Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2014, 05:05 PM   #141
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Should have been centered on a boss and wasn't if I remember correctly. It was earlier in the thread. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:25 PM   #142
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Should have been centered on a boss and wasn't if I remember correctly. It was earlier in the thread. Jim
If that is the case we now know why.

it would be interesting to note the degree of rust at the end of each stud. That would give an indication of over what period of time they failed.

It is quite common with steel wheels for studs to Pop off in the dead of winter because the tire shops use air guns and over tighten the wheels when they mount them in the summer. As it gets colder the studs Pop. That should not be a factor on aluminum whels as the material will flow under the increased pressure.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:47 PM   #143
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I did not read the complete tread but am I to believe all 5 studs Sheared off or did the nuts just come loose?

I have seen the nuts loosen on the passenger side. That is why Chrysler used to use left hand threaded lugs on that side of the car.
If I remember right, it was left hand studs on the left side of the car. (drivers side)
Old 06-29-2014, 11:24 AM   #144
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
My boss was sitting right next to me when it happened. I'll blame it on her. That's the last time I let HER tighten the lugs.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:53 PM   #145
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
PostScript. I had to bring in one of our tires for a new valve stem. While there, I asked the manager if he was familiar with tires shearing off, and he told me (fwiw) that 90% of tires falling off is from too much torque applied to the wheels when mounting. By the way, I did have my "flying tire" checked as well and it was good to go, no damage, just replaced the valve stem and had it balanced while I had it there.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:40 PM   #146
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Uh Brad,

Did you read the post just above the last one? Is the Boss standing right behind you with a 12" Lodge skillet?

Ouch, that left a mark.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:40 AM   #147
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank's Trailer Works View Post
Are these too over the top(no pun intended)?
Attachment 212437
My shop did not do these rims even though we did change out the axles.
Attachment 212438
This is a Frank's Trailer Work special. Double silver pinstripes on a black powder coated rim, topped off with a baby moon.
Thanks for your post of those beautiful wheels. They are fantastic.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:55 PM   #148
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Jacob.... thanks for getting this Thread revived! Enjoyed it all.

I have had a torque wrench since the early 1970's. Dial in what torque I wanted and it would 'click'. Used it for putting engines back together. I would have to say it took MORE torque to remove a bolt, than install one. But I know, this is a lug nut thread.

I had a 1965 Corvette. Knock off Mag Wheels with a threaded center spinner. The Corvette came with a short handled brass hammer head and an allen screw to tighten once you 'whacked' the spinner tight... enough.

To remove, loosen the allen screw and use the brass hammer to knock it off and pull the wheel, if needed.

Never lost a spinner, but it sure confused anyone looking for lug nuts. Try figuring out what torque specifications Chevrolet offered for those. No one knew. But of course, it red lined at 6500 RPM and ran out of power around 120mph. I lived to tell the story.

Never had an aluminum manifold come loose with the aluminum snugged up to the iron engine block, either. But the gaskets had better be flat and clean!

Trailer lug nuts. Always preferred to do them myself and never have used the torque wrench which is around here in a nice case. Never lost a wheel, a lug nut. Never had a lug nut go loose on me. When you torque a bolt... it stretches. Stretch it too much, you are drilling a head bolt out and feel the fool for not paying attention to TOO MUCH TORQUE. Tighter does not make the wheel and lug nut kiss one another any better...
Old 06-24-2016, 11:48 PM   #149
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank's Trailer Works View Post
Are these too over the top(no pun intended)?

My shop did not do these rims even though we did change out the axles.

This is a Frank's Trailer Work special. Double silver pinstripes on a black powder coated rim, topped off with a baby moon.
The blue rim DEFINITELY looks nice. Nice blue hue; very popping and eye-catching. That stainless trim ring makes it. It could use at least a standard whitewall or at the very minimum a bit of 303 to the tire, but it looks great.

The black just looks cheap without a trim ring and that filthy tire looks like it came off of a 40's Jeep. No attention to detail at all and no perceptual ability to notice that it looks so dingy. I guess the pinstripe helps, but pinstripes on steel rims painted standard run-of-the-mill-military-vehicle-black seem a bit too "throw-away Wal-Mart trailer rim" to me, not to mention that the baby moon will probably rust right away as it doesn't appear to be stainless steel but chinese chrome. But, I guess that soon-to-be rusty baby moon will match that rotton looking gray old tire which adds to the blackness of the drab style. If that was the intent (it possibly was), then it looks great. Definitely looks like an old-school old trailer wheel.
RareStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:52 AM   #150
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Wow, you really don't like those,, do you? Opinions vary!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote