Old 08-02-2006, 03:05 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic Slideout
College Town USA , Virginia
Peter & Sharon,
We can identify with most of your bullet points; however, we seem to find more reasons now that we've been doing it for a while.
It's great to spend time planning to see more of our own great country by Airstream and then getting started with the plan. What a country!

In dog years, I'm dead!
ZoominC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 04:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
For me, it seems so much nicer to say to friends "Well, I'm in the Airstream again!" rather than "I'm in the doghouse again!" Seriously, I tent camped for 30 years while deer hunting and I got tired of using pots/pans to collect water when the tent leaked during a heavy rain storm. I eventually got a high end tent but my movement was always curtailed, especially when it was raining outside. While my cot was comfortable with a Thermarest mattress and warm sleeping bag, I wanted a more controlled environment with room to spare. I also had visions of traveling to areas of the state and out of state to fish/hunt/canoe/kayak without the added expense of motels.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Home sweet home

My wife said I got our MH just so I would have another project to work (four years later) I think she is right.

I really just got tired of the leaky pop-up and how long it took to set up camp with the two kids in tow.

After our first outing, Mom & the kids vacate the campsite for a walk (after a long drive) and Dad sets up camp w/ an icy cold beverage or two...

Who knew you needed so much stuff just to get away from it all.
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
As a child we toured through out North America, first staying in motels but evolving to tent and then trailers as the family grew and the trip lengths expanded and money became tighter to shelter and feed so many. And we've never quit camping, and so when my wife and I would think of going on holiday it is 99 times out of a 100 where we would go camping. We do live in a fantastic part of the world (first just east of the Rockies for 39 years and now on the other side, on the edge of the ocean) and there is so much beauty around us we just love to take it all in. As for why an Airstream - when you love to build and drive vintage and classic cars there's only one trailer that comes to mind, Airstream, and the fact that they are outstanding trailers and are built for people on the move is a bonus.
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:58 PM   #19
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
I love this thread. Great article and very interesting to read everyone's reasons for "getting in".

We wanted a less expensive and more flexible way to visit family back east. What was originally intended as a mobile summer cottage turned into a way to connect and spent time with our children (before they don't want to anymore), a base of operations for mtn biking trips with friends, a hobby, a project that eases my work life, a conversation starter, and a dream of traveling the country as a family. Corny - I know - but I'm a corny guy.

I work in the RV industry (not at a dealerships or manufacturer but in and around those businesses) so I'm alway happy to read the business is good. I will always remember tent camping as a kid each summer with my parents and sister as some of the best times of my childhood. I love RVs. I eat sleep and dream them. My wife jokes with me that when I'm not working in the RV business, or working on our RV, or talkng to people about RVing we go RVing.

Is there a program for people like me?
Steven Webster
1986 Airstream 345 Classic Motorhome
AIR 1760
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:01 PM   #20
Rivet Master
1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
So why? Well, ya'll . . .

I'm not RV'ing just because it is an RV, but because it is an Airstream. I have several reasons:
  • I have ALWAYS wanted an Airstream since I was a kid, and now I have one.
  • I like things of quality, well-made, that stand the test of time. Plus the nostalgia factor, that's why I wanted vintage.
  • This is camping that my little old mother is amenable to. It gives me a way to get her outside her house and keep her active. She has fond memories of friends with Airstreams when she was younger and she has always enjoyed a good road trip.
  • I too am tired of sleeping on the ground in inclement weather. After years of tents and backpacking (which I still don't mind doing) I wanted another option that was still portable, in a manner of speaking, but more comfortable with some amenities.
  • I can take the dogs if I want too.
  • I am active with a search and rescue group (Tennessee Search and Rescue Dog Association). My Airstream offers our group flexibility and organization when we are deployed on extended searches. It is self-contained. It will double as an incident command post, a shelter and rehab area between operational periods, and I won't have to worry about good housing for my K9.
  • Its just plain fun!
The unexpected bonuses include learning how to do something Iíve never done before. I'm finding that the care and feeding of a vintage Airstream is a sport unto itself, albeit a potential money pit! Plus, Iím meeting some of the nicest people!
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:40 PM   #21
Rivet Master
2007 30' Classic
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Parallel Universe...

I should tell you that I have that I have a complete outfit for more primitive camping that I use in the back country where you can't drag an Airstream. It includes an outfitters tent, zero degree sleeping bags, wood stove, rustic kitchen, the works. I love both approaches to camping. The common denominator is going to beautiful places with interesting people who enjoy good food and a glass of "Two Buck Chuck" with the grilled tenderloin in the evening.
Ken L
2007 Classic Limited 30 (Sold)
2007Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654, Affiliate NM Unit
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:41 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Originally Posted by klevan
And since I really don't believe that man is the cause of climate change, and since the Saudis say the have enough oil to meet the needs of the United States for the next 200 years, I intend to burn every drop I can pulling that Airstream every chance I get. (This should liven things up a bit)
When I was a child, the population of the U.S. was 165,000,000. Now it's almost 300,000,000. I think we may be TOO successful as a species.

But, I fulltime, so the gas I spend is offset by the small footprint I have for heating and air conditioning. I get sick when I think what my monthly electric bill used to be to air condition a 3,150 sq ft house.

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 04:12 AM   #23
Rivet Master
Originally Posted by MarkR
I just needed a way to launder the money that was in my safe.
Wonderful, Mark. A bucketful of karma is on its way to you.
Nick Crowhurst, Excella 25 1988, Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel. England in summer, USA in winter.
"The price of freedom is eternal maintenance."
nickcrowhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:22 AM   #24
Rivet Master
1990 25' Airstream 250
Bluffton , South Carolina
I worked in "Startup" at power plants across the country and most had RV parks near by for the workers. My RV became my home way from home. After I retired, I full timed several years and my travel pardener (a golden retriver) enjoy the life style. We tend to stay at Military Base or Federal campgounds. Today we have a home base at Salt Springs Florida on Lake Kerr and are busy planning our fall foliage trip.
Pop Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:15 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member
2006 Safari SE
Everson , Washington
Family Morals? Bizarre, can't imagine what this is about in regard to camping.
We like to camp enjoy nature and will not use hook ups if there is a choice.
pagoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:41 AM   #26
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan
2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I'm 45 and my wife is 42. We have two young boys (6 & 9) and wanted to be able to take short weekend trips to get away with the family. We thought of a lake house, but decided that would be the same old place every time and we would get board. This way, we have a second home at the lake, beach, and mountains...anywhere we want.

Why Airstream? Quality and durability first and classic style second. Like a Harley, it is an American icon.
2006 30' Safari - "Changes in Latitudes"
2008 F-250 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab SWB
Family of Disney Fanatics
WBCCI# 4821
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 05:43 PM   #27
Rivet Master
1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Originally Posted by AirstreamFan
I bought my Airstream in 2004 at the ripe old age of 32. I grew up camping in a tent trailer, and my grandparents had a 77 Excella that I thought was SO cool. I guess I fit into the "fastest growing category" of Gen X'ers referred to in the article.
Sounds familiar. I bought my B190 last year, at age 30. My parents have had all sorts of travel trailers ranging from pop-ups to their current 34' Airstream. I spent a LOT of time in trailers growing up.

Why? Because I love camping - it's a great way to travel without the hassle of flying. You meet interesting people, and people in campgrounds tend to be very friendly. Plus I can take my cat Snowball with me, and he loves it. (I don't like kenneling him, and he can't stay at home like most cats due to a food issue.)

I bought a motorhome because (a) I don't have a vehicle to tow with, and (b) I knew I'd want to take a car with me to various car-related events, and (c) I'm not sure how I'd handle the air conditioning in a trailer on the road (for the cat). So, a motorhome was the way to go for me.

Now I just need to find a 30-something single woman to camp with.
1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 06:24 PM   #28
Rivet Master
1968 26' Overlander
1967 26' Overlander
Lisle , Illinois
Yucky hotels..
Too much money for them.....
Hanging with the family (values can be passed on when you are together)
Showing the kids parts of the country that they would not normaly see.
Too cool to pass up.

Tedd Ill
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote