Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2009, 09:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Bob, how is the electronic world these days in Alaska and the Alaska Hwy in Canada?

A weak apology for hijacking.
Gene, apology accepted. To keep it on topic I'll say that Google Street View picked up my Argosy about 12 1/2 months ago. But y'all would have been hard pressed to see this sad baby on the road.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Argosy.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	84893

Gene, opting for one of the most uncomfortable 757 seats possible, I didn't take the Airstream to Alaska. We had 3 bars of Verizon cell reception in little Cooper Landing but a friend's Alaska provider had no reception there. Your results may vary. And the second sockeye run was pretty light.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:50 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Austin , Texas
I just got back from a week long road trip pulling the Bambi. Went out through New Mexico from Central Texas. Stopped at the New Mexico welcome center just north of El Paso on I25, while there a 25 footer pulled up next to me. I had a brief conversation with a guy from Washington State. He had just purchased the AS in Texas and was heading to Washington State. I pulled out and headed on up into Durango Silverton area. After a few days of camping and not seeing any other Airstream, I headed on over to Mesa Verde, I spotted 4 units leaving Mesa Verda. I though to my self I must have missed a convention. Checked in and went to my camp site. I spotted the Washington State guy and his AS. He was the only AS owner I spoked with on the whole trip, and It was like we were following each other..
c177tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:15 AM   #23
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I see one every time I go out...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1901.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	320.3 KB
ID:	84912
It keeps following me.
There will be a fairly large batch in Central New York this weekend and another bunch up in Saratoga Springs New York the following weekend.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:56 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Ruther Glen , Virginia
Here in VA I see them on 95 heading north and south but yet to see at any at the State Parks or Private Campgrounds where we stay. We were supposed to go this past weekend to Westmorland State PArk and couldnt due to family health issues, and the couple we were supposed to meet said there were 2 other AS's besides them.
We also stay around the Northern Neck alot in the summer months, maybe we need to get all of us Va people together here at the Forum and pick a place to meet one weekend before summer is out.
Dave
Old 08-04-2009, 11:34 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Daphne , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Safari65 View Post
Well, Flynaxos... hopefully you'll see our Safari at Kiptopeake SP this fall.
Kiptopeake State Park is a wonderful state park located on the Eastern Shore, just a few miles north of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. we have stayed there several times and have yet to see another Airstream. In fact, I don't think we have ever seen another Airstream on the Eastern Shore.

Great waterfront on Chesapeake Bay with two beaches, one of which is dog-friendly. That's a big plus for us and for George the water dog, our 90 pound Yellow Lab!
flynaxos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
In the 250 miles of our homeward bound trip this past weekend which included a stop-over at Milan,Michigan,at KC Campground for the Detriot Metro Rally at which we had a wonderful time. We only saw 1 AS going north below Ann Arbor,Mich. Lots and Lots of SOB's.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
1 Silver to 150 White

I have stayed at three campgrounds in PA this summer so far and will be hitting another one in a couple weeks. But thus far:

Woodward Cave Campground in Woodward PA: My Avion 34X, one Airstream 25 footer from the '70s that is left there year round, one Argosy that I'd guess is about a 23 footer left there year round

Lickdale Campground in Lickdale PA: One Airstream 28 footer and my 34X Avion

Heritage Cove Campground on Raystown Lake, PA: One Airstream 34 Excella and my Avion 34X

There ain't much silver out there gang....but a sea of white.

Rejoice in the uniqueness of silver

See ya on the road,
Old 08-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Caravanner
Arvada , Colorado
Form Denver to Maryland and back as we drug ours, we saw exactly five on the road...and maybe another dozen parked.

On a trip to Grand Lake Colorado for the 4th of July we saw Zero.

As we head to Laramie for a Rally I hope the 65+ we see will make up for the rest of the summer.
jenner 515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:52 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
Last summer as we traveled through six states and spent thirty nights on the road, we saw one other AS on the road - never in any CG. A couple weekends ago, we headed for a small campground for a long weekend here in Ohio, pulling our International and, lo and behold, two other Internationals were in that park! Three of us in the same park - not planned, and noone knowing the other. Couldn't wait to go visit them the next morning but they had both pulled out before breakfast. So, I learned nothing about them but I'm still amazed to have seen two others and both Internationals - a very rare happening.

We spent about ten nights in Virginia last summer - Aquia Pines area and then Misty Mountian, outside Charlottesville. We saw a single AS traveling soutn on I 95 - and one in one of the campgrounds. Nobody in the one we saw in the cg so we learned nothing about it or them.

It is very rare to see ASs on the the road - keep looking and we will too. Maybe, one of these days, we'll end up in the same place.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:20 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Daphne , Alabama
Misty Mountain

Hi Pilgrim,

We live about 10 miles from Misty Mountain in Charlottesville.

Send me a message next time you're in the area and we'll get together.

Best,
Jim
flynaxos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:40 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynaxos View Post
This summer my wife and I have made several treks to Virgina's Eastern Shore and the Northern Neck (the area between the Potomac and Rappohannock Rivers)

We have stayed in several campgrounds and visited others in this area. It amazes me that we hardly ever see any other Airstreams.

Both Grey's Point and Bethpage campgrounds each had over 200 campers and no Airstreams! We have visited several Virginia state parks and other campgrounds and very rarely see another Airstream.

Back In March we stayed in a Georgia state park and saw two others, the most we have seen in our 15 years of weekend and vacation Airstreaming

Is this typical? Where is everybody? Or am I just picking the wrong places?
there all parked in the driveway being worked on as a hobby.
not for camping. just something to pass the time.
in the last 20 yrs of camping i might of seen a half dozen.
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:35 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Madison , Wisconsin
We just returned to Madison, WI from 1,100-mile (one-way) trip to New Iberia, Louisiana (heart of Cajun country) to pick up our 2005 19-foot Bambi. Saw 4 Airstreams on way down and 3 on way back. Only camped two nights on way back. Were unique in each campground. But kids would bicycle up to take a look and say "cool!" Even the toll taker in N. Illinois said, "Nice Airstream." I don't mind the exclusivity factor. I am learning that these things have a premium price but would not consider any other make. Other makes just look trashy, to me. There's a Bambi in New York's Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art. For good reason. It's sitting in my driveway now. I just love looking at it.
David Blaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #33
Plays with old toys

1979 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Toronto , Ontario
Mindshare vs Marketshare

"Airstream commands about 1 percent of the travel trailer market, less so in motor homes, but it has about 50 percent of the mind-share or brand-share in the industry because of who Airstream is," said Dicky Riegel, the company's chief executive since May 2002. "It's an authentic American product."

Airstream trailers: icons built to last Ohio's Signature Companies

It's an event for us too whenever and wherever we see one, and that's part of the charm.... even after 70 years of the same basic design. I'd be happier to see more of them though! We're "the Airstream couple" at our campground since we have the only AS ever seen here and yes, hard to believe there are many who still don't know what an Airstream is, but even they know they're different... and special.

For the most part, I enjoy "what it is" more than value being unique or exclusive. I'll admit we were already used to it even before we got our AS, though. Over the past 10 years we've road-tripped extensively in our '65 Sting Ray convertible and rarely do we see another midyear Corvette on the road. It's an expected delight to see others at car shows like Corvettes at Carlisle, but it's also great fun to enjoy spontaneous smiles and suprise from other folks when we're just "passing through." Sometimes, over longer trips we actually forget what we're in, just enjoying the moment, then somebody yells or waves with big approving smiles and reminds us how special these icons are to so many.

Jennie and I weren't thinking it would happen all over again, but we saw the same response on the way back from Florida with our '79 AS and the bright old orange and white '75 Chevy pickup truck we hauled her with. Part of the great vintage fun are the many memories people share with us with their experiences too. We live (relive?) those warm memories of yesteryear.

We hope to attend an AS rally someday to enjoy other folks "icons", just like we do every year at Carlisle, although there it's easier for us to bring our own car than the trailer.

So maybe ours is the same reason we all don't see more AS on the open road. Maybe we're too comfortable to have it all set up at a seaonal site than hitch up, pay add'l gas and haul it around someplace new. This fall, our next southwest tour will once again be in the Corvette. While we'd love to have our AS at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta and so many other places, we've decided to also camp a little with small backpack gear in the 'vette so it's an easier compromise.

If only we could take it all, right!?!
'75 Chevy Silverado, '65 Chevy Sting Ray Convertible
Click for Photo album
pauluptime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Minnetonka , Minnesota
grand marais

Were up in Grand Marias, MN. Saw an older classic and Excella and two excellas that seem to be more permanent fixtures that were unoccupied. Saw two on our way up from the twin cities. Were headed to schroeder next, will see if the old 5th wheel is still there. ha.
Randjg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Crosby , Texas
We just finished an 11 state trip through Ark,Mo. Ill,Ind, Ky, Ten, Go, Fl.Al, Miss.Lo. Tx. Had one Airstream in the park at Montian View, Ark. and saw a couple while going to St.Louis but that was it. But the cool thing is that ever where we went poeple would ask us about our 1975 Airstream. The second most asked question was how I like my Hensly Arrow and does it really work as they say it does. The answers were yes I like it very much and yes it works as they say it does. Yes there are alot of Airsterams in Texas and if you want the see alot of them at one time in one place come join us at Conroe Texas the first weekend in Feb, for the Texas Ventage Ralley. Last year we had around 40 Ventage unit and some where around another 80 to 100 unit present. So if you want to see Airstream trailers Texas in Feburary is the place to be.
dghaas is offline   Reply With Quote