Old 06-22-2013, 06:31 AM   #15
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Insulin has to be refrigerated, and I don't leave the fridge in my Airstream turned on 24/7/365. So my meds are something I have to load for each trip, same as the refrigerated/frozen food.

But I do keep chairs in my Airstream. And bedding and towels. And a week's worth of clothes. And a week's worth of non-perishable food. And cookware. All part of my hurricane bug-out kit as well as my camping kit.
This is the way I grew up learning to use a TT. Grandparents were fulltimers half the year or more and parents did the same then and later (even without the threat of wildfire or hurricane). Living on the Gulf Coast gives me that much more impetus to see to copies, spares, etc. As a fullltimer the spares can be between the TV and TT, now.

As to buying on the road what we've left behind, we've all done it. I have a "trunk" on the new TT and the door is sprung. Can't get to the 30-50A dogbone. Bought a new one yesterday as the other is "left behind" until that door can be rebuilt/repaired.

A TT as nice as these can be kept a quarter-century or more. Thus, no furnishings should be of low quality as one might do with an SOB that will be traded in five years. If the temporary item is "cheap" there is always someone to whom I may donate it. I may dislike buying something two-three times (have done that), but someone, somewhere can use it. Even if I give it to a park manager that he may have need of it for another customer.

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have forgotten socks of the right color, matching shoes, etc. so therefore walk around all mis-matched. I lived through it.

2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I have forgotten socks of the right color, matching shoes, etc. so therefore walk around all mis-matched. I lived through it.
Your story reminds me; Three years ago I left on a trip for a couple months without any shoes except the pair I had on. That's a real problem for me! Since I wear a size 15, it is almost impossible for me to find shoes in a store. I looked in every town we went to, but found nothing in my size. So, I went on the two month trip with one pair of shoes and one pair of to short size 13 sandals from wally world, hanging 10 the whole time.
2014 Silverado 1500 5.3L maximum trailering package (yes, I'm towing the 34')
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Just to make it interesting - we packed up to head home today and I tried to do everything by memory. Amazingly, it took about an hour - that's the fastest we've packed up so far (not that it's a race but it felt so efficient). Just to be sure, I went to the truck to get my notebook with all my trailer notes (scale tickets, checklists, etc) and went through our list and was glad I did. I forgot to put the TV antenna down so we did that - and that was all we missed!

So we pack up the dog, pulled away and remembered (so proud of myself) to get the last 2 Lego blocks we had used for levelers, packed them up and hit the road. As we were about 10 miles away from the camp my wife was talking about how efficient this one was and I mentioned how we had done it almost completely from memory without the checklist.

At which point we both realized, I had left my checklist/notebook on the picnic table at our site!

It was there when we returned. But on the way back to pick it up, my wife coined a new phrase, "clown camping".

SteveSueMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #19
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Once we didn't bring enough toilet paper.

We weren't close to a store and hadn't planned on leaving our site for a while.

We handled it (thankfully) by having a package of baby-wipes on board and some paper towels.

Just wondering how the forgotten child handled the experience, psychologically....
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #20
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
So far, the only thing we forgot was both water hoses; we weren't near a Walmart, or anything else for that matter, so we just half-boondocked. I was carrying buckets of water from the spigot (no Jerry jugs either) to flush the toilet and doing all my dishes outside, when lo and behold, we discovered that there was a little leftover water in the freshwater tank, enough to get us through the rest of the long weekend. Problem solved, but we felt kind of stupid ... !

Carol, Aboard "Aggie the DreamStream"
WBCCI# 5248
Rollster is online now   Reply With Quote