Old 10-04-2010, 08:17 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
We sanitize our fresh water tank at the beginning of every season
We usually bring our own drinking water, not so much because of worrying about the water supply, but our 40 year old water tank. How do you "sanitize" your water tank.

Another option is a in line filter that fliters water before it gets to your trailer and/or a under coiunter canister type filter under the galley.

Some hydrants are designed to discourage hooking up a water line to. I guess to prevent an individual hogging up a group hydrant. For these hydrants a "water thief" type device is handy. It is a hose adapter with a rubber cone that will let you use a hose to fill your tank.

Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #16
1 Rivet Short
1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
We use our holding tanks for all of our H2o needs…that’s why it is there. As noted SP’s, NP’s, gas stations (fill you fuel tank first, then ask for water…), even cemeteries have water available. Oh yeah, do get yourself a couple of variations of water thieves…an essential tool for many SP’s, and carry a small spray bottle of NaClO and water…while the tap water itself may be tested, you don’t know how the tap was handled by the person before you…spray down the tap, and run the water a bit before hooking up your hose (we carry a few different lengths of hose; a shorty is convenient for a quick fill-up at a SP/NP. Just to be clear, we don’t necessarily stay at a park to fill our tank; if we need water, and are passing thru…we fill up. Ask a ranger if they are around…if not…drink away!

Bottled water is subject to less regulation in this country than tap water, and is one of the biggest scams perpetrated on the American public. Why pay for what you can get free!?
It is rare for us to stay any place that has hookups…and we have never run out of water.

Note; we have 55 gals on board, so it is a long way to “E”, I do agree, 20 gals could go quickly…but I would not hesitate to use your holding tank for drinking water if it is properly maintained…

*Life is Good-Camping all around the Continent*
*Good people drink good beer-Hunter S Thompson*
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:19 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
OK, I've got to get a good water filter, based on all of the comments. Thanks!
Hibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:58 AM   #18
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
We usually bring our own drinking water, not so much because of worrying about the water supply, but our 40 year old water tank. How do you "sanitize" your water tank.

We fill about half full with water, add 2 cups of bleach to the 30 gallon fresh water tank, take a drive to slosh it around well, run the water through the taps, rinse and flush thoroughly before filling with fresh water.

We don't drink it or use for coffee/cooking until we don't smell the bleach any longer. I can't advise you on a 40 gallon tank, might have the water tested after sanitizing the first time, just to be sure.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote