Old 10-20-2006, 03:51 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Where have you gone this year?

We just got back recently from a month on the road to Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado from our home in Michigan.

We had all the weather, warm, cold, windy, rainy, snowy, and the thing I like most about the mountains is how the weather and lighting changes so frequently and varies at the different elevations. I envy you folk who have daily access to your mountains!

This was our first planned trip in our new 2007 FB Classic and the new Suburban. The combination made life on the road days at a time easy and enjoyable. Still I thought moving up in size a couple feet would feel much bigger but then it was a MONTH with hubby, Baron and the puppy.

Here's my pictures. There are too many there so you can select a small viewing size or the slideshow feature on the top right of the page.

http://www.pbase.com/baidinc/rocky_m...tional_park_06

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 04:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Well, I've put 26,000+ miles on my AS this year. Travel has included South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida and Georgia.
I've seen too many AS's to report in the AS Sightings thread. I've stayed in quite a few nice campgrounds and lots, lots more Wal-Marts. I've even taken advantage of CP at one members home in NC (thanks Aaron). I've had more than a few surprise visitors knock on my door around the SE, including RichT.
Gas prices put a crimp in the bottom line this year but I do not stand alone on this front, we all paid the price for the greed of the oil companies (check the earnings reports).
We survivied CA hyway 1 this summer but with gas prices had to opt for the Honda minivan rather than Airstream One. Saw more than my share of great views and I'm not done yet.
I'll retire for the winter in another six weeks or so and then start all over again the end of January in Orlando.
And you think your year goes by quickly!

Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 04:55 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
WOW! What great pictures, Carol! These certainly make me look forward to the day when we can take a trip like this. You have a great trailer to experience all this breathtaking scenery while sitting in the comfort of your home on wheels. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us through your photos.

Vickie
Air #5970
--------------------------
2001 F250 CC 7.3 PSD 4x4 ("Bubba")
2007 34' SO Classic ("Betty Lou II")
Towdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 05:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
One week to the Northern CA Sierras above Placerville, One long weekend to the Central Sierras at Huntington Lake east of Fresno. Next weekend is Refugio SB near Santa Barbara, then Thanksgiving back in the northern Sierras with my family near Auburn, CA.
Mountains and Pacific ocean, Great fun!
Old 10-20-2006, 06:42 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
So far this year we have spent 58 nights in Lucy. We have been to New England and the entrie east coast. We have been on two business trips. One to Orlando and one that we are currently on in Connecticut. By the time we get back home, will have 70+ nights in Lucy. We've stayed a lot of nice campgrounds, and several nice truck stops, including a Petro in Scranton, Pennsylvania, that had electric hook-ups.

We have been doing some serious Airstreaming.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
We've stayed a lot of nice campgrounds, and several nice truck stops, including a Petro in Scranton, Pennsylvania
Any sign of bananas

Let's see, camping out in the driveway to take advantage of the AC probably doesn't count huh . Bought the AS in May and have taken it to five bike races. Methow in the North Cascades twice, Bellingham (beautiful State Park on the water), Topinish (Yakama Nation), and Greenwater (boondocking). Learning more every time we take it out

Hope to drag it up skiing. With the current El Nino those may end up being longer trips that anticipated.

-Bernie
Old 10-20-2006, 07:06 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
We have been a little busy so far this year.

January: Rally in Daytona for 4 days

February: Florida State Rally in Sarasota

April: Easter Rally in St. Augustine

1 June to 3 October: Our yearly sojourn to the Northeast to get out of the heat, humidity and hurricanes of Florida's summer.
Two weeks in Virginia where we visited our son and granddaughters for a week. Then to Northern Virginia to attend the Change of Watch ceremony for the Master Chief Petty Officer of the Coast Guard. Our nephew was stepping down as the MCPOCG after a 4 year tour.

Then to Glens Falls, New York for 8 weeks of relaxation and visiting relatives.

Next to the Region 1 Rally in Rochester NH. It was the Allumination Celebration. It was great fun.

That brought us to Sterling Hill CT to spend 3 weeks with the wife's sister and her husband. The weather was cool and rainy but I was able to get into the pool a few times. While there we went to Block Island for a day trip and a side trip to Augusta Maine to do some genealogy searches.

Then back to Glens Falls for a family picnic and another 3 weeks of relaxation and fun with relatives and friends.

We headed back home on the 1st of October.

Ahead of us to round out the year, is a rally and unit dinner at Travelers Rest in Florida in November and the Florida Unit's volunteer rally at Fort Christmas for the Cracker Christmas festivities in December.

It's a good thing we are retired, or we would have to quit our jobs to have this much fun.
www.facebook.com/FloridaStateRally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
http://www.airstream-adventures.com/...rida_Unit.html
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 07:31 PM   #8
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Great thread and nice photos!

Carol those photos are gorgeous--thanks for the vicarious tour of Rocky Mtn National Park! I love the one with the foxes! You are such a talented/artisitic photographer!!

Orie is getting so big--that photo on the picnic table is adorable! What an amazing adventure, thanks for sharing!

We did the se tour visiting the inlaws in NC and hitting states in between on the way there and back-Ohio, KY, TN, VA, NC, SC, GA, and home again. Many fun adventures in MI too. Tried out some campgrounds recommended here on the forum and loved them!
Old 10-20-2006, 07:44 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Londonderry , New Hampshire
Slowly I turned...

How's this for an old fashioned idea. We finally travelled to Niagra Falls. It was great, a two fer... the falls for her, and the Anchor Bar for me, the home of the original Buffalo Wings! If you order something off the menu like a steak, it is a side dish to the wings.

Oh yeah, the falls were nice, too.

Keith and Ellen
Old 10-20-2006, 08:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks. Wow we have all been racking on the mileage on our Airstreams!

Steph those are beautiful states. Steph and I got to rally together in Michigan this year! Orie surely enjoyed playing with Sam. Can I borrow him.

StarTrekker you must be fulltiming? How long have you been doing that? I had a chance to see your super shiny "long" Airstream at Sarasota one year at the vintage open house. It still is the only large on I have seen polished. Very neat looking.

And Bernie you use your Airstream for sporting, I bet Rich Luhr would love to get ahold of a story and pictures for the magazine, that is an active Airstreamer.

Moosetags that's the way we go cross country stopping at truck stops and even rest stops and not only trying out campgrounds as we choose and not as a given enroute. I have been to Maine and to Florida but never along the length of the coast. How did you come up with Lucy as a name?

Fyrzwt you are where I long to go someday. This was my first year West to hit Salem Oregon and I did not explore much. We definitely have to go back and see all we missed out West! But what a drive from the East!!!!!! Not bad quite nice actually but long.

Vickie, I wonder just where we will end up camping together next year. I look forward to it and I hope you and Jeff get to take that new long long trailer of yours on many adventures and also enjoy River Ridge. It is such a nice park when I come to visit. Gee why does the snow have to fly in Michigan anyway?!! I am already ready for spring to be here.

Glenn I hear you about the fuel prices. Some places are better than others but when you get good and gouged you feel it. (pun intended) They do have us over a barrel. But glad it isn't stopping you. Yes I do think the year goes by so quickly. Your time out and about sounds wonderful. Let me see we are home two weeks now, maybe in another week or two the wanderlust will return.

Keith and Ellen Niagra Falls that is romantic. I have not been there in years. You say they have great wings? Well I better take my daughter then because together we could live on them! Yes we really could. Anchor bar? I'll remember.

This is interesting. Hope to hear lots more.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Family matters have kept us homebound since our trip a year ago to upper Michigan. This fall we shook loose, headed out in Gypsy for a 2 week trek to Colorado, focusing on two areas: one centered around Monarch Pass, highlighting Gunnison, Crested Butte, Salida, and Leadville; the other was just west of Fort Collins up the Cache la Poudre River. Our trip was probably similar to Carole's in Rocky Mountain NP in that the crowds were diminished, weather was a full smorgasbord from sleet and snow to sun and showers, sun-warmed to chilled mountain air, and the foliage was brilliant. Since I have never attempted photos with a post, look at Carole's and know that many of our scenes were similar! Our trips west in recent years have taken us north of this part of the Rockies into Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho. We hadn't been into Colorado for a couple of decades. We'd forgotten how gorgeous Colorado is too. One thing that we really enjoyed after a full day 4-wheeling the high trails through aspen groves was a trip to a hot springs spa area south of Monarch. The springs were outdoors, open to the crispy air and mountain views. Several local residents were soaking too and we kibutzed in on their conversations about their mountain life. Made us wish we could move there! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 08:53 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
Quote:
StarTrekker you must be fulltiming? How long have you been doing that? I had a chance to see your super shiny "long" Airstream at Sarasota one year at the vintage open house. It still is the only large on I have seen polished. Very neat looking.
Wheel

Oddly enough we are not full timing. We have a home in Palm Bay Florida and thoroughly enjoy the late fall, winter and spring here. Josie and I don't care for the heat and humidity of the summers so we hitch up and head for the cooler, drier climate the northeast affords. Along with that is keeping in touch with family and friends.

We are able to keep our coach at our house which is a huge plus.

We will be at Sarasota again next year. Thanks for the nice words about our coach. Not too many people are nuts enough to polish a 31ft trailer.
www.facebook.com/FloridaStateRally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
http://www.airstream-adventures.com/...rida_Unit.html
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 08:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by startrekker2001
Thanks for the nice words about our coach. Not too many people are nuts enough to polish a 31ft trailer.
I wouldn't call you "nuts"...I would call you "dedicated". I have witnessed your work and your dedication to upkeeping "the shine." Very impressive.

P.S.
And thanks again for demonstrating your polishing techniques on our Bambi II during the Region One rally in August. It was much appreciated especially after the light show from the night before which left little scratches in the finish!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bambi II decorated.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	27259  

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:55 AM   #14
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
We put a few miles in this year. Went to northern AZ mountains over a week and a half including the Memorial Day weekend and then two weeks in September to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. Now we're done for the season and I have some floor and electrical work to do before next spring. Been a good traveling year.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote