Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2010, 05:10 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eureka Springs , Arkansas
Road trip from NW Ark. to Albuquerque, via I44 & I 40 about 2 weeks ago.

Saw 3 or 4 each way, plus a slide out on I-25 in Albuquerque.

Also saw 3 stored in various locations in Santa Fe.

Bob
triplenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:52 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

West Richland , Washington
I flew to Denver for 6 days, got back late Tuesday night. I put close to 800 miles on the rental car and in that time, in town and mountain hiways only saw 3 AS. And none of them rolling. One in a storage lot on the way to Boulder, one used as a cabin on the Peak to Peak hiway and one sitting next to a house. I was in tourist heaven (according to the locals) and no one was on their way anywhere? I did see my first T@B and what I am pretty sure was one of those new (and discontinued?) Coachmen Shasta Airflytes.
SusanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
PS: to previous post.
Saw one heading west on I-44 with an aluminum issue on street side rear. Looked like they had backed into a horizontal overhang about 6' high.
Bob
Old 08-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
We recently traveled about 18,000 miles in 4-1/2 months and were also surprised by the number of Airstreams we saw on the road. We went to two WBCCI Rallies and there were about 50 Airstreams at each. We stayed at three Airstream (only or mostly) RV Parks, so we saw many Airstreams there. But on the road, they were few and far between.

Another observation we made was that most of my fellow Airstreamers seem oblivious to other Airstreams. We flash our lights and wave at all towing shiny aluminum honoring Wally, but got few respones. In the old days, it was a common for all Airstreamers to flash their lights at another member of the club. Interestly, the younger Airtreamers with vintage trailers are very keen to flash and wave, while the newer models (driven mostly by folks my age) never seem to even notice another Airstream.

Some of our best experiences have been with young Airstreamers excited about becoming part of a more than 50 year tradition. We met a nice young couple in Texas that were fulltiming in their 1988 Airstream while he worked in the oil fields. We stopped to help a nice young couple near Arches National Park who had an overheated Land Rover towing a 1968 Safari. We met a nice retired couple in Yosemite who had a restored 1954.

I also have old Porsches, and the Porsche Club of America, and the 356 Registry are working hard to "bring back the flash". Flashing your headlights was a time honored tradition among Porsche enthusiasts. Porsche even desighned the center button of the steering wheel to perform that task.

Perhaps Airstreamers need to flash each other more.
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:08 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Grandmaster,

I partially agree about the the P-car owners. In "high times" rich morons buy P-cars. They get thinned out quickly in hard times.
We've been a P car owner since 1985. I really like the guys and gals who appreciate and respect the engineering.
Quite a few show up in our town. I think the older cars are owned by folks who are in the know. I sold a '82 911 and a few years ago bought a Cayman S.

The Cayman will run double circles around the '82, but I do miss it.

All MG owners flash lights!
Some Porsche owners!

But, why not all Airstream owners??

Bob
Old 08-19-2010, 08:17 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tyler , Texas
We've been parked in our site for about the last month. We had an Argosy 24 pull into the park today. I saw a 13 panel AS go past my house in Tyler about 4 days ago. It was lovely, probably around a 24' as well. Two weeks ago we had two other 'Streams in the park here, and last week another one came in for the weekend. I also saw one on HWY 31 east of Athens, TX, and one sits at a house about 5 miles out from Athens on the same highway.

Stephen
Old 08-20-2010, 01:14 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Oshawa , Ontario
On the road with A/S

Last year we travelled from Oshawa Ontario Canada to Guillford Conn and saw three silver tubes. We had one actually pass us and not really seem to notive us , even though we both had 31 fters so we tried to catch him as the one fellow says like a couple of groupies but he seemed to like the 70 mph range and I don't. Finally caught up at a rest stop but when we pulled in he was pulling out.
Maybe thats why we don.t see as many as we would like. They move to fast !!! Anyway I thought 3 was a good sighting number for one trip and always love to see them.
If you see us we will be the slower ones with the old F 150 pulling.
Honk and we will probably follow you if we can . HA HA.
silvertube65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:46 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Jonesboro , Georgia
Airstream Sightings

Just got home from Seven Points Recreational Area,on Percy Priest Lake, just outside of Nashville, TN. We saw two Airstreams in the campground and two going toward Nashville, when we were heading back home to Georgia. We also saw a huge SOB that was totally torn up in an accident on I-40 blocking rush hour traffic.
Kristi Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:28 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
round trip to dataw island sc to visit relatives is 1900 miles.saw 2 on the road and one with us in a myrtle beach campground.most people ask if they still make airstreams when they comment on ours.i flash my lights when seeing a fellow streammer.noticed alot of rv rental units in thr myrtle beach campground,which must be a sign of the times.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:44 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Strange we hardly ever see Airstreams on the road and yesterday we saw three between Tulsa, OK and Joplin, MO.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:38 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
Omaha , Nebraska
We just left Glacier NP where we met four airstream couples including Doug and Maggie (see previous post) at the St. Mary's campground. Also saw a couple of vintage models in at Many Glaciers campground. We're leaving Kalispell, MT for Canada today, entering near Creston, BC. We are heading for Vancouver.

Jim

WBCCI #22116
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #32
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It's hit or miss on interstates and other multilane highways so far as flashing lights are concerned. I often don't see what's going on the other side of the median and I doubt most of them see us. My wife will see them sometimes and tell me, but by that time we usually have passed them. We flash the headlights when we can, but sometimes they come up on us too fast.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:17 PM   #33

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by xonvldz View Post
round trip to dataw island sc to visit relatives is 1900 miles.saw 2 on the road and one with us in a myrtle beach campground.most people ask if they still make airstreams when they comment on ours.i flash my lights when seeing a fellow streammer.noticed alot of rv rental units in thr myrtle beach campground,which must be a sign of the times.
That's funny to me but when I bought ours my neighbor said " your airstream looks like new" when I told him it was a 2006 he said the same thing! They still make Airtreams? I guess when were less than 2% of tt sales that's what you get. I guess that's why I get so excited to see another AS! Happy trails.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:03 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Columbia Falls , Montana
We recently drove a whopping 17 miles from our home in Columbia Falls, MT, to our favorite camp site in Glacier National Park and saw at least 15 Airstreams! We were beginning to wonder where the party was and why we weren't invited!
MTsafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:36 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Currently Looking...
Glenburn , Maine
We saw only a handful between August 4 and 14th while driving the 1800 miles home to Maine from Louisiana. We were the only campers at Mystic Springs Airstream Park midweek. The extreme temperatures may have been a factor- it really wasn't Wally World boondocking weather. Did see a few, including some folks from Ocean City, FL who had blown a tire on I-10 on their way home from the International.

wil

AIR 22828
TAC ME-3
Universal Address: 97XX5 QGG5Z
Longitude: -68.814136
Latitude: 44.894663
olddog299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:51 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Oshawa , Ontario
Where is everyone ??

We just back from a 1100 mile trip to Conn from Oshawa Ont and actually saw 6 AS and one Argosy. Not bad Huh ?
silvertube65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Sumner , Washington
Just returned from a 3200 mile trip from Seattle to San Diego and back, saw three A/S on road and two parked in yards along the way.
With the ones on the road, we all waved and honked wildly.....
People in State Parks stopped us constantly and wanted to talk about our 1970 27' A/S.
This is our first A/S and I was surprised at peoples reaction.
howco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have been in San Francisco the past three nights, loved seeing the sights and the city. Have not seen any AS here but have passed plenty on the coastal roads south.

Saw another Interstate in Northern California just this week, which is rare.

Maggie
Old 09-12-2010, 06:00 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
Omaha , Nebraska
We're Currently in Aberdeen, WA. Saw an airstream in Olympic NP at the Port Angeles campground. They were coming in as we were leaving. Then saw a 25 0r 28 ft Safari in Bogashiel state Park near Forks, WA, today.

We're heading down US 101. Long Beach, WA, tomorrow, then along the Oregon coast for a week or two or three? Where is that Rogue Brewery? Newport?

We hope to see more AS's along the way.

Jim and Mary

WBCCI #22116
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
We spent 4 days last week at Kerrville City Park, Kerrville, TX. By coincidence we picked a site right next to the only other Airstream in the park. It was a 2011 Bambi 20' and we are now good friends with the couple who own it. We are fellow bicycle fanatics and enjoyed biking in the hills around Kerrville at the Easter Hill Country Tour where I managed to ride 100 miles.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote