Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2015, 10:21 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
Where to go in the Smokeys? 2016

Hello all, as the fall approaches I am already planning for next years camping. I passed through the Great Smokey Mnt this past spring and the lure of 800 miles of hiking trails has me looking into staying there next year. I am asking for recommendations for a great campground. My requests are, not next to Gatlinburg or Pigeon forge. I am looking for quiet, out of the way kind of place, at least water and electric, sewer would be good. Wooded with a stream makes it perfect. I do not need/want kids activities such as a Yogi bear/Koa. Where either Tenn/NC is no problem
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Top of Georgia AS park has its own hiking trail plus a state park nearby with trails. Mt biking in the area and the Appalachian trail crosses just a few miles north. Full hookups for about twelve bucks a night. Must be self contained, no public restrooms or showers. Wifi. Limited cell service. Just north of Helen, so you are camping between two mt ridges with a creek running through it and still drive a few miles into town for supplies or restaurants, even has a grocery store. Really miss going there after selling the AS. Google Helen, ga.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
ok, good start

Thanks, Do they have a fire pit at each site?
Old 10-14-2015, 01:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
No, only a communal one.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Another place is the Georgia's mountain fairgrounds campground in hiawassee. Lake front sites. App trail nearby, etc. fire pits., full hookup.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:14 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Charleston , South Carolina
Campfire Lodgings near Asheville. Mountain top campsites. Premium spaces have awesome view of the river far below. Space P5 is the best. www.campfirelodgings.com
FollySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 02:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
ok

I as at Lake Hiawassee this spring, very nice indeed! Campfire Lodging looks great, Thank you. I hate to say it but without a campfire at my site, the Top of Ga is out. Thanks keep them coming!! John
Old 10-14-2015, 03:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
We just got back from a 9 day stay in Pigeon Forge, fortunately we booked a delux campsite at a campground outside the craziness called Up The Creek. Smokey Mountain National Park has numerous campgrounds that might fit you needs, we drove through a few & if you want to be in the middle of nature that's your place.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:52 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Grafton , Ohio
Where to stay in the smokeys

Mile High Campground. It has the greatest views! Quiet,nice spots, Ok showers Great host. Plenty of hiking near by. Bonus- elk wander into the campground and just outside the entrance. owned by the Cherokee Indian tribe. We have stayed at this campground about 7 times in the past 10 years, love it every time!
backroads73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Good campground in the Smokies

Moonshine Campground is a nice campground in Sylva, NC. It has a rushing mountain stream that runs through the middle of it. Close to the Great Smoky Mountain Railroad, Blue Ridge Parkway and the Oconaluftee Visitor Center at Cherokee, NC

Campground
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
great

Now we're getting somewhere, I will check all the above . Thanks and more info is welcomed! MPJ
Old 10-14-2015, 08:38 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
You might want to check out the campground reviews in the Forum. Divided by region & gives you some good recommendations.

Thanks
Jane
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:07 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitique View Post
You might want to check out the campground reviews in the Forum. Divided by region & gives you some good recommendations.

Thanks
Jane
Could you please post a link for that sub-forum? I am not able to locate such a specific "campground reviews" forum.

Most seem to be posted right here in this On The Road sub-forum.

Thanks.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:32 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Glen Burnie , Maryland
amping in the Smokeys

My wife and I have camped regularly at Little River Village Campground located in Townsend TN. That campground has just what you are looking for. The Little River flows by it, lots of trees, quiet and away from the maddening croud, close to the Smoky Mountain Park, and not a yogi bear type.

The best way to get to it would be south from Knoxville to Maryville, then east to Townsend. You could get to it from Pigeon Forge by going over the mountain, experiencing some hair razing hairpin turns, and then dropping down into Townsend.

Tom T
Tom Turlingt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:46 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
You might consider Davidson River Campground in Pisgah National Forest near Brevard, NC.
It is fairly close to the little town of Pisgah and would be a pretty good base camp for exploring the National Forest. The campground I believe is water and electric only, is easy access and right on a great trout river. There are other boon docking sites around the forest but you should explore them without your A/S until you are sure your rig can get into them. The Blue Ridge Parkway is an hour's drive north toward Waynesville, NC and there are campgrounds, public and private all along it.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob D View Post
You might consider Davidson River Campground in Pisgah National Forest near Brevard, NC.
It is fairly close to the little town of Pisgah and would be a pretty good base camp for exploring the National Forest. The campground I believe is water and electric only, is easy access and right on a great trout river. There are other boon docking sites around the forest but you should explore them without your A/S until you are sure your rig can get into them. The Blue Ridge Parkway is an hour's drive north toward Waynesville, NC and there are campgrounds, public and private all along it.
How late in the year could a trailer use this CG in terms of freezing nights etc., in your opinion? They are open all year, but don't say if water is on during the winter.

Davidson River Campground | Camping in NC | Pisgah National Forest | Cradle of Forestry Interpretive Association

http://11mjsg94ex5ggb0b7k6013aj.wpen...r-Map-2015.pdf

Thanks
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:36 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Springville , Alabama
If you could do without the electric and water hookup for a few days, Elkmont Campground in the National Park. Many creek front sites, wooded, beautiful, and near many trails.
driftwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:14 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Demorest , Georgia
We love Davidson River Campground in the Pisgah National Forest near Brevard, NC. It is only a few miles below the Blue ridge Pkwy . Absolutely wonderful hiking trails and waterfalls all around the campground. The best loop to us is Hemlock right on the river with great trout fishing. However, somesites rright on river have no hookups. They do have lots of sites with hookups, just not right on river. This is a very clean, quiet and well run park. The Smokey mountains join the Blue ridge just outside Cherokee, traveling south on the Blueridgae. Absolutely, breathtaking views!! You may want to research online Davidson River Campground, Pisgah National Forest, Cradle of the Forestry, and Dupont National Forest. This area is called "The Land Of Waterfalls" and has awesome trails. Happy camping!! Hope this info helps. Oh, the campground in Townsend, Tenn is aalso nice. We love Elkmont Campground near there, but no electric or water hookups. Nice place to visit and has a neat old abandoned town to stroll through and beautiful river. May want to look it up online also.
mtnramblers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:04 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
We love Campfire Lodgings in Asheville, and Mama Gertie's in Swannanoa - just east of Asheville. Both are spotless and extremely nice! We are doing the KOA in Townsend, TN on the Little River in about 10 days, so I'll report on that. We stayed at Tremont Outdoor Resort last year and it was nice, but a lot of walnut trees (I believe) and they would fall out of the tree and hit Airstream and truck. They made a mess and we heard them dropping all night! In Bryson City, we stayed at Deep Creek Tube Center. Had a site directly on the river and it was beautiful. Had a nice fire at our campsite. Laundry facilities were nice and clean. Bryson City has some great restaurants as well. We have booked a place around Franklin for this trip as well. It's called Cardinal Ridge and it's a fawn rescue place. Looks really nice and they were as sweet as they could be when I called. We have a reservation at French Broad Campground in ASheville for Christmas. We rode through there a couple of months ago and just loved the view of the river.

I know I'm jumping around, but feel free to let me know if you want more info!! Nothing is more beautiful than the Smokies in the fall! I can get there quick enough!!

Laura & Tom
Old 10-16-2015, 06:18 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
My wife and I also like Townsend, TN and stay at the KOA. The Little River runs behind the campground with some sites next to the river. The river is nice for "tubing." Townsend books itself as the "quite side of the Smokies and is near enough to Pigeon Forge to drive for dinner or a show, but out of the hustle and bustle. Townsend is just a short drive from Cades Cove, New Found Gap, Clingmans Dome and many other locations for hiking, biking and fishing. Cherokee, NC is also close enough for a day trip.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote