Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...

Old 03-08-2015, 09:45 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Originally Posted by KiraR View Post
Here's a really dumb sounding follow up question to my original: Please bear with me. I'm new at all this and I can't wait to be a veteran and pay it forward!

If I'm traveling to an area where campgrounds are not yet open....where do A/S'ers park in that case? Obviously, if I can park at a friend's house, that's easy. But, if I don't know anyone....then what? (and if there is no Walmart around)

Hello there fellow Connecticutter! (Connecticite?) - traveler from CT!

Not dumb at all!

Are you a WBCCI member? If so, you have access to Courtesy Parking all around the country. When fellow WBCCI members have the space and are willing, they welcome parking on their property for free (though I would imagine a token gift wouldn't be inappropriate). I haven't taken advantage of this yet but fully plan to do so when able to do what you're about to do.

There are some threads here about courtesy parking and WBCCI membership.

I'm a WBCCI member through the New England Unit. You can visit newengland.wbcci.net to learn more about it there or go to WBCCI.org

Good luck and have a great trip!!

SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:22 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Somehow I got the impression that your AS was 25'. Our AS is 29' (ball to bumper) and we have had little problem towing into areas that see few RVs. You will have to gain some experience before you will feel confident in your ability to boondock but I would recommend that you give it a try.
Staying in an area where there is no one else will be an exceptional experience. If you are going to stay in a National Park call them and ask what the maximum trailer length is for their camp sites. Some of the National Parks even have full hookups.

Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:17 PM   #17
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by Eagle & Bear View Post
You will have to gain some experience before you will feel confident in your ability to boondock but I would recommend that you give it a try.
You can gain experience boondocking before going to the boondocks. Go to a regular campground, and simply don't use the hookups. That gives you a safety net while in your learning curve, since if you misjudge how long your batteries will last or how much fresh water you use, the hookups will be right there and your mistake won't spoil your trip.

Once you've gained some experience and confidence boondocking in a campground, then you can try boondocking in the boondocks, secure in the knowledge that you can handle it.

WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote