Old 03-31-2013, 10:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

I don't know what your expectations are.

But you might be disappointed. I have Amish neighbors. They drive by my house on horse and buggy, but don't look at me. The children seem curious. The adults tend to keep to themselves. Some of the younger Amish will say hello to me. The Amish people that work at the farm stands around me, seem to want to say as little as possible. It is interesting to see the farm communities. The farmhouses and barns are old, and are basically horse powered. They wear very plain clothes, and it feels like you are back in time. I just don't think that they are interested in being seen by tourists.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:39 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
SMV means Slow Moving Vehicle!

Thought it good to note, their horse drawn black buggys will have the SMV sign, bright orange triangle, on the back. Maybe usually. And sometimes have state of the art LED lanterns on the front which you can't see from the back. Spooky sight in the dark from the front.
Horse drawn buggy, in the road, in the dark, at horse speed, in the road, in the dark, with the Bright Orange SMV sign maybe covered over, in the road, in the dark.
Aluminum and horse merged, not a pretty sight.
Forget about the horse poo...
Nice rig, nice trotting horse. Maybe young'uns courting or going to church. See lots in southern tier New York old 417 between Jasper and Addison and any road north or south.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:29 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
The road we live on has 9 houses...5 are Amish...within 5 miles of the house, there is an Amish bakery, woodworking store, dry goods store, cabinet shop, and many other Amish stores that anyone can visit. The ones Ive dealt with seem like normal people..albeit, stuck in 1870...:-) One of my neighbors was joking with me about having an 'oil powered TV' :-)
This is in the Columbia/Marquette/GreenLake counties in WI...
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #18
Tino

2013 27' FB International
Blainville , Quebec
Thanks every one for the infos. We drive across Ohio. So it will be there....
25' Airstream 2012
20' Airstream 2009
Tino643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #19

1976 Argosy 22
Albuquerque , New Mexico
We are in Amish Country right now. We are staying at the Elkhart County Fairgrounds in Goshen, Indiana. There are many Amish cruising the county roads here.

I highly recommend Goshen. It is a charming town with kind people and many things to do and see. And yes, there are Amish all over the rural areas around here. It is pretty fascinating.

Yesterday we took a tour at the Menno-Hof Info Center in Shipshewana. It is very interesting if you are curious about the Amish/Mennonites.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #20
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Does anyone else find sight-seeing among the Amish to be the teeniest bit voyeuristic? Yes, I know-- many make money selling home-made items to tourists.

In the western states, European tourists often want to see "real" Indians, as though they were some sort of scenic landscape feature to be put on display. Many Native Americans these days are urban. If they are on the reservation they may have strong feelings against tourism-- or they may support it, but it is their call.

We lived in Waterloo County, Ontario, home of many Old Order Mennonites whose religious faith and lifestyle is very similar to the Amish. If you head out that way on a Saturday, check out the St. Jacobs market (in Waterloo, not St. Jacobs), the area around Elmira, or simply locate some churches with hitching posts in the countryside on a Sunday morning and watch the parade of buggies heading to church.

However, these people chose their lifestyle because they are deeply religious, and may not want to be photographed. Something to treat with deep respect.

I often wonder how I'd feel if tourists rolled up in my community to peer at me and my "quaint" way of life.

Please, enjoy your trip through some beautiful rural countryside! -- Just sayin'.....
Old 04-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
Does anyone else find sight-seeing among the Amish to be the teeniest bit voyeuristic? Yes, I know-- many make money selling home-made items to tourists.

In the western states, European tourists often want to see "real" Indians, as though they were some sort of scenic landscape feature to be put on display. Many Native Americans these days are urban. If they are on the reservation they may have strong feelings against tourism-- or they may support it, but it is their call.

We lived in Waterloo County, Ontario, home of many Old Order Mennonites whose religious faith and lifestyle is very similar to the Amish. If you head out that way on a Saturday, check out the St. Jacobs market (in Waterloo, not St. Jacobs), the area around Elmira, or simply locate some churches with hitching posts in the countryside on a Sunday morning and watch the parade of buggies heading to church.

However, these people chose their lifestyle because they are deeply religious, and may not want to be photographed. Something to treat with deep respect.

I often wonder how I'd feel if tourists rolled up in my community to peer at me and my "quaint" way of life.

Please, enjoy your trip through some beautiful rural countryside! -- Just sayin'.....
I certainly agree with you about the voyeurism. It reminds me of when I was in college at Berkeley in the '60's and tour buses would come into town to see the "hippies", and then continue on to Haight Ashbury. They were not welcome. I don't ever remember buses coming to Berkeley to see the Nobel Prize winners, what does that tell you?

Let's show some respect to those who are different from ourselves for whatever reason. They are not animals in a zoo, or amusement park characters. Look, by all means, but don't take their pictures without their permission. And don't be surprised if you are not considered welcome.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Ladson , South Carolina
If you are in WBCCI and the time is right you can't beat the Swiss Festival rally in Sugarcreek, Ohio. It really teaches and shows you the Amish world. It's in Berlin county, Ohio
SC Coastal Unit
TAC-SC5
Safari Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It is a bit voyeuristic, yes, and thanks for saying it. I've been thinking it, too.

That said, the AmishMennonite live a very private life when they choose to keep it that way, and reasonable decency and courtesy dictates we should respect that.

They don't hide, though, although I guess some may.

By openly marketing their beautiful and delicious handmade/homemade items to outsiders, they invite us in to their shops, stores, roadside stands, etc. And, thank goodness they do! It helps them financially and we become the very grateful recipients of their wares. Also, in the few Amish/Mennonite communities we have been in, they frequent the same shops, restaurants and stores everyone else does.

Practicing common courtesy is the key, don'tcha think? I also think it behooves mindful travelers to make a point of educating themselves about the areas they visit and the varied cultures and lifestyles they encounter.

Maggie
Old 04-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2013 23' International
Stanhope , New Jersey
We camp in Ronks PA as well.
There is great campground there on South Ronks Rd called Mill Bridge Campground. It is surrounded by Amish farms and is a wonderful place.
While I also feel a little weird about "people attractions" many of the Amish in the area make their living on the tourist trade.
They sell pottery, wood, furniture, pies, vegetables, food not to mention quilts! One young Amish family even comes into the campground on Friday and Saturday nights selling their wares.
there are plenty of fun things to do in the area, outlets, trains and all kinds of shopping.

Good luck with your trip, sounds like fun!

WBCCI # 6371
AIR # 65179
NJStreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
My Wife and I visited the area around Kidron Ohio a few years ago. You will want to see Lehmans Hardware store while you are there. I highly recommend it.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
By all means ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosch View Post
My Wife and I visited the area around Kidron Ohio a few years ago. You will want to see Lehmans Hardware store while you are there. I highly recommend it.
Lehman's caters to the off-grid folks. And you know, we Airstreamers are often off-grid ourselves. In short, they have a LOT of stuff that you'd find useful for camping and non-electric cooking. One of my favorite stores, even if they're four hours away!
Old 04-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to Airbiscuit Send a message via Yahoo to Airbiscuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tino643 View Post
Thanks every one for the infos. We drive across Ohio. So it will be there....
I know there is courtesy parking in LaGrange (Lorain County) all well within a drive to Amish country and I hear the courtesy parking people give tours of the area, have lovely campfires, and some of the best food around!
Old 04-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #28
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream View Post
Lehman's caters to the off-grid folks. And you know, we Airstreamers are often off-grid ourselves. In short, they have a LOT of stuff that you'd find useful for camping and non-electric cooking. One of my favorite stores, even if they're four hours away!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosch View Post
'nother Lehmans Hardware fan here.

I have been buying stuff from them for years, they are definitely the best place for off grid life ware.

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote