Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...

Old 07-27-2015, 11:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Best time to visit in California (for most places) is in the Spring. Sometimes along the coast other months are good... The downside is some parks, and camping areas aren't open until after Memorial Day. But if you can visit before school is out, and camps are open... yay!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson!

My blogs: http://yrekahistory.blogspot.com
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:34 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
San Diego , California
Best time to visit coastal Southern California, is the winter. Why? Because the weather is beautiful, and you'll miss the summer fog. You'll also miss the hoards of summer tourists. Of course, the ocean is colder, but, it's always cold, so you probably won't go in anyways! Unless you're a surfer, and then, you'll know to bring your wetsuit, and the waves are better in winter! So, winter it is!

My New Blog Project: http://www.airstreammohoagogo.com/
Instagram: http://instagram.com/airstreamnancy
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:01 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
I have heard of one full-timer retiree whose only plan is to "move toward 70░F." If it's colder than 70░ for more than a few days he packs up his Airstream and moves someplace warmer. If it's warmer than 70░F, he packs up and moves someplace cooler.

As travel plans go, that one's not badů
WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:55 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member
1971 31' Sovereign
Christine , North Dakota
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
We are now camped near Fargo in 90 degree weather with 80% humidity; and there are still occasional severe thunderstorm, damaging hail and tornado warnings nearly every place we stop.
Too bad I didn't see this earlier. I work in Fargo every day M-F. If you have never witnessed the power of a thunderstorm rolling across the plains, they are a site to behold. Growing up, we used to vacation to ND, and it was almost guarenteed that we would experience a thunderstorm. I looked forward to them then, and I look forward to them now.

This picture is looking over my barn toward the SE corner of the state, on this night Wahpeton, ND was getting pummelled by rain, lightening, and strong winds. Which is another thing to remember, just because it isn't rain or hail, doesn't mean you are OK. We get 'straight line winds' here that can reach up to 70mph.

Unfortunately, aluminum dents easily...
We don't want to drive and camp in the northern states in the winter, but this 85-95 degree heat and high humidity seems worse than the 110-115 degree "dry heat" in Arizona. Plus, we aren't used to the hail and tornados, which are rare in the desert southwest.
The humidity does get oppressive, I'm an Oregon native originally from just on the East side of the Coastal Range about 40 miles West of Portland.. Buxton OR, and as much as everybody says the Pacific North West (PNW) is always raining, all I remember is brown lawn. Visiting Oregon is difficult, I like to visit early in the late Spring to early Summer for the best fresh produce selection, but I like late summer (late Aug-Sep for visits to the coast.
So, the big question is: When is the best time to visit MINNESOTA?
I would aim for either spring, May/June or late summer, Aug-Oct. But don't come up this way past Halloween, we here in Fargo are almost guaranteed to have snow before 10-31 every year, and it usually sticks around until mid March through early April. Airstreaming would be ill advised Nov-April 1.

Unless you really like bitter cold and snow, I swear humidity drops to negative percentages.. it is so dry the snow blows like sand to create dunes/drifts.
These are random pics from Winter 2012-Spring 2014

This snow drift is about 5ft high and hard enough that I can walk on it.
While it seems ridiculous to us, we are about ready to crank the air conditioner down to about 65 degrees and unpack our sweaters and sleeping bags, just to be comfortable inside the trailer. However, I'm afraid it might start raining in here!
My house is set at 69f, my office is set at 68f. Both are well in the acceptable temp range; I live on a hobby farm and I am used to being outside in -15f temps to move hay for horses.
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
I've been told that June and Sept are good months for visiting MN. Aug seems to be a little warm(hot) and high humidity in the twin cities area.
Where are you camping near Fargo? I may be up that way in the Fall and will be looking for a place to stay for a couple of nights while traveling.
I'm curious where you stayed also. Since I never had a camper of any kind before July 4th, I will eventually have to start learning my own terrain.

I don't know if there is a recommended website to visit, weather.com is good for current temps/activity.

Earlier this Summer we considered a move to MT and found this
City-Data.com to be a very useful resource. You have to scroll through a lot of demographic information about growth, industry, population, and crime. But keep going, eventually there is a section that has annual temps, wind speed, moisture, and humidity listed per month.

This is the URL for Fargo.
Fargo, ND -- 58102

Safe Travels my friends... hope to see you out there.
phlegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:29 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Bourbon Trail

Being that I also live in KY I feel the best time is during the Bardstown Bourbon festival in September. Well any time would be good because you can tour our great state and partake in the Bourbon trail to visit the distilleries to see how Bourbon is made.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:37 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
And for great leaf color come thru the northern WV mountains later Sept and early Oct. Amazing. Weather is comfortable as well.
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:35 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Orlando , Florida
September is the best month almost everywhere. Too bad there's only one September a year. As for Florida, October through December is usually lovely.
FreshAirStmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:20 AM   #22
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by FreshAirStmr View Post
September is the best month almost everywhere.
Except coastal Louisiana. September is the hottest and most humid month of the year, the most active month for hurricanes and tropical storms (o average), and thus it's a good time to be anywhere else. Here October is the best.

WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote