Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2017, 07:29 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Mount Dora , Florida
Where to stay in Yellowstone NP?

Leaving AS at home pulling 14' M/C trailer w/overnight accommodations from FL to Sturgis M/C Rally. After the Rally, flying out 10 yr old grandson and will pick him up in Billings, Montana then on to Yellowstone NP. Only need electric but would like campground showers. Where would you camp inside Yellowstone? Do I need reservations or are sites 1st come 1st served? Any other Yellowstone tips greatly appreciated. Will greatly miss the Airstream but I can only pull one at a time… THANKS in advance for your insight!!!
Attached Images

RLWardd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Going from Billings to Yellowstone, I stayed in Red Lodge, Mt.
It was (and I assume still is) a cool little town. I stayed at a campground NE of town a little bit.
But, to get to Yellowstone, you need to cross the Beartooth Pass, one of my favorite motorcycle roads. Charles Kuralt called it the "most beautiful road in America." It maybe #2 or #3 in my book, but it sure is stunning. It's also not for the faint of heart because it may be sleeting on the pass, and once you're over there's only one way back. (unless you go 400 miles out of your way.) Down into Cook City and into NE Yellowstone.

More facilities can be found near West Yellowstone and Bozeman.
But I'd see the Beartooth and the Chief Joseph scenic highway while you're there.

Sorry I'm no help inside Yellowstone.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Fishing Bridge RV campground is only one within Yellowstone with hookups, whether you just need power, there's water and sewer
Don't remember but FB maybe restricted to hard sided units only because of bears. Yellowstone South Gate there is Flagg Ranch, west gate in town of West Yellowstone, there is Grizzly RV Park in town, KOA 8 miles west of town. North gate in Gardiner MT are several campgrounds with utilities. East Gate, Cody is best bet, but a long ways to drive into park. A few suggestions.
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
We stayed at Fishing Bridge RV Park a couple years ago. Reservations recommended, especially now.

Yellowstone is awesome, but crowded. Very crowded. Especially the popular spots; you are better arriving literally at dawn if you plan to avoid the crushes of people off tour buses.

The park has a lot of great hiking, however check at the Ranger stations for advice and prepare accordingly.

Services are very comprehensive in the central areas with hotels, fuel, groceries and supplies being available.

I would definitely pay attention to current road construction status. We were stuck in a several mile traffic jam trundling through deeply rutted and pitted roads which were in chaos on one drive we did around the Park.

Roads in were quite steep, so take it easy.

Having said that, it is a very special place, and worth it to see, imho.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
At Fishing Bridge the sites are very tight and small (you also can no longer fish off the bridge). Madison is a lot more roomy, but I am not sure about utilities and facilities. Not sure how easy it is to get a first come campsite.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:05 AM   #6
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Some of the campgrounds in YS are in more active Grizzly areas. They don't allow canvas or soft sided trailers. We were in a pop up several years ago, and were restricted where we could camp. I can't remember which were restricted, you may want to check.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:31 AM   #7
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Outside the west entrance near the town of West Yellowstone there are several Nat. Forest campgrounds that we found very nice. They had electric on site with water and dump nearby. We did not need shower facilities so don't know if or what they had but it was a great option for us when we had no reservations and found Yellowstone park CG's filled.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
We are leaving for Yellowstone in about a week. We booked at Grant Campground 6 months ago. We wanted to reserve a site at Madison too but was booked up for the larger sites. I'm expecting to do a lot of driving around the park to see the key attractions, iffy weather and probably lots of bugs of the blood sucking nature.

Kelvin
Old 05-25-2017, 11:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Coincidentally the Long Long Honeymoon couple have just put out a video on Yellowstone:
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:58 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Newcastle , Oklahoma
We road our motorcycles to Yellowstone and camped in Canyon Village. It was centrally located which made it easy access to the sights in any direction. Stay at least 2 weeks, there is a lot to see and take warm clothing. Also, take plenty of bug repellent. And finally, yes, you do want to make reservations.

Enjoy the trip, it sounds like fun!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:03 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Houston , Texas
Camp sites

We just got off from Yellowstone, stayed in bridge Bay one night no hookups but has bath room facility, fish bridge would be the best for hook up and facilities, road is closed to north due to washed out, Madison is only other camp open until June
Madison was fully booked
Top69dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:08 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to jtwind Send a message via MSN to jtwind Send a message via Yahoo to jtwind
Yes, fishing bridge is the only campground in Yellowstone with hook ups! You are close together so if heading to Yellowstone to hang out in your trailer not ideal. But as a basecamp for hiking and exploring it is great and more or less centrally located. You will need reservations if you want to be assured of a spot. I'm sure there are private campgrounds outside of the park but remember Yellowstone is very large and if you are say camping outside to the north it could well take you 2-3 hours to get to the otherside of the park.
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:38 PM   #13
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Highly recommend Rocky Mountain RV park in Gardiner. Right at the North Enteance. Nice drive from Billing through Paradise Valley. Reservations needed. Very nice, great view, clean shower and laundry. I bit further away in Paradise Valley is a wonderful little KOA, small, but clean, very clean. Reservations also needed. Ask for a spot on the river. Amazing. Stayed at both last year and can't wait to get back. Both are out of the park itself but very close and much less crowded.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:43 PM   #14
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
The park will be swamped with campers. People line up very early for departing campers at the first-come, first serve campgrounds. We've heard that the CG at Mammoth Hot Springs in the park is some better, and there are some RV parks in town just north of the park.

Apparently the first-come, first serve Coulter Bay CG in the Grand Tetons National Park, just to the south of Yellowstone, seldom fills up.

We've stayed at the Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone: a nice place, if expensive.

It looks like you'll be camping in a soft-sided pop-up trailer, which might eliminate high-end RV parks; plus campgrounds in the park where bears are frequent visitors.

Most of the thermal features in the park are on the west side.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:28 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Going from Billings to Yellowstone, I stayed in Red Lodge, Mt.
It was (and I assume still is) a cool little town. I stayed at a campground NE of town a little bit.
But, to get to Yellowstone, you need to cross the Beartooth Pass, one of my favorite motorcycle roads. Charles Kuralt called it the "most beautiful road in America." It maybe #2 or #3 in my book, but it sure is stunning. It's also not for the faint of heart because it may be sleeting on the pass, and once you're over there's only one way back. (unless you go 400 miles out of your way.) Down into Cook City and into NE Yellowstone.

More facilities can be found near West Yellowstone and Bozeman.
But I'd see the Beartooth and the Chief Joseph scenic highway while you're there. Sorry I'm no help inside Yellowstone.

The Beartooth Hwy is indeed not for the faint of heart. Have a strong tow vehicle and good brakes all the way around. Years ago I progressively lost my transmission one gear at a time coming out of the park. Lost 1st and 2nd getting to the West Summit, and lost 3rd getting to the top of East Summit. Had to carefully use only brakes coming down to Red Lodge. That was before cell phones and CB radios. But it is beautiful.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Fishing Bridge RV Park is hard sided only. All of the other campgrounds are dry camping. Those that allow generators restrict them to 0800 to 2000. Showers are available at Grant and Canyon.

The USFS Baker's Hole Campground, just north of West Yellowstone has electric and accepts reservations. Might try there.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Related: East of Yellowstone is the town of Cody WY.

It has the excellent Buffalo Bill Center of the West Museum. Highly recommended.

We stayed a few nights at the Ponderosa Campground RV Park, which was quite good.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:54 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
If you can't find a camp with showers the laundromat at Gardner MT has them. Just out of the Park on the Northside.
The lodge at Mammoth also has showers available.
I stayed at Indian Creek campground in the park. No hookups but they do have a designated MC site. That's the one I had.
No better way to see Yellowstone than on a MC.
Have fun!
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:29 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
You haven't mentioned Grand Teton National Park, so I will.

We did a Yellowstone trip last summer. We stayed 4 nights in YNP at Madison (in AS with generator) and then 2 nights in the Tetons.

Signal Mountain is a lovely area. The campground IS first come first served, but we managed to get 2 sights together (our adult kids were with us using a tent) by arriving mid-week at 8 am.

There are really great token showers there-each one is individual so very private, with timed water flow with the tokens, but then take as long as needed to dress and dry your hair. And a token laundry mat. Then pop around the corner and there is a nice POSH convenience store with espresso and wi-fi, restaurant, gas, and gift shop area. Also a small marina. Our kids did a canoe rental there one afternoon.

There are not hookups, but there is water available, flushing toilets with cold running water. Each toilet building does have an electrical outlet available. (saw a laptop propped on a chair charging up), and a dishwashing sink (cold water only) and dump station. Individual bear boxes at every campsite for food storage.

So if you wanted to do the rustic thing for a night or two, it is lovely here.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:47 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
No showers at Mammoth until late Summer -- the hotel is being updated.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote