Madison , South Dakota
Allstays. App.

Compendium. Web site.

Photobum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:31 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
We prefer to stay in commercial RV parks, but find the cost a bit daunting. Consequently, when possible we stay at Passport America parks. At half price, they make a reasonable alternative and have taken us to some interesting parks. On our East coast trip, we were late to start and therefore late to our first night destination. Not wanting to spend a lot of coin for a short night, we pulled into the Walmart and had a great night. On the other side of town was a PA Park that we missed in our research. We stayed there on the way home and found it to be one of the best on our trip. But take care, we stayed in a PA park on one of our shakedown trips and found it beautiful with respect to amenities, but horribly noisy.

The Cracker Barrel may be a great solution. We stayed at one that was in a strip mall area which felt safe and worked well. We love their breakfast and wish we had them here in California. But we gave one a pass that was located in a dark commercial location. Basic rule for any site, even an expensive commercial park is simple - if you feel unsafe, leave.

Rest areas are not all created equal. We have found the car side to be a better solution that the truck side. In most cases, the trucks need every available space so giving them a break seems to be a good practice.

We do not like truck stops, but that may change over time. As with rest areas, they are not all equal. The one common denominator is that they and the commercial parks close to the highway are all noisy.

We have tried a few state parks. They generally do not have full hook up. They do seem to be a more natural environment. Our experience is that hookups are expensive and dry camping is a better value.

KOAs seem to be quite expensive, but a site with elect and water is less expensive and you can dump when you leave. Sometimes they are best solution.

There is also courtesy parking if you are a WBCCI member. It is a list of folks who have a pad or driveway that they allow you to use for an overnight stay. We have no experience as we can not provide the same courtesy in return. May be worth investigating.

And if you are anywhere near Jackson Center Ohio, the Factory is a must do destination. The $10 a night is a real value and the factory tour is worth your time.

Good luck with your travels. Pat
PKI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:38 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Palestine , Texas
I use Allstays frequently, but I was told there is a fee to have your park listed with them. I often find RV parks not listed with Alstays, using Google on my phone and just search for parks near the nearest town. Found a very nice one outside Alexandria, La. that way recently. If the weather is nice and we are passing through, I look for a 24 hr. Walmart (save $$). Never had a problem there, but we are usually inside after dark. I'm not a cheapskate, but I do admit to being a tightwad. 😀
Will ~ "Blue Skies"
WBCCI #31443

"Don't follow me.
I've spent my life leading folks astray."
Will_Brule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:48 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Center Moriches , New York
If I just need a night's sleep, I'll hit a Walmart, Cracker Barrel, Cabelas, highway rest area, truck stop etc. I have the "AllStays Camp & RV" App on my iPhone. LOTS of good and useful information there and, it was a one time cost of $5 ~ $7. If I have WiFi available, I'll use Allstays on my iPad; the bigger screen is much appreciated by my aging eyes!
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:57 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Like others have said/implied there are lots of options and each of us eventually finds the one that best suits us.

For my wife and me, our trips are generally planned and frequently long (our next one is 6,000 miles over 8 weeks). We choose not to stay at Walmart, flying j or commercial rv parks. Our strong preference is for state, county or national parks. The beauty of Airstreaming for us is that we can go to and stay at places that people without an rv can't access easily. For our taste, the government tends to have the best land for camping and provides the spacing that lets us appreciate it. We move 2 or 3 hours every day or two as we travel and sightsee and are always ready to dry camp. Conveniences like freeway access, 30 amp power, and hookups are low priority for us. I can understand why other people choose other ways of camping. We are retired folks whose goal is to see America up close and our camping style suits us.

We can't count the number of times we've gotten off an interstate and passed a full KOA built on a gravel parking lot then driven 20 or 30 minutes to a place of amazing beauty with few other campers. Here is a pic taken from the rear hatch of our trailer at just such a place... Firehole Canyon Campground in the Ashley National Forset, WY...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	254981

We use AllStays,, and I always check google maps using the satellite view (which AllStays also has) to understand what the campground and individual campsites are like. Most of those tools (except are as effective for finding commercial campsites as for our preferred types. AllStays also shows walmarts and other free options.

So... Get out there in your good looking Airstream. Sample the alternatives and find what suits your tastes and needs.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:41 PM   #21
Rivet Master
1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
I noted that many Walmarts now have signs prohibiting o'nite stays for both trucks and RV's. If I were looking for a stay the signs would at least save the time to go in and ask. I'm like most, I prefer the campsite over parking, but we did that years ago at a Cracker Barrel. Got woken up at 6 AM when contractors started to arrive for breakfast!
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:22 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member
1965 26' Overlander
1972 21' Globetrotter
Arlington , Tennessee
Elk City OK has 5 spots at their city park. I think they are free. 30 amp and water.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Cottonboll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:26 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
A lot depends on ambient temperature too. If running the AC is a requirement walmart just won't do.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:05 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member
2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
A lot of you recommend Allstays App....which I've just downloaded to my iPhone.

Was wondering which Trip Planner you'd recommend? Thanks.
LilBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:35 PM   #25
2006 19' International CCD
Denville , New Jersey
Ohio turnpike, pa turnpike, cracker barrel, late in early out, lock the door, pull th shades,
2006 Bambi CCD ("EireStream!!")
2010 Funfinder
2005 T@B
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:10 PM   #26
TAC CA-420
Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Interstate rest area (noisy, unsafe) only if nothing else
Not trying to pick a fight, but I gotta say... Maybe roadside safety rest stops are nicer out west than what you're accustomed to. We have favorites for sleeping -- obviously it's not camping -- that are far enough off the highway to not be noisy, and always without incident. Doggone handy, too.
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:59 PM   #27
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Originally Posted by '55 Airlight View Post
Not trying to pick a fight, but I gotta say... Maybe roadside safety rest stops are nicer out west than what you're accustomed to. We have favorites for sleeping -- obviously it's not camping -- that are far enough off the highway to not be noisy, and always without incident. Doggone handy, too.
No problem. We spend our winters Out West and are there right now, lived many years in Calif.

You are probably right in your area. We traveled the coast highway a few years ago and it was very hard to find an overnight, everything full. We did pull off in a beach parking lot on the central coast, foggy and no one knew were there. It was great.

But traveling cross country on the interstates the rest areas where trailers must park are full of semi's, engines running, coming and going all night. The other side parking is the best and worst of people, whoever might pull in, friendly or desperate.
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:53 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member
2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
We like State and National Parks. Some Counties have nice parks and Corp of Eng. Parks are the best. Two good sites are and You can also go to Google Maps and find where you want to stop and ask for Campgrounds.

I usually find all my places to stay and make reservations before we leave home.

larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote