Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2016, 08:08 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Sulphur , Louisiana
Where do you stop for the night?

We eventually want to pull our tradewind to Colorado from Louisiana after we do some restoration. We have a few destinations in mind but aren't sure of where to stay the night and along the way. Did you guys stop at RV parks, state parks, Walmart parking lots? Or all of the above? We always checked the trip advisor app for top ranking hotels, things to do, popular restaurants, near our destinations. This time we have an airstream. Pulling an airstream to a hotel kind of defeats the purpose. Any RV related apps you guys use for finding places to stay? First time camping/airstreaming. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1451747279.487632.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	254963
Bobkatbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Depends on when you want to stop that night. early stopping often mean a campground fro reason like, I want a long shower, batteries need charging, or it is too dam cold to dry camp at Wal Mart.

The app Allstays has a very wide list of information than goes all the way down to city parks. Plus filters for all kinds of services.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Enjoy restoring your beauty! We use Allstays app and it has been wonderful! If we are just passing through getting from point A to point B, we will generally find a campground that has a pull through and we won't even "unhitch". I plan my meals accordingly, usually chicken salad or something easy for dinner that doesn't require getting out grill or other items. We have stayed at many State Parks and absolutely love them but usually find that KOA'a are pretty good for just a night. Have fun and safe travels!!

Laura & Tom
Old 01-02-2016, 08:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Almost always at some sort of commercial campground or a park that is fairly close to the highway. I have never stayed at a Walmart or Flying J. I almost never unhitch while "on the road". I just feel safer in a real campground. At first we tried hard to do state parks and forest service type campgrounds but found that the additional time driving and the fuel used made that option more expensive than a pull through right near the highway.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
If it's just for overnight, something close to the highway. Walmart, Flying J, RV Park, small town city park in Midwest. Interstate rest area (noisy, unsafe) only if nothing else.

Better to pick some one-day destinations of interest along the way, spend two nights there and enjoy the place. Or stay longer if it's good and you have the time. There's a lot to see in this country, interesting people and places.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
We started make long "snowbird" trips from Ontario to Arzona / California / Florida each winter when I retired in 1998 - been doing it every year.

When trying to make good time traveling, we got in the habit of stopping to sleep at Flying J's.

I was a bit apprehensive at first - and still am wary to a degree, but so far, touch wood, have never had the slightest problem.

I might be more concerned if we were the only RV, but that has never happened - typically we are in a section with maybe a half dozen others.

What I appreciate about it - apart from saving a few $,( especially with our present devalued Canadian $) - is no need to unhook hookup. Quick in and quick out, so we can be on the road again early in the am.

We usually need to run our furnace and so a few years ago I started using a Honda gennie. I chain it to the tongue when we arrive and run it during the evening for light/heat/tv/etc, then put it away at bed time and we run the furnace on the coach batteries.

I usually put it out again in the am while we have breakfast to quickly bring the batteries back up.

Flying J seem quite ok with RV overnighters - we always eat at their restaurants (Now Dennie's) and fill up with diesel when we stop.

They also have showers for a fee - showers are cleaned and fresh towels between each user.

Haven't tried a Walmart or Cracker Barrel yet, but I know many folk do.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:45 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
When on the road we wing it. When I'm tired we find a place, generally a Walmart, truck stop or rest area. But that's on the east coast. Out west state and national parks do the trick. In Canada it's pretty much provincial parks. Once at our destination we prefer (well I prefer, I'm sure the significant other would be just fine in resort parks) government properties of some kind, or just boon docking it.
brokeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:56 AM   #8
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
All of the above. I second the vote for Allstays app. We use a variety of means to locate suitable stopover locations but Allstays is our "go to" app.

For quick overnights we find Cracker Barrel to be most suitable for us. Even though they are typically close to the highway (so you'll hear that noise) they close at 10PM so the parking lots are relatively quiet. We've also stayed at Walmart but the 24 hr. variety can have lots of parking lot traffic noise. Parking lot noise and diesel engines idling are the reason we don't stay at Flying J although we know lots of people stay there. For Walmart and Cracker Barrel we always ask the manager if it's okay to stay overnight. Some locations do not permit overnight stays. I suspect Flying J is not a problem although it's the local code that dictates whether it's legal to stay overnight so even with Flying J it's probably best to ask.

As mentioned above... if we need to dump, fill the fresh water tank, need electricity, etc. we stay at a campground. We very seldom unhitch if are just staying overnight.

For longer stays of two or more nights with some sightseeing involved we prefer state parks, national parks, etc. Once again, Allstays has almost all of those listed and much more.

I joined Moose International and that gives us another option. Sometimes we use it as an overnight or sometimes we stay several days. Some locations are boondocking, some have 15A electrical, some have water, you just have to call ahead. Many Moose locations have RV connections including 30/50A, water and sewer. We typically pay $10 per night at Moose Lodges.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:15 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
All of the above. I second the vote for Allstays app. We use a variety of means to locate suitable stopover locations but Allstays is our "go to" app.

For quick overnights we find Cracker Barrel to be most suitable for us. Even though they are typically close to the highway (so you'll hear that noise) they close at 10PM so the parking lots are relatively quiet. We've also stayed at Walmart but the 24 hr. variety can have lots of parking lot traffic noise. Parking lot noise and diesel engines idling are the reason we don't stay at Flying J although we know lots of people stay there. For Walmart and Cracker Barrel we always ask the manager if it's okay to stay overnight. Some locations do not permit overnight stays. I suspect Flying J is not a problem although it's the local code that dictates whether it's legal to stay overnight so even with Flying J it's probably best to ask.

As mentioned above... if we need to dump, fill the fresh water tank, need electricity, etc. we stay at a campground. We very seldom unhitch if are just staying overnight.

For longer stays of two or more nights with some sightseeing involved we prefer state parks, national parks, etc. Once again, Allstays has almost all of those listed and much more.

I joined Moose International and that gives us another option. Sometimes we use it as an overnight or sometimes we stay several days. Some locations are boondocking, some have 15A electrical, some have water, you just have to call ahead. Many Moose locations have RV connections including 30/50A, water and sewer. We typically pay $10 per night at Moose Lodges.

Some good points, but truth to tell, I feel more comfortable (from a security aspect) at the FJ's just because of the bright lights and continual activity around the place!

We spend long days on the road when traveling to our destination, and are usually pretty tired at bed time and for that reason, we never have trouble sleeping!

It isn't often that we hear idling diesels as the 18 wheelers are parked in a completely separate area.

I do recall one instance when we did have an idling diesel next to us though - it was a minor annoyance, but again presented no problem for us in getting to sleep.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:17 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Its normal to be a little apprehensive about staying at Flying Js and similar truck stops, or in mall parking lots and even interstate rest areas when you first embark on your AS odyssy. But those are the places I've used for the past 5 years while on the road to some far-flung destinations due to their convenience...without a single hassle. Of course, I move when something intuitively doesn't feel right, stay vigilant, and also have a nice dog and mean gun in the camper. But I never had a hassle using common sense, and it takes 10 min. to be back on the road in the mornings. Safe travels... you'll have a great time. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:27 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
We have used Walmart many times with no problems. I can't think of a single time where we were the only RV on a Walmart parking lot. We always go inside and ask if it is ok to stay the night. Tried Cracker Barrel one time but did not like it because we were the only RV and parked in the dark behind the building. I'll take the Walmart anytime. The Flying J are ok but we will take the Walmart over the Flying J.

The problem I see looming on the horizion are campers who are living out of their RV's. They have no home, no job, and usually have children. I'm talking about a very small group and we have all seen them. They will stay, for example at Walmart up to the time limit then move down the road to a Flying J and then back to the Walmart. Most of the times they stand out like a sore thumb. I have seen as many as 10 RV's parked at Walmarts that fit this description. Some Walmart's have already stopped over night parking for this reason. It makes their parking lot look like a run down trailer court.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:47 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Here in Florida many Walmarts restrict overnight parking, I'm not sure if it's the the store policy or town ordinance. Personally we prefer campgrounds for overnight stays, especially pull through & stay connected for easy departure.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:50 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Mostly Roadside R V parks, rest stops occasionally, along the west coast in summertime it can be a challenge just winging it as most parks are full up.

When driving south from S F heading for Monterey this summer, every where I called was full. So I ended up just pulling off of a farm access road along the coast.
This turned into a very pleasent stop over. Well off the highway, nice area to explore. It's a shame we feel so vulnerable when just out and about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	443.9 KB
ID:	254966  
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:52 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Cool light fog in the morning, lighthouse on the point.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	196
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	254967  
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:56 AM   #15
Richard

2006 30' Classic S/O
Merced , California
Try this link. Thousands of Free Overnight locations

Overnight RV Parking
kleimanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:19 PM   #16
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Allstays. App.

Compendium. Web site.
Photobum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:31 PM   #17
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
We prefer to stay in commercial RV parks, but find the cost a bit daunting. Consequently, when possible we stay at Passport America parks. At half price, they make a reasonable alternative and have taken us to some interesting parks. On our East coast trip, we were late to start and therefore late to our first night destination. Not wanting to spend a lot of coin for a short night, we pulled into the Walmart and had a great night. On the other side of town was a PA Park that we missed in our research. We stayed there on the way home and found it to be one of the best on our trip. But take care, we stayed in a PA park on one of our shakedown trips and found it beautiful with respect to amenities, but horribly noisy.

The Cracker Barrel may be a great solution. We stayed at one that was in a strip mall area which felt safe and worked well. We love their breakfast and wish we had them here in California. But we gave one a pass that was located in a dark commercial location. Basic rule for any site, even an expensive commercial park is simple - if you feel unsafe, leave.

Rest areas are not all created equal. We have found the car side to be a better solution that the truck side. In most cases, the trucks need every available space so giving them a break seems to be a good practice.

We do not like truck stops, but that may change over time. As with rest areas, they are not all equal. The one common denominator is that they and the commercial parks close to the highway are all noisy.

We have tried a few state parks. They generally do not have full hook up. They do seem to be a more natural environment. Our experience is that hookups are expensive and dry camping is a better value.

KOAs seem to be quite expensive, but a site with elect and water is less expensive and you can dump when you leave. Sometimes they are best solution.

There is also courtesy parking if you are a WBCCI member. It is a list of folks who have a pad or driveway that they allow you to use for an overnight stay. We have no experience as we can not provide the same courtesy in return. May be worth investigating.

And if you are anywhere near Jackson Center Ohio, the Factory is a must do destination. The $10 a night is a real value and the factory tour is worth your time.

Good luck with your travels. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:38 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Palestine , Texas
I use Allstays frequently, but I was told there is a fee to have your park listed with them. I often find RV parks not listed with Alstays, using Google on my phone and just search for parks near the nearest town. Found a very nice one outside Alexandria, La. that way recently. If the weather is nice and we are passing through, I look for a 24 hr. Walmart (save $$). Never had a problem there, but we are usually inside after dark. I'm not a cheapskate, but I do admit to being a tightwad. 😀
WBCCI #31443

"Don't follow me.
I've spent my life leading folks astray."
Will_Brule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:48 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
If I just need a night's sleep, I'll hit a Walmart, Cracker Barrel, Cabelas, highway rest area, truck stop etc. I have the "AllStays Camp & RV" App on my iPhone. LOTS of good and useful information there and, it was a one time cost of $5 ~ $7. If I have WiFi available, I'll use Allstays on my iPad; the bigger screen is much appreciated by my aging eyes!
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:57 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Like others have said/implied there are lots of options and each of us eventually finds the one that best suits us.

For my wife and me, our trips are generally planned and frequently long (our next one is 6,000 miles over 8 weeks). We choose not to stay at Walmart, flying j or commercial rv parks. Our strong preference is for state, county or national parks. The beauty of Airstreaming for us is that we can go to and stay at places that people without an rv can't access easily. For our taste, the government tends to have the best land for camping and provides the spacing that lets us appreciate it. We move 2 or 3 hours every day or two as we travel and sightsee and are always ready to dry camp. Conveniences like freeway access, 30 amp power, and hookups are low priority for us. I can understand why other people choose other ways of camping. We are retired folks whose goal is to see America up close and our camping style suits us.

We can't count the number of times we've gotten off an interstate and passed a full KOA built on a gravel parking lot then driven 20 or 30 minutes to a place of amazing beauty with few other campers. Here is a pic taken from the rear hatch of our trailer at just such a place... Firehole Canyon Campground in the Ashley National Forset, WY...

Views:	224
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	254981

We use AllStays, ReserveAmerica.com, Recreation.gov and I always check google maps using the satellite view (which AllStays also has) to understand what the campground and individual campsites are like. Most of those tools (except recreation.gov) are as effective for finding commercial campsites as for our preferred types. AllStays also shows walmarts and other free options.

So... Get out there in your good looking Airstream. Sample the alternatives and find what suits your tastes and needs.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote