Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2006, 11:17 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Where do YOU suggest. . .and why?

Hello, all. This is wordy, so please bear with me. Max and I just discovered that we have to change our plans and cancel our reservations at Stanley Lake, ID, the last week of August and early September. We snapped up that beautiful site (#4) early in the summer, and while it kills me to cancel it, some other lucky camper is going to get to enjoy it now. Which brings me to my question: knowing that we can travel after the first week of September (2-3 weeks on the road) and we want to stay somewhere in the New Mexico, Colo, Mont, Wyo, Idaho region, where should we plan to go and what are the attractions? Here's your chance to sell your favorite western/Rockies experience! Our parameters: we are limited on site size with a 30'er, which stops us from most FS sites. IF we stay at a resort, it needs to be a friendly, non-hectic environment. Max has some lung problems which limits our camping at HIGH altitudes. We day trip there, but overnighting is stressful. We'd prefer the drive to a camping area (while pulling our AS) that is easy, free of that precipice edge, hairpin turn, STEEP ascent-descent, hair-raising pass kind of experience. That is however fine when we are in the truck day tripping without the AS! We love to fish, sightsee, light hiking (again, health issues prevent high country hiking). We like to camp in a central area where we can daytrip out to great scenic, historical, nature world activities. So,. . .please fill our thread with your best suggestions. We need to make a decision so we can make our reservations, and I told Max that the best ideas might come from YOU! PS-we've never been in this area for fall color or cooler weather, so please comment on that as well. Thanks, G (Some of the places we've been and enjoyed are: Yellowstone/Tetons, Glacier, Rky Mtn NP, SantaFe/Taos, and the Sawtooth region of ID. We are open to returning to any of those for new activities you may describe.)
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Go North...

Georgia-

If you liked Glacier NP and Tetons, and were willing to drive to Idaho, in about the same time or another day, you could be camped at Lake Louise or Banff in Canadian Rockies NP.. Crossing border relatively painless (several threads with tips on papers, weapons and pets..) and I don't think campgrounds there are high altitude, as most of peaks you look at from bases, rather than climb. Highest pass between west and east side of Rockies there is 6200'.. Arriving from south via Bozeman and east side of Glacier National Park up to Calgary will avoid high altitudes. Camping at Lake Louise or Banff accommodates big motorhomes and large trailers, with at least water and electric hookups, and real heavy tourist season ends Labor Day. Neither Canadian National Park takes RV reservations, but spaces will be available if you arrive early in afternoons...

Activities include run along Glacier Parkway to Jasper, where trans-Canada train stops daily, trip in all-terrain bus out onto the Glacier, and visits, meals etc at two fabulous Fairmont hotels in Banff and Lake Louise.. Fishing is good, short or medium hikes are everywhere, and you can also visit Calgary and Olympic sites on way out...

Downside is you risk chance of snow in late September, but it usually melts rather quickly and warms up again... We've been snowed on in Colorade and Wyoming and Utah in mid September, but never delayed more than a day..

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
John, thanks! We hadn't considered the Canadian Rockies, but I'm off to read up on them. You gave great info for us. Thanks again, and we hope to hear lots of other ideas to compare, but yes, now we'll consider "north!" ~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 07-12-2006, 01:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Don't let it be "the one that got away"

I'd second the Banff/Lk Louise suggestion. I'd have to say it's even more beautiful than the Tetons. If you like to fish then you might want to make a loop down through the Kootenay region:

http://www.discovernelson.com/htdocs/fishing.html

If you like that sort of thing that is

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Pictures...

Here are two pictures taken on our trip in July of 2004...

One shows light blue waters of Lake Louise looking towards glacier above it.. Hotel is out of picture to the right, on shores of the Lake... The other shows view south from Glacier Parkway below Jasper near PaintPots hiking trail...

John McG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lake_Louise04.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	23534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Glacier_Pkwy04.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	23535  

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Great photos, John! They are tempting us into that lo-o-ong drive to get there. Now, the rest of you, what about great trips in NM, Colo, Mont, Wyo, ID? We really do hope to hear about possibilities in all these (or other) areas. We are wide open to possibilities. We haven't traveled since we slipped away to Traverse Bay last August, and we are getting CRAZY to hit the road! Help, please. Send us your ideas Thanks, ~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 07-12-2006, 03:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
If you're headed to Banff you've also got all of Idaho that's "on the way". Lake Coeur d'Alene, Priest Lake and Lake Pend O’Reille all come to mind. Sun Valley/Ketchum has something for everyone at all times of the year. There's some lava beds in northern Idaho, forget the name, that are not only amazing landscape but the nuclear history going back to WWII is also quite interesting.

If you wanted to "take the long way home" then the Cascade range in Washington and Oregon have half a dozen "real mountains" and the St. Helens visitor center is, well, something you don't see everyday. They just opened up limited permits for hiking to the crater so I guess they don't expect it to explode between now and then... but ya never know

-Bernie

bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
One last bump and plea for advice on where in the near West you would recommend for a central location for a 2-3 week camping trip. I'm busily reading travel books and searching on the web, but real personal experience is more persuasive. Since "just camping" seems to be a major theme of forum members, I think everyone would love reading your suggestions! We value your ideas! Thanks for sharing your favorite camping areas ASAP ~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 07-13-2006, 01:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Have you checked these out in the Forum's "Campgrounds" section? There are several listings with forum member comments.

What elevation is "too high" for you to overnight at? I may have a couple of other Colorado suggestions...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
New Mexico suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
One last bump and plea for advice on where in the near West you would recommend for a central location for a 2-3 week camping trip. I'm busily reading travel books and searching on the web, but real personal experience is more persuasive. Since "just camping" seems to be a major theme of forum members, I think everyone would love reading your suggestions! We value your ideas! Thanks for sharing your favorite camping areas ASAP ~G
The Aspens should be in full color in the New Mexico mountains in Sept.

Santa Fe campgrounds make a good base of operations at only about 6000' elevation. Day trips can be up the Santa Fe ski mtn. road, hwy 475 to see the Aspens or just around the Santa Fe galleries, museums and restaurants.

If you would rather base in Taos, there are a series of roads that make a nice loop including hwy 64 to Angel Fire, Eagle Nest, Red River and back to Taos. When in Eagle Nest, be sure to take the short side trip on hwy 64 through Cimmaron Canyon to the town of Cimmaron. Have lunch in the St. James hotel & view the hotel historical video and see all the bullet holes in the ceiling.
Just west of Taos on hwy 64 is the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge that is fun to walk out on and gaze at the Rio Grande far below.

If you like Indain ruins, check out Bandelier near Los Alamos. The Bandelier campground is likely too small for your 30 footer.

Campground suggestions might be;
Taos Valley RV Park & Campground in Taos,
Trailer Ranch RV Park in Santa Fe,
Little Creel RV Park in Chama right on the Chama River,
etc.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:36 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Come to Arizona

Noticed you still need Arizona and Utah filled in on the map. You may want to consider a trip to Monument Valley (on AZ-UT border) and or The Grand Canyon its a MUST SEE.

I'm taking the family the last weekend in Sept. This is the only RV park with full hook-ups in or near Monument Valley. My in-laws are coming on this trip so there is no way I'm boondocking with my mother-in-law.. love her to death but she's not a camper

http://campgroundreviews.com/regions/Utah/Monument_Valley.html

If you like day trips Monument Valley is a good location to explore the four corners region (Utah, CO, NM, AZ). NOTE: Arizona like many other Western States is a huge state so "day trip" may be well over 200 Miles.

AZstreamin.
AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:37 AM   #12
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I agree, but I suggest the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. The view is better then the South Rim, it has far fewer visitors and none of the hit and run bus tours. The campground is open untill mid October.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:38 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Gosh Georgia, this is a hard one.. Been to Banff, loved it, want to go back especially after seeing the pictures of Lake Louise and the mountains.

As for New Mexico, Airstream25 mentioned the Taos area. Did you know we have a forum member with a rv park in Angel Fire? Very laid back and beautiful. Not a real high altitude and easy to get to from here in the midwest. 13 hour drive from my driveway. You can follow the Santa Fe Trail through Kansas. There is much to see along it, especially if you have a Santa Fe Trail guidebook with you. Besides that, you could stop overnight and see us!!!!

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 02:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Hi Beth! Thanks for responding here. Yes, I'm aware of Eubank and have read some of those posts while doing some of my web search. I think BC is too much for this fall trip, though we've got to break away some day and get to the far Northwest and coast. I'm leaning toward the NM trip, but that's pretty far too, but we've always wanted to go back to the SantaFe/Taos region. And, it would be nice to meet person to person some of our Forum friends. More to think about! (We leave our diabetic disabled son here at home when we travel and while another son lives only a mile away and is super about checking in daily, we still have lots of concern when we are gone. Long, multiweek trips may never be in our future, and that's okay too) ~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 07-16-2006, 10:41 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
I'm leaning toward the NM trip,

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
I'm aware of Eubank and have read some of those posts while doing some of my web search. I think BC is too much for this fall trip, though we've got to break away some day and get to the far Northwest and coast. I'm leaning toward the NM trip, but that's pretty far too, but we've always wanted to go back to the SantaFe/Taos region. And, it would be nice to meet person to person some of our Forum friends.
Before starting your trip, be sure to check out the Forums Members Map. It will show you who you might meet along your route. We have a bunch of pins in NM
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:50 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Airstream25, that's a great idea that I probably wouldn't have thought of myself! Thanks~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 07-16-2006, 04:22 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
Max and Georgia,

Some ideas for "along the way" stops, even though they may not be places one would want to stay for extended periods.

On your way to your ultimate destination, State Highway #2 diagonally across Nebraska is a beautiful drive through some premier ranch country. Tiny towns, isolated ranches (some counties with less than 1000 population), and generally interesting topography. The route takes you through Crawford which is only three or four miles from Fort Robinson. The fort has an RV park and a lot of American Indian history.

For central camping and easy day trips the South Dakota Black Hills are a great destination. I was a tent camper when we visited there several times so don't know anything about RV parks but there have to be plenty of them given the popularity of the area. I loved setting up camp at a campground just north of Wind Cave. I think about all the major sight-seeing locations were within seventy-five miles. We'd sight-see until late afternoon, then go to the natural hot springs swimming pool at Hot Springs, get clean and refreshed, eat, and go to the tent and sleep like a baby.

Although not for extended times, but none the less, interesting to visit in southern Idaho, are these places I like.

1) Three Island Crossing State Park on the Snake River at Glenn's Ferry. There is a small Oregon Trail Interpretive Center there and the RV sites are good.

2) Only twenty-five miles from there is the Bruneau Dunes State Park in the desert south of the Snake River just a ways south of Mountain Home. Although I'm not a fisherman, I understand that there is good fishing on the Snake River at C.J. Strike Reservoir only five or six miles from the park. The dunes are fun for kids of all ages (no powered vehicles allowed on them). The night sky is awesome as there is no light pollution to contend with. There is a small observatory located there. We love to take a lunch and climb a dune about sunset when the temperature is more bearable, then stay a while after dark just lying on our backs watching the sky and listening to the awesome sounds of ducks, geese, frogs, insects, and coyotes. There are some very rugged desert canyons near there (the Bruneau River Canyon, etc.).

3) Late in the season (we like late October and into November) The entry into Hell's Canyon is a great place to camp. Idaho Power Company has three dams and their reservoirs on the Snake River (Brownlee, Oxbow, and Hell's Canyon) and they maintain four very good campgrounds with hundreds of sites. During the late times that we go there are only a very few chukker hunters and fisherman in the campsites so there is little noise and not much activity. Usually the temperatures are quite mild, given the deep gorge that tends to protect from extreme weather and hold the warmth. The campgrounds are meticulously maintained and the rest rooms are the best I've encountered. There is a lot of wildlife in the canyon. For example, I've had to stop my vehicle to let Bighorn Sheep cross the road. Idaho Power has a web site that lists the campgrounds.

Southern Idaho is desert with its own type of beauty, but for picture postcard, gorgeous scenery, you can't beat the Coeur d'Alene and Sand Point areas! Since I've only been up there a couple of times I'll have to let someone else talk details, but north Idaho can't be beat for world class scenery.

By the way, I'd almost bet that you could get an RV spot around Stanley if you decide you still want to come.

Gene
Old 07-16-2006, 05:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Gene, thank you for the travel tips! I can tell from your descriptions that you have visited and loved the places you describe. Maybe you are an Idahoan from your insight into the availability at Stanley! I'd love to see the night sky from the dunes as you describe. We'll think hard about the trip across Nebraska West. I'm getting out the atlas to check Highway 2--I remember traveling diagonally northwest after we'd gone on I80 a long ways on our way to Red Lodge in Montana once. Again, we really appreciate and will consider all the tips and hope other Airstreamers are adding these to their travels files! ~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 07-21-2006, 11:33 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Sun Valley , Idaho
Steamboat Springs, Co.

Hi Georgia, Have you explored this area? There is a very nice camp ground at
Stagecoach St park elevation 7,250. It has hookups, showers etc. It is on a lake. It will not compare to the lovely Stanley Lake in Id. There are a lot of
hikes and lots to explore. We have not been up Elk river but many more camp
grounds up there as well. Our property just 5 mi from Stagecoach and wish
our "camp" area were larger or you could hang out there. We have a fenced
camp with sheepcamp and Tipi...fenced for the dogs and so Elk & Deer can"t
get in but not much turn around space. We have stayed at Stagecoach and
liked it a lot. Steamboat is a very western town and very friendy folks. I think
you would like it very much. We go to Sante Fe and Taos all the time as Johns sister Georgia lives there and we find it very hard to find camping in the
area. There is one camp on the way up to the ski area but it is very small.
Good luck in finding the perfect place. Warm Regards and Happy Trails, Betty
Bettymsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:46 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Sun Valley , Idaho
Idaho in the fall

Georgia, I agree with Gene, after Labor day you should not have any trouble
finding a spot at Stanley Lake or Redfish also just about 3 miles up Trailcreek
from Sun Valley resort is a nice little camp ground called Boundry on the creek.
Also many places to boondock. You can't beat this area for beauty if you feel
you can still come this far west. I also can tell you of beautiful meadows out
of Stanley to boondock.....you will wake up with Elk in your camp. Cheers, Betty
Bettymsb is offline   Reply With Quote