Old 08-10-2010, 06:31 PM   #15
Certainly Blessed
1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Crazy Waver....

Originally Posted by redhawkerII View Post
I saw one headed south going out of Altus...started to go follow them (like a groupie) and instead went on about my business.
You weren't near Lindsay this weekend were you? We took the A/S down to the the in-laws for a test run, and on the way home Sunday we stopped at in Lindsay, Ok to fill up. Someone went driving by waving like crazy.. granted it might not have been at us.. but we were the only ones in the parking lot at the time. They were certainly acting like groupies!

We saw one parked in someone's driveway on the way....

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1973 25' Tradewind
Ringoes , New Jersey
Sorry I'm not out there, YET! only had her 3 days, working 8 plus hours a day getting her cleaned and ready. I should be ready for a good week of Streaming in Sept! MPJ

moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #17
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Recently I was on a trip out west. Left home 10 June spent 4 wks in E. Kansas and then headed west to New Mexico and Colorado for a few weeks. Came back through Nebraska and back into Kansas. Through Missouri to Ft. Leonard Wood. North into Iowa before finally heading home. I saw maybe 4 AS's the whole trip. I read these postings by all of you on the road but sure didn't see many of ya in my 6200 mile trip. Maybe your all hold up in a nice campground along the way. I didn't find many campgrounds nice enough that I would want to stay. After getting home for a week we took off again to the Adirondack Mtns. in New York for another week. I did see one AS heading northbound on the Northway. So, I guess you all are out there somewhere. Just not where we have been.

Keep traveling and ENJOY
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:03 AM   #18
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We spent two weeks in Northern Minnesota, where there were lots of Airstreams, then this past week in NW Montana, where there are also lots of Airstreams!

For those who haven't been, this is one of the most beautiful areas of our country we have ever seen.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:22 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
1968 30' Sovereign
Lorton , Virginia
I just went on a 2000 mile round trip from Washington DC, through Ohio and up into Michigan...I saw ONE Airstream (waved and honked in the DC Metro area and that was it! Otherwise, of the approx 7000 miles I've logged since April I've only seen one other on the road or in a campground. But, if you look at those statistics of 1% of the trailers being Airstrea, I'd say that was about right!
ltenbrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:11 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
We went 2100 miles from Austin, TX to Nashville, TN round trip. We saw a couple Airstreams on the road and there were 2 in the RV Park in Nashville while we were there. They seem to be a bit scarce when the temperature is around 100 every day. Last year in July, we were in Davis Mountains State Park near Fort Davis, TX and there were a total of 7 Airstreams in that park and it was not a rally but independent campers.

dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:10 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eureka Springs , Arkansas
Road trip from NW Ark. to Albuquerque, via I44 & I 40 about 2 weeks ago.

Saw 3 or 4 each way, plus a slide out on I-25 in Albuquerque.

Also saw 3 stored in various locations in Santa Fe.

triplenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:52 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member
West Richland , Washington
I flew to Denver for 6 days, got back late Tuesday night. I put close to 800 miles on the rental car and in that time, in town and mountain hiways only saw 3 AS. And none of them rolling. One in a storage lot on the way to Boulder, one used as a cabin on the Peak to Peak hiway and one sitting next to a house. I was in tourist heaven (according to the locals) and no one was on their way anywhere? I did see my first T@B and what I am pretty sure was one of those new (and discontinued?) Coachmen Shasta Airflytes.
SusanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari FB SE
PS: to previous post.
Saw one heading west on I-44 with an aluminum issue on street side rear. Looked like they had backed into a horizontal overhang about 6' high.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member
1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
We recently traveled about 18,000 miles in 4-1/2 months and were also surprised by the number of Airstreams we saw on the road. We went to two WBCCI Rallies and there were about 50 Airstreams at each. We stayed at three Airstream (only or mostly) RV Parks, so we saw many Airstreams there. But on the road, they were few and far between.

Another observation we made was that most of my fellow Airstreamers seem oblivious to other Airstreams. We flash our lights and wave at all towing shiny aluminum honoring Wally, but got few respones. In the old days, it was a common for all Airstreamers to flash their lights at another member of the club. Interestly, the younger Airtreamers with vintage trailers are very keen to flash and wave, while the newer models (driven mostly by folks my age) never seem to even notice another Airstream.

Some of our best experiences have been with young Airstreamers excited about becoming part of a more than 50 year tradition. We met a nice young couple in Texas that were fulltiming in their 1988 Airstream while he worked in the oil fields. We stopped to help a nice young couple near Arches National Park who had an overheated Land Rover towing a 1968 Safari. We met a nice retired couple in Yosemite who had a restored 1954.

I also have old Porsches, and the Porsche Club of America, and the 356 Registry are working hard to "bring back the flash". Flashing your headlights was a time honored tradition among Porsche enthusiasts. Porsche even desighned the center button of the steering wheel to perform that task.

Perhaps Airstreamers need to flash each other more.
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:08 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari FB SE

I partially agree about the the P-car owners. In "high times" rich morons buy P-cars. They get thinned out quickly in hard times.
We've been a P car owner since 1985. I really like the guys and gals who appreciate and respect the engineering.
Quite a few show up in our town. I think the older cars are owned by folks who are in the know. I sold a '82 911 and a few years ago bought a Cayman S.

The Cayman will run double circles around the '82, but I do miss it.

All MG owners flash lights!
Some Porsche owners!

But, why not all Airstream owners??

Old 08-19-2010, 08:17 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member
1974 31' Sovereign
Tyler , Texas
We've been parked in our site for about the last month. We had an Argosy 24 pull into the park today. I saw a 13 panel AS go past my house in Tyler about 4 days ago. It was lovely, probably around a 24' as well. Two weeks ago we had two other 'Streams in the park here, and last week another one came in for the weekend. I also saw one on HWY 31 east of Athens, TX, and one sits at a house about 5 miles out from Athens on the same highway.

Home again in Tyler, Texas

Please visit any time!
stephenh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:14 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member
1973 31' Sovereign
Oshawa , Ontario
On the road with A/S

Last year we travelled from Oshawa Ontario Canada to Guillford Conn and saw three silver tubes. We had one actually pass us and not really seem to notive us , even though we both had 31 fters so we tried to catch him as the one fellow says like a couple of groupies but he seemed to like the 70 mph range and I don't. Finally caught up at a rest stop but when we pulled in he was pulling out.
Maybe thats why we don.t see as many as we would like. They move to fast !!! Anyway I thought 3 was a good sighting number for one trip and always love to see them.
If you see us we will be the slower ones with the old F 150 pulling.
Honk and we will probably follow you if we can . HA HA.
silvertube65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:46 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
Jonesboro , Georgia
Airstream Sightings

Just got home from Seven Points Recreational Area,on Percy Priest Lake, just outside of Nashville, TN. We saw two Airstreams in the campground and two going toward Nashville, when we were heading back home to Georgia. We also saw a huge SOB that was totally torn up in an accident on I-40 blocking rush hour traffic.

Kristi Foster is offline   Reply With Quote