Old 10-30-2006, 09:36 AM   #43
Razorback

2005 30' Classic
Springdale , Arkansas
Busy Year

We have put 13,200 miles on Twinkie II since the first of the year. We spent 3 months seeing Texas (it's a BIG state!) After coming back home for a month to spend some time with family, we left for Missouri, Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota. We spent 6 weeks in Wisconsin, attended an AS rally there, and really would have liked to have stayed longer. June was Dairy Month and was really a treat. After another trip home for a couple of weeks, it was on to Ohio and the Jackson Center to get a door adjusted and a short in the electric jack fixed. From there: Niagara Falls and western NY, Pennsylvania, West VA, Kentucky, Alabama, and Florida. The Keys were spectacular! After 3 weeeks in Florida, we got a call that our son, who is a police officer in a drug task force had been shot during a raid on a meth house. My wife flew back home that night and I drove the 1200 miles back over the next 2 days. He is being released from ICU today and is expected to make a full recovery. http://www.nwarktimes.com/story.php?...storyid=170280

We will be home assisting with his recovery for a few months. After he is back to work, we will be back on the road again. AZ, NM, and CO are next on our states to see.

Sid and Becky
2005 Classic 30 "Twinkie II"
Hensley Arrow
2008 Bighorn 4X4 Dodge 2500 Cummins
WBCCI Member At Large #2786

Life is not a dress rehearsal, live your dreams!
razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:02 AM   #44
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
We just completed what was probably our last trip of our first year of owning our Airstream.

First, a shakedown trip to Vacaville, CA, where the campground flooded completely in what was the heaviest rainfall in Northern CA in 12 years.

Second, a terrific 4 days in Big Sur with sidetrips to places new to us in the State Parks and elsewhere.

Third, a NorCal Forums rally at Cassini Ranch along the Russian River.

Fourth, a Sierra foothills trip to Big Trees State Park famous for its Sequoias and a short stay at New Hogan Lake, a Corps of Engineers campground that was a surprisingly nice place to visit. We'll do more Corps of Engineers stops in the future because they are invariably located beside lakes (reservoirs). Oh, I was once an Engineer Officer too.

Fifth, Lakes Almanor and Alpine in the Sierras. I especially like the Lake Almanor area south of Mount Lassen National Volcanic Park because the trout fishing on the area streams is great fun. I've had 100-fish days!!!

Sixth, another Corps of Engineers campground at Lake Sonoma, which had no facilities due to some problem with plumbing. It was virtually empty on the Labor Day weekend!! We also stopped for a couple of days at the Bodega Dunes State Beach, which wasn't as nice as we expected in part due to the overcast, foggy climate and in part due to the minimal hiking or photo opportunities.

Seventh, the NorCal Forums rally at Lake San Antonio for three wonderful days at a great location. After that we took the long way home by going south to Refugio State Beach near Santa Barbara for one day, then to San Clemente State Beach for three days at a wonderful full-service campground on a bluff over the Pacific, then to Huntington Beach at a surprisingly nice setting in a parking lot with electric and water along the beach-side walkway, then to Carpinteria State Beach where we stayed in the long driveway available to visitors transiting but not actually staying in the campground, which we would never due because the sites are small and way, way overcrowded. We planned to make another stop at Pinnacles before the last leg home, but because we ran out of propane, we decided to make the 350 mile hike in one day.

We really enjoyed our first year in the Airstream and look forward to many more as Rosemary will retire next year joining Mike who already is retired and has trouble remembering what day of the week it is.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:38 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Razorback, your son and family have our prayers for his full recovery. We are all greatly indebted to our police and firemen, teachers, medics, and nurses, and others who serve in such essential positions. We hope he returns to health as quickly as possible and that you get back on the road again, headed southwest ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:33 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Brad and I just got back from a trip in Michigan. We spent two nights at Hardwick Pines and 5 over at Wilderness State Park on the beach. Gotta watch May and those flies...drat we forgot! Had a good time anyway. Watched sunrise and sunsets and enjoyed the rear view of the Airstream.

In January I went to Santa Rosa for the forums rally at TopSails and stayed 10 days, then over to the Mid Winter IBT Rally in Perry Georgia on the way home. One more stop was to the factory in Ohio and back into freshly falling snow. EEWWW Went for another stay at the factory in Jackson Center recently.

June will bring the Rivettes Summer Solstice Rally in Ohio and thinking about going to the International in Perry Georgia from there. I am sure we will be going out more the rest of the year but no particular destinations picked out as of yet.

I posted more pictures here: up_north Photo Gallery by Carol Baidinger at pbase.com

Where have you been?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1494.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	264.4 KB
ID:	37528   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1613.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	37529  

Name:	_MG_2333.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	37530   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_2148.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	37531  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:23 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Florida

Just returned from a 2 week break from reality. First week was in Fort DeSoto in St. Pete's on the West Coast, then the 2nd week was in St. Augustine Beach, North Beach Camp.

Both spots had their pros and cons - Fort DeSoto was super cheap ($28/night) with amazing views, but no sewer. North Beach Camp was more expensive, but had all the hookups needed. One tip though - they say there's WiFi, and that was true the first night there (there's nothing better than sitting at your site with a cold beverage and relaxing while surfing), but the rest of the time the signal never reached our site (and we were the closest to the source). We had to walk over to the laundry/shower room to get a signal that was strong enough. But aside from that, which is very minor in the grand scheme of things, it was great.

Trying to find a spot for next year in March, thinking of Outdoor Resorts in Melbourne. Hoping it'll be far enough south to guarantee decent weather.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	airstream.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	37667   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	37668  

Name:	airstream3.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	37669  
Old 05-21-2007, 04:56 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I would like to go South again next winter to break up the long NorthEastern winter so always looking for places. Maybe Texas next time. ??? Thanks for the reviews. It seems like many places we have camped that say internet or wi-fi get sporadic signal if at all. In the fall we took the laptop to a local hotel when we went to dinner because the signal was dropping all the time in the campgrounds. I have to agree having wi-fi in or near the Airstream seems very cool to me wish it was available to me all the time (for free! )

photography
Old 05-21-2007, 05:29 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic
Pecos , New Mexico
Just about to finish a long journey. Started the trip on October 15 and are just about ready to park for a few months and enjoy a mountain summer in our stick house. Began in Las Vegas for a month to enjoy a couple of great shows, PBR finals, good food and warm weather, moved to south Texas for a few months to enjoy Lake LBJ, spend the holidays with family and friends, then on to Benson AZ for two weeks to enjoy warm sun and good road friends, then Needles CA, Cowchilla CA, Oroville CA, Medford OR, Long Beach WA for three weeks - enjoyed beaches and great sea food. Got a call from family in the TX panhandle and had to make a B-line back to help out. Headed down to TX by way of Rock Springs WY, Fort Collins CO, Clayton NM and then spent three weeks in the driveway of my SO's parents in Friona TX. Now we are in Alamogordo NM for a week or two to enjoy some sun, warm weather and good NM green chili. We have really enjoyed the trip - made lots of good friends along the way and really, really enjoyed having an Airstream as our home. Logged just over 16,500 miles, so far. Plan to head out again in early fall. Maybe we will run into some of you guys on the road!!
Pecos Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:16 PM   #50
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
To Lowes, a lot.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:23 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
We took the trailer to FL for two weeks this past winter for the first time ever. Even though we drove home for two days in the snow, it was worth the break. We stayed at Disney's Fort Wilderness for five days and spent five days at Jetty Park in Cape Canaveral. Perfect weather in the high 70's the whole time (till the trip home). I posted some pictures on this thread.

We will definitely be doing another trip to a warm climate area again next year.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:05 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Cape Canaveral looks beautiful! I love the pelicans and the cruise ships and the blue blue water. Definitely nice compared to your New England winter. I heard from many sources that Fort Wildeness is very very nice. Did you have to reserve very far in advance?

Pecos Pete you are certainly making full use of your Airstream. I certainly wouldn't have a problem being a copycat and living like you have been, I'm envious of 34' of home too. Isn't it amazing how every Airstream is different and everyone uses theirs in a different way?

Fun to be able to share and read what everyone has been up to.

Gen Disarray, I bet whatever you are working on so diligently is not only a labor of love but also excellence in detail.

I just hauled around a ten foot ladder across stones and grass and uneven surfaces and washed the white part of the Airstream roof this evening with a new (gentle) power washer on very gentle and indirect spray (our water pressure here is very low) I used a telescoping brush on the paint only and did not look down. It was scarey and awkward for me, I am SO proud. And sore... Tomorrow hopefully the sides and then onto Walbernizing with gentle cloths. Did I mention I am being very gentle? LOL

photography
Old 05-21-2007, 10:26 PM   #53
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Carol,
Where have I not been.
I expect to be heading to the southwest for work in the next couple of weeks. Airplane only.
to se my full adventures...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...s-31243-2.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...n-31415-2.html

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:29 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic
Pecos , New Mexico
Carol,

Gool luck with the washing and Walbernizing project. We were just talking about Walbernizing ours sometime soon We are in the desert southwest now, so it is hard to get a shady and not gritty spot to do it.

We love the Airstream life and have spent a lot of time on this trip trying to decide if we want to spend more time on the road (have been on the road at least 3ight months each of the last two years), or perhaps full time. Selling the stick house and all of our possessions except for the Airstream is a huge step - but not at all out of the picture. Hope you can live more in your Airstream home too.
Pecos Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:30 PM   #55
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Carol,
Where have I not been.
I expect to be heading to the southwest for work in the next couple of weeks. Airplane only.
to se my full adventures...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...s-31243-2.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...n-31415-2.html
Do you have any idea where you will be based?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:33 PM   #56
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Not sure, Nevada, or Nothern Arizona at this point. California has thier on fire fighting crews and unless they get in over thier heads they don't call the US Forest Service.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote