1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
I'm leaning toward the NM trip,

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
I'm aware of Eubank and have read some of those posts while doing some of my web search. I think BC is too much for this fall trip, though we've got to break away some day and get to the far Northwest and coast. I'm leaning toward the NM trip, but that's pretty far too, but we've always wanted to go back to the SantaFe/Taos region. And, it would be nice to meet person to person some of our Forum friends.
Before starting your trip, be sure to check out the Forums Members Map. It will show you who you might meet along your route. We have a bunch of pins in NM

AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:50 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Airstream25, that's a great idea that I probably wouldn't have thought of myself! Thanks~G

Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 05:22 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
Max and Georgia,

Some ideas for "along the way" stops, even though they may not be places one would want to stay for extended periods.

On your way to your ultimate destination, State Highway #2 diagonally across Nebraska is a beautiful drive through some premier ranch country. Tiny towns, isolated ranches (some counties with less than 1000 population), and generally interesting topography. The route takes you through Crawford which is only three or four miles from Fort Robinson. The fort has an RV park and a lot of American Indian history.

For central camping and easy day trips the South Dakota Black Hills are a great destination. I was a tent camper when we visited there several times so don't know anything about RV parks but there have to be plenty of them given the popularity of the area. I loved setting up camp at a campground just north of Wind Cave. I think about all the major sight-seeing locations were within seventy-five miles. We'd sight-see until late afternoon, then go to the natural hot springs swimming pool at Hot Springs, get clean and refreshed, eat, and go to the tent and sleep like a baby.

Although not for extended times, but none the less, interesting to visit in southern Idaho, are these places I like.

1) Three Island Crossing State Park on the Snake River at Glenn's Ferry. There is a small Oregon Trail Interpretive Center there and the RV sites are good.

2) Only twenty-five miles from there is the Bruneau Dunes State Park in the desert south of the Snake River just a ways south of Mountain Home. Although I'm not a fisherman, I understand that there is good fishing on the Snake River at C.J. Strike Reservoir only five or six miles from the park. The dunes are fun for kids of all ages (no powered vehicles allowed on them). The night sky is awesome as there is no light pollution to contend with. There is a small observatory located there. We love to take a lunch and climb a dune about sunset when the temperature is more bearable, then stay a while after dark just lying on our backs watching the sky and listening to the awesome sounds of ducks, geese, frogs, insects, and coyotes. There are some very rugged desert canyons near there (the Bruneau River Canyon, etc.).

3) Late in the season (we like late October and into November) The entry into Hell's Canyon is a great place to camp. Idaho Power Company has three dams and their reservoirs on the Snake River (Brownlee, Oxbow, and Hell's Canyon) and they maintain four very good campgrounds with hundreds of sites. During the late times that we go there are only a very few chukker hunters and fisherman in the campsites so there is little noise and not much activity. Usually the temperatures are quite mild, given the deep gorge that tends to protect from extreme weather and hold the warmth. The campgrounds are meticulously maintained and the rest rooms are the best I've encountered. There is a lot of wildlife in the canyon. For example, I've had to stop my vehicle to let Bighorn Sheep cross the road. Idaho Power has a web site that lists the campgrounds.

Southern Idaho is desert with its own type of beauty, but for picture postcard, gorgeous scenery, you can't beat the Coeur d'Alene and Sand Point areas! Since I've only been up there a couple of times I'll have to let someone else talk details, but north Idaho can't be beat for world class scenery.

By the way, I'd almost bet that you could get an RV spot around Stanley if you decide you still want to come.

Gene
Old 07-16-2006, 06:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Gene, thank you for the travel tips! I can tell from your descriptions that you have visited and loved the places you describe. Maybe you are an Idahoan from your insight into the availability at Stanley! I'd love to see the night sky from the dunes as you describe. We'll think hard about the trip across Nebraska West. I'm getting out the atlas to check Highway 2--I remember traveling diagonally northwest after we'd gone on I80 a long ways on our way to Red Lodge in Montana once. Again, we really appreciate and will consider all the tips and hope other Airstreamers are adding these to their travels files! ~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 07-21-2006, 12:33 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Sun Valley , Idaho
Steamboat Springs, Co.

Hi Georgia, Have you explored this area? There is a very nice camp ground at
Stagecoach St park elevation 7,250. It has hookups, showers etc. It is on a lake. It will not compare to the lovely Stanley Lake in Id. There are a lot of
hikes and lots to explore. We have not been up Elk river but many more camp
grounds up there as well. Our property just 5 mi from Stagecoach and wish
our "camp" area were larger or you could hang out there. We have a fenced
camp with sheepcamp and Tipi...fenced for the dogs and so Elk & Deer can"t
get in but not much turn around space. We have stayed at Stagecoach and
liked it a lot. Steamboat is a very western town and very friendy folks. I think
you would like it very much. We go to Sante Fe and Taos all the time as Johns sister Georgia lives there and we find it very hard to find camping in the
area. There is one camp on the way up to the ski area but it is very small.
Good luck in finding the perfect place. Warm Regards and Happy Trails, Betty
Old 07-21-2006, 12:46 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Sun Valley , Idaho
Idaho in the fall

Georgia, I agree with Gene, after Labor day you should not have any trouble
finding a spot at Stanley Lake or Redfish also just about 3 miles up Trailcreek
from Sun Valley resort is a nice little camp ground called Boundry on the creek.
Also many places to boondock. You can't beat this area for beauty if you feel
you can still come this far west. I also can tell you of beautiful meadows out
of Stanley to boondock.....you will wake up with Elk in your camp. Cheers, Betty
Old 07-21-2006, 01:01 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Sun Valley , Idaho
Gros Ventre

Hi again Georgia, forgot to mention my very favorite camp ground. It is out of
Jackson Hole a few miles maybe 10? It is called Gros Ventre pronounced
Gro Vaunt. We like to go over in spring and fall....It is soooo beautiful. And we
always without fail in the fall see Moose in the campground. Last year it was
a big bull just lying around. So awesome to see that close. This camp has huge trees and in the fall it is truly lovely. Jackson not so crowded at that
time of year and Yellowstone not far away. Cheers again Betty
Old 07-21-2006, 11:39 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Monument Valley/ Canyon de Chelley

Monument Valley and Canyon de Chelley are just amazing places.
Basicaly living museums on Navajo Culture....and great places to shop for turquoise jewelry.
Pic of necklace from Canyon de Chelley...paid $60 for that.
#2 Cottonwood Campground Canyon de Chelley...free boondocking.
#3 Me at Canyon de Chelley North Rim
#4 Gouldings Campground Monument Valley...I met klevan here.
#5 Me at Monument Valley...the monuments are the defining landscapes of the West.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-288F.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	23796   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-808F.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	23797  

Name:	MVC-835F.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	23798   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-214F.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	23799  

Name:	MVC-284F.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	23800  

AIR # 410
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 12:05 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
I agree, but I suggest the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. The view is better then the South Rim, it has far fewer visitors and none of the hit and run bus tours. The campground is open untill mid October.
I agree, it's 1000' higher in elevation and much more mellow. Plus Zion N.P. is only 3/4 of a days drive away,lots of great scenery.

Mark
Old 07-22-2006, 09:01 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Still undecided, but our week+ of 05-105 with higher heat index surely has found us map and campground reading! All of you have been so generous with your descriptions of your favorites. Now I want 3-6 months to live it all. David, Mark Betty, Gene and others, you are tops. I wonder if other forum members are getting travel tips here? ~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 07-22-2006, 09:08 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettymsb@msn
It is called Gros Ventre pronounced
Gro Vaunt.
Spent 6 days there in 2001. It is beautiful and very peaceful,far enough from the crowds to relax,yet close enough to Jackson,Snake River,Jackson and Jenny Lakes and the greater Grand Teton area. I can't wait to visit again.

Mark
Old 07-22-2006, 09:13 AM   #26
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
We love the four-corners states and usually wind up in one fairly small area, where we explore the area and its culture and its history pretty thoroughly. (Took us a week at Mesa Verde, for example.) It's a little unusual at first, but after you do it a couple of times, you really get into asking questions, learning, discovering that even rangers may not know enough to satisfy your curiosity. I guess the trick is to read everything you can get your hands on before and during the visit.

Oh, and it saves a lot of gas, too!

Lynn
Old 07-22-2006, 12:15 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Lynn, that's how we usually vacation also. I call it saturation prep. Just like you, we've read all we can find about a small area and then spend that week or two doing all we can do and learning all we can learn. That's why we keep returning to some of the same states because when there, we've really been in just one part for a while. We day trip out from a central location, only rarely spending a night on the road away from camp. We are thinking hard about your region too. Bandelier is the only park of that type we've visited so there's lots more to see. Yes, it does save gas, except it takes us so much to get to those enticing locations! ~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 07-22-2006, 12:47 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
my house!

Come to our house, pull into our driveway, and have some margaritas!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote