Old 01-03-2016, 10:18 AM   #29
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
RVParky and Allstays are the apps we use to find an overnight. In addition, www.harvesthosts.com membership is worth the cost. Many farms, produce operations, wineries, museums and retail outlets offer free, overnight dry camping to members. You will often be the only ones around after hours in settings which are safe, secure, and sometimes remote. A California winery we stayed at had the RV spots graded, leveled, and in the middle of the 4300 acre ranch. Stars in a dark sky, coyotes, and solitude gave us the best nights sleep in a long time!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
TVKetchum

2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:32 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
So far in 5 1/2 years of RV trailer towing we have only stayed at privately owned RV parks, state parks, corps of engineers parks, forest service parks, and event venues.
Who knows what the future holds?

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:08 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hanalei, /Chino Valley , Hawaii / Arizona
Sometimes in the open western states it's so far between areas with parks or commercial R V places you have to really shorten you day on the road or push too long to make it to these facilities.

While traveling west On route 60 in N M. I found that there were very wide pullout areas with Trees there to separate you from the road.
As it was getting late I saw one too late as I passed it. Dang that would have been nice I was muttering to myself as I continued. Only to find another similar pull out not too far along the way.

The pull out must have been 300+ yards long. Quite wide and had trees spaced so you could park away from the roadside with the trees between you and the road. The proved to be a very comfortable night. Big night sky, very little trafic going by, quite peaceful. I saw a few similar spots along the way as I continued in the morning. Way to go N M.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	255088  
Old 01-04-2016, 12:43 PM   #32
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
One option that hasn't been mentioned in this thread— church parking lots. A former coworker of mine— now sadly deceased— always used to stop in a church parking lot for an overnight stay while en route to his destination. Quieter than a Walmart, usually in a nicer neighborhood, and he was never turned away regardless of the denomination of the church. Some of them even allowed him to hook up to 15amp and municipal water. All he had to do was make sure he wasn't in the way of parking for regular services, weddings, or funerals.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:33 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigfoot View Post
A lot of you recommend Allstays App....which I've just downloaded to my iPhone.

Was wondering which Trip Planner you'd recommend? Thanks.

I use inRoute. Quite a comprehensive planner. Set waypoints, stopovers. View projected progress with weather, elevation, curviness etc.

Our travel apps: inRoute for drive planning, Allstays for campsites, Trip Advisor for dining and Storm (by Weather Underground) for weather forecasts and alerts.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:33 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
TomTom App & Allstays App for my iPhone is what I use most often for planning and navigating.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 01-06-2016, 08:10 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I second church parking lots and harvesthosts.com. Both excellent options.

I also find that once away from the main highways finding a place to stay the night is a simple as asking a local.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:03 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigfoot View Post
A lot of you recommend Allstays App....which I've just downloaded to my iPhone.

Was wondering which Trip Planner you'd recommend? Thanks.

For trip planning on longer cross country trips, I have been in the Habit of doing the overall route planning myself rather than letting "Mrs Garmin" do it for me!

I decide on the route, then pick a few intermediate key points - cities etc - along the way in sequence.

Then as we travel, I tell the GPS to take us to the first in line - then, as we get closer to that point, I switch to the next one in line and so forth.

The reason I switch early is just to avoid the GPS from taking me to the intermediate city centres which in many cases would not be the thing to do and would waste time.

May be a little weird, but this method seems to serve me well!

If I am planning overnight stops at Flying J, I include them in my planning list of intermediate points.

If the FJ is one we have not used before, I use google satellite view to make sure the FJ has a decent amount of RV parking spots.

Most do, but we have found a couple that do not. One in fact, (might have been Abilene or Albuquerque, I'm not sure) had very limited automobile parking end even had signs "No RV's" and from what I have always understood the 18 wheelers do not appreciate you parking in their section - I've never risked trying it!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:08 AM   #37
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Join Escapees Club, get into the Days End list for free and low cost parking. Excludes stores' parking lots, but lists over 800 pages of BLM, Forest lands, city parks, and courtesy parking spaces.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:42 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Caldwell , Idaho
When we are traveling I try not to stay in towns/cities I like to stay out in the country, we carry Gazetteers for the states we are in. We look at the distance we feel we can make and then check for interesting places and stop there, some times we end up in very cool places sometime it maybe a gravel pit or other wide spot along the hi-way. We will stop early enough some times to walk down forest service dirt roads and find a nice stopping point, when we stop on a side road (dirt) we walk till we find a spot big enough to turn around before we pull in, we have had a couple of very interesting miscues and had to back out a ways. Remember sometimes it's the journey not the destination that gives the stories to tell. Travel safe Ron
Old 01-08-2016, 08:12 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Kat View Post
When we are traveling I try not to stay in towns/cities I like to stay out in the country, we carry Gazetteers for the states we are in. We look at the distance we feel we can make and then check for interesting places and stop there, some times we end up in very cool places sometime it maybe a gravel pit or other wide spot along the hi-way. We will stop early enough some times to walk down forest service dirt roads and find a nice stopping point, when we stop on a side road (dirt) we walk till we find a spot big enough to turn around before we pull in, we have had a couple of very interesting miscues and had to back out a ways. Remember sometimes it's the journey not the destination that gives the stories to tell. Travel safe Ron
I admire you, and that certainly sounds more adventurous and fun, but I'd feel pretty nervous stopping alone in out of way spots like that - maybe I'm overly
paranoid - maybe I've watched too many horror movies?!

Or maybe it is because I feel that since we have Ontario plates on the trailer we are advertising that we likely have no firearms, and to that extent are ripe for picking. (although we do carry "other things!"

I don't know if it is really true or not, and obviously there are no guarantees, but my feeling is that we are safer where there is a fair amount of activity and other RVs around us, such as at a FJ.

But we do try to aim for FJ's that are out in the country rather than ones near larger cities - they usually have larger carparks - presumably due to lower real estate values and ( possibly) less unsavoury characters hanging around!

That's the plan anyway!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:30 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Classic
Covington , Louisiana
I know it's expensive but does anyone stay at the Hampton Inn or similar roadside hotel for the evening on long journeys?
Old 01-16-2016, 02:51 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Never.
Defeats the point of having a trailer...

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:01 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Classic
Covington , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Never.
Defeats the point of having a trailer...

I totally agree with you in safe areas or once you've reached your travel destination. But during the journey and in remote areas, safety is a concern when traveling with only your spouse (and loaded Smith and Wesson of course). It only takes one overnight parking mistake for something serious to go wrong. (I know it can happen anywhere!) I haven't done it but wonder if others have. I'll bet others with similar concerns have done so at times. If so, I would like to hear from them.