Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-06-2003, 07:50 PM   #21
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
I'm mildly confused after visiting the Walbernize website.

They have Walbernize RV Super Seal Wax which Airstream says to use on trailers 1984 and newer.

But they also have PERMAGUARD ... ???

SOAPMASTER for washing before waxing ... is this safe to use? They say it does not contain any harmful solvents.

ONE STEP WASH & WAX CONCENTRATE ... they claim can be used on clearcoat.

Hey .. I'm a newbie ... so you pros step in here and "learn me sumpthin."

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 08:10 PM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hey, Pork, all youa gotta worry about is that you gotta new coach. With dat said, youa gotta get da Superseal.

In all seriousness though, if Airstream suggests somthing, I'd follow it. For me though, I like the Armor All for washing and Walburnize Super Seal for waxing. Seems to have worked well for me for a season, but by all means, those that have more exp, please speak up.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 08:48 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I wonder if Zaino would work on a newer Airstream. It is not a wax, but a polish.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 09:10 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Zaino??!!

Sometimes this forum gives too much information and newbies like us easily drown in it.... Need to learn fast!

Anyway thanx Eric, I think I finally got it:
- clean with Armorall wash
- wax with walburnize Super Seal
- tires with 303?? (still unclear on this)
Old 11-06-2003, 11:53 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Live and learn..

Thanks to Porky Pig..
Interesting facts:
This is what I've gleemed off the Flying J site..
Wash Services
Quote:
We give the same careful attention to your equipment that you would. We use gentle wash methods, offer wash by hand, and specify biodegradeable soap. Please ask about our volume discounts.
  • Premium Touchless Wash
    Tractor/Trailer $35.00
    Tractor $30.00
    Trailer $15.00
    Flat Trailer $10.00
    Tri-Axle Dump $25.00
    Mud—Extra $1.50/Minute
    Wax (Liquid)
    Tractor $3.00
    Trailer $5.00
    Tractor Wash—with mitts and brushes
    Conventional & Cabover $35.00
    Hotshot $30.00
    Straight Truck $35.00
    Straight Truck w/Sleeper $40.00
    Trailer Wash
    Reefer/Van/Box $30.00
    Flatbed $26.00
    Carhauler $35.00
    Tanker $35.00
    Buses $40.00
    RVs
    Under 25’ $22.00
    Over 25’ $30.00

Washouts
    Trailer (15 Minutes) $22.00
    Trailer (Over 15 Minutes) $1.50/Minute
    Tanker (Food Grade Only) $60.00
    Cars $8.00
    Small Pickup $8.00
    Large Pickup (Dualie Wheels) $16.00
    De-Icing $1.50/Minute
    Engine $10.00
ciao

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 12:08 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb It's called

Kimili
Quote:
Sometimes this forum gives too much information and newbies like us easily drown in it.... Need to learn fast!
It's called Bookmark~. Simple, create a folder called Airstream and, Bookmark, bookmark~!~ Then, it's all in there for future references~

I'm for one, so very thankful for all the wealth of information on here..I can remember 6 or 7 yrs ago surfing the W3 for anything on Airstream..Got to tell you, it was very slim pickings then`!~

Intersting fact:
I bought my first two A/S on the internet..
The first was a 1953 Flyingcloud, which I later sold on the internet as well. The second was the current unit, 1984 Sovereign. Which I was extremely lucky in finding. All I had was the word of a brother and, the pictures he send me. I sended him 2000$ in earnest money to hold the deal. And, then went shopping for a tow'er~! The unit sat in TX for over a month after that while I was getting things ready for the trip. I'd hate to think of what could've happened if I'd not send the money to hold it.
Rambl'in here...lol

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 06:42 AM   #27
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
What I use to clean the tires is plain old Dow scrubbing bubbles. Cleans the tires in a heatbeat. Just be careful not to get a bunch of it on the rims....I know folks will freak out, but after they dry I place a thin coating of fresh motor oil on the tires once a year between all the cleanings. It keeps the tires from dry rotting and frankly to me, if it does damage the tires, I gotta tell you, before any possilbe (not definate) damage would occour from this, the tires would long be replaced as tires should be replace good, bad or otherwise after 3-5 seasons of use.

The Zaino is a good question. There are a bunch of folks that love it in the car forums, but for an Airstream.....I think I'll stick to what the factory suggests...it's also far less expensive.

But hey we are millionare RVers right?

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 07:59 AM   #28
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
I plan on using the Zaino clay bars and other items on my new F-350 ...

but I have my doubts about using it on the AS .. totally different type of finish. I agree, I'll stick with the Walbernize.

ALso, I have a friend with a 2000 34' Classic ... he has never waxed his trailer ... just hoses it down once in a while ... it looks great.

Perhaps the new finish is vastly improved?

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 02:57 PM   #29
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Pressure Washer Anyone

After washing my 345 by hand a few times I broke down and purhcased an el cheapo electric pressure washer from Wal-Mart. I think it was about 60 bucks. It has a little soap attachment that puts on a lot of foaming bubbles in seconds. I can soap up one whole side in about 90 seconds. I use turtle wax car wash (does not strip wax) and an extendable pole with a soft wash brush (also from Wal-Mart) to get her clean. Then I rinse again with the pressure was set to a wide fan. I washed the whole rig last weekend in about 30 minutes. Not a perfect job but it got 3000 miles of snow, rain, sleat and bugs off of her.

It also seems to use less water than hand washing. I think the pressure washer needs more pressure on the inlet side than a little RV water pump could provide but I certainly could plug it into the coach AC and a city water source at a campground (if they let me).

One note of caution...I sprayed it with the nozzle set on high a little too close to the grey paint on the bottom and it took some paint off in under a second. Not a big deal for me since I'm repainting the bottom anyway but it happened before I could do anything about it. Now I start the spray with the nozzle pointing down at the ground, set the nozzle and then point it at the coach.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 10:48 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
time for a wash

Ok I am a newbie and its time for a wash. I have read a lot here and now I am sorry but I still have a few questions...

What special care does my 2003 need for the rubber roof?

Can I walbernize the striping? or uses 303 on that and the tires?

And do you think Avon's Skin So Soft is alright for a bug and tar remover. I always used on the cars, so I hope I did not do a bad thing using it. I also used some glass cleaner before I knew better. Have I ruined the finish or can I fix what I have done?

And do the rock shields need different care and what material are they? And the care of the gas tank cover?

Lastly what do you do to keep the wheels nice and shiny?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 11:29 PM   #31
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Thumbs down

Crazy prices. I'm glad I live not far from Jacques Chirac's house

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 05:57 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Clay Bars

Clay bars are great for getting bugs and ground in dirt off of your Airstream or vehicle paint job. You would not believe how much crap you can get off of a WINDOW with one of these simple marvals. Just make sure you use plenty of lubricant.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 08:09 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Steven I also use a pressure washer, just don't get too close to the trailer. The supply side of the washer is only concerned with volume not pressure, so if you have more water available than the unit pumps, and you do with your onboard water, you will have no problems. Has anyone ever use a pressure washer with a no pressurized supply such as a plastic bucket of water?I think it would work if the supply hose was filled before putting it in the bucket.
I don't normally use soap to wash, clear water and wax afterwards. Some road film requires a little polish to remove.

Rick
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 08:13 AM   #34
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Re: time for a wash

Quote:
Originally posted by wheel interested
Ok I am a newbie and its time for a wash.

Carol,
It is my understanding that the white roof is not rubber but a paint coating put on by alcoa. If that is the case it should be treated just like the rest of the unit, a gentle washing followed by Walbernizeing. If I have the wrong information please correct me. BTW I am going to be putting a Elastomeric coating on the roof of my vintage unit when we polish

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 12:08 PM   #35

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Re: time for a wash

Quote:
Originally posted by wheel interested
Ok I am a newbie and its time for a wash. I have read a lot here and now I am sorry but I still have a few questions...

Can I walbernize the striping? or uses 303 on that and the tires?

And do you think Avon's Skin So Soft is alright for a bug and tar remover. I always used on the cars, so I hope I did not do a bad thing using it. I also used some glass cleaner before I knew better. Have I ruined the finish or can I fix what I have done?

And do the rock shields need different care and what material are they? And the care of the gas tank cover?

Lastly what do you do to keep the wheels nice and shiny?
No rubber roof so just wash it like you do the rest of your trailer. The Walbernize Super Seal will not hurt the striping. Use 303 on the tires. It has no petroleum products which tend to dry out the UV compounds in your trailer tires.

Use Armorall car wash. It removes the bugs and tar. A little Walbernize will also work. I wash my trailer before and after every trip. It helps keep the tar and bugs from adhereing. The rock shields are not aluminum so Walbernize will not work well there. I have used Walbernize but its a real job to get that finish streakless. The gas tank cover is aluminum so Walbernize that. I wash the wheels with Armorall car wash also. They stay bright and shiney.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 01:48 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Wlabernize makes everything you need for the A/S. Soapmaster is not too strong but gets the bugs and dirt off and rinses clean. Super Seal is the only "wax" to use, period. Can't believe how good it looks! The Mr. Slick Tire Cleaner makes the tires look like new and is cheaper than Armourall. Alumbrite cleans those A/S wheels without any elbow grease. I ordered it all for my new Classic to keep it lookin new and so far so good!

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote