fine with this (but by all means, those that have pre 2000 or 1999 coaches please speak up), however only use Walburnize for waxing a coach that is 2000 or newer (possibly 1999 or newer).

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 11-06-2003, 08:10 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Salem , Massachusetts
Quote:
BTW....NEVER USE CAR WAX ON A COACH THAT HAS THE NEWER ALOCA PLASTICOAT FINISH.....Unless of course you want to damage the plastic coated finish.From what I understand the older coaches were fine with this
OK Now I'm really confused!!
Does our 2004 CCD have this 'Aloca'??!!

If yes are you saying we shouldn't use the ArmorAll??

I read Jack's thread you posted, very interesting. My understanding was that he used the Armorall on his Safari. What is he going to use on his classic?

Old 11-06-2003, 08:15 PM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
My bad....

Use Armor All Car Wash to wash, don't use any car wax to wax on say a coach newer than 1999!

Your '04 FOR SURE has the new Aloca finish and you do not want to use any type of car wax to wax it....use Walburnize.

I plan to continue to use Armor All Car Wash on the Safari as I did on the Bambi and use Walburnize super seal as well for waxing....

Eric
Old 11-06-2003, 08:50 PM   #21
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
I'm mildly confused after visiting the Walbernize website.

They have Walbernize RV Super Seal Wax which Airstream says to use on trailers 1984 and newer.

But they also have PERMAGUARD ... ???

SOAPMASTER for washing before waxing ... is this safe to use? They say it does not contain any harmful solvents.

ONE STEP WASH & WAX CONCENTRATE ... they claim can be used on clearcoat.

Hey .. I'm a newbie ... so you pros step in here and "learn me sumpthin."

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 09:10 PM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hey, Pork, all youa gotta worry about is that you gotta new coach. With dat said, youa gotta get da Superseal.

In all seriousness though, if Airstream suggests somthing, I'd follow it. For me though, I like the Armor All for washing and Walburnize Super Seal for waxing. Seems to have worked well for me for a season, but by all means, those that have more exp, please speak up.

Eric
Old 11-06-2003, 09:48 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I wonder if Zaino would work on a newer Airstream. It is not a wax, but a polish.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 10:10 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Salem , Massachusetts
Zaino??!!

Sometimes this forum gives too much information and newbies like us easily drown in it.... Need to learn fast!

Anyway thanx Eric, I think I finally got it:
- clean with Armorall wash
- wax with walburnize Super Seal
- tires with 303?? (still unclear on this)
Old 11-07-2003, 12:53 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Live and learn..

Thanks to Porky Pig..
Interesting facts:
This is what I've gleemed off the Flying J site..
Wash Services
Quote:
We give the same careful attention to your equipment that you would. We use gentle wash methods, offer wash by hand, and specify biodegradeable soap. Please ask about our volume discounts.
  • Premium Touchless Wash
    Tractor/Trailer $35.00
    Tractor $30.00
    Trailer $15.00
    Flat Trailer $10.00
    Tri-Axle Dump $25.00
    Mud—Extra $1.50/Minute
    Wax (Liquid)
    Tractor $3.00
    Trailer $5.00
    Tractor Wash—with mitts and brushes
    Conventional & Cabover $35.00
    Hotshot $30.00
    Straight Truck $35.00
    Straight Truck w/Sleeper $40.00
    Trailer Wash
    Reefer/Van/Box $30.00
    Flatbed $26.00
    Carhauler $35.00
    Tanker $35.00
    Buses $40.00
    RVs
    Under 25’ $22.00
    Over 25’ $30.00

Washouts
    Trailer (15 Minutes) $22.00
    Trailer (Over 15 Minutes) $1.50/Minute
    Tanker (Food Grade Only) $60.00
    Cars $8.00
    Small Pickup $8.00
    Large Pickup (Dualie Wheels) $16.00
    De-Icing $1.50/Minute
    Engine $10.00
ciao

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 01:08 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb It's called

Kimili
Quote:
Sometimes this forum gives too much information and newbies like us easily drown in it.... Need to learn fast!
It's called Bookmark~. Simple, create a folder called Airstream and, Bookmark, bookmark~!~ Then, it's all in there for future references~

I'm for one, so very thankful for all the wealth of information on here..I can remember 6 or 7 yrs ago surfing the W3 for anything on Airstream..Got to tell you, it was very slim pickings then`!~

Intersting fact:
I bought my first two A/S on the internet..
The first was a 1953 Flyingcloud, which I later sold on the internet as well. The second was the current unit, 1984 Sovereign. Which I was extremely lucky in finding. All I had was the word of a brother and, the pictures he send me. I sended him 2000$ in earnest money to hold the deal. And, then went shopping for a tow'er~! The unit sat in TX for over a month after that while I was getting things ready for the trip. I'd hate to think of what could've happened if I'd not send the money to hold it.
Rambl'in here...lol

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 07:42 AM   #27
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
What I use to clean the tires is plain old Dow scrubbing bubbles. Cleans the tires in a heatbeat. Just be careful not to get a bunch of it on the rims....I know folks will freak out, but after they dry I place a thin coating of fresh motor oil on the tires once a year between all the cleanings. It keeps the tires from dry rotting and frankly to me, if it does damage the tires, I gotta tell you, before any possilbe (not definate) damage would occour from this, the tires would long be replaced as tires should be replace good, bad or otherwise after 3-5 seasons of use.

The Zaino is a good question. There are a bunch of folks that love it in the car forums, but for an Airstream.....I think I'll stick to what the factory suggests...it's also far less expensive.

But hey we are millionare RVers right?

Eric
Old 11-07-2003, 08:59 AM   #28
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
I plan on using the Zaino clay bars and other items on my new F-350 ...

but I have my doubts about using it on the AS .. totally different type of finish. I agree, I'll stick with the Walbernize.

ALso, I have a friend with a 2000 34' Classic ... he has never waxed his trailer ... just hoses it down once in a while ... it looks great.

Perhaps the new finish is vastly improved?

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote