Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2016, 02:52 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Airstream told me 125ft/lb for the 16' wheels I bought from them.

And thanks Arcticfox for reminding me to buy new lug nuts before I rotate the tires next spring. Got em on ebay for $65 delivered.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:56 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
You guys are getting pretty far along without establishing whether or not the wheels have conical-seat lug nut inserts, or if you should be using mag style shanked nuts.

Just as trailer wheels are not the same as passenger car/truck wheels, lug nuts from Canadian Tire that are made for conical-seat passenger car wheels may not be suitable for your trailer even though they will thread on.

Find out what wheels you have, and get exactly the right kind of lug nuts.
Alumineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:29 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
There is a lot to be said about how wheels fit up to the hub flange and lug nuts!! It is amazing to me how poor the design is on after market wheels and once in a while on factory set ups. I would only use wheels that I am sure will run concentric with the hub. The best fit is when the center hole of the wheel is a good slip fit onto the center shoulder where the bearing cap sits, not all wheels do this. Sometimes the conical holes and angular face of the lug nuts work together to make the wheel run concentric. Sometimes the straight sided shoulders on the nuts run in slots and the bolts are supposed to all work together to center the wheel but unless the wheel is a tight fit onto the center hub they don't necessarily run true. Check out what is it that guarantees that your wheel runs true and make sure that you understand how it works! I only run wheels that fit the center hole on the hub and also use tapered nuts and holes. I also lube the threads and rubbing surfaces of the nuts and torque carefully and I've never had a lug nut come loose and don't wear out the threads. Conventional wisdom says don't lube wheel lug threads because that will let them come loose but that has not been my experience using WD40. I have seen a lot of messed up wheel studs on other peoples wheels. Your mileage may vary. Leland
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:39 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumineer View Post
You guys are getting pretty far along without establishing whether or not the wheels have conical-seat lug nut inserts, or if you should be using mag style shanked nuts.

Just as trailer wheels are not the same as passenger car/truck wheels, lug nuts from Canadian Tire that are made for conical-seat passenger car wheels may not be suitable for your trailer even though they will thread on.

Find out what wheels you have, and get exactly the right kind of lug nuts.

Ok so now I'm at a loss again, Conical-seat lugs or mag style, I have no idea. How does one tell? Here is a link to the wheels I have. Allied wheel #870-66060
http://www.alliedwheel.com/wheel.php?name=Series+870

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 01-03-2016, 09:00 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
Ok so now I'm at a loss again, Conical-seat lugs or mag style, I have no idea. How does one tell? Here is a link to the wheels I have. Allied wheel #870-66060
Allied Wheel Components: Wheel

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
They have a 1-800 number. Call them, send them an email, or both. Calling them insures that they can't ignore you; sending them an email insures that they don't mis-interpret the wheel number you are going to have to give them.
Alumineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:00 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Just to finish off the conversation. I contacted Allied and they have confirmed that my wheels have conical seat. So we should be away with the 64000 lugs.
Thanks everyone for your input

Cheers
Doug
Old 01-04-2016, 08:00 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
Those wheels almost for sure won't be a good fit onto the hub but conical nut seats should line them up OK. On these type of wheels I run 2 lug nuts down finger tight to hold the wheel back to the flange and put on all the lug nuts, then tighten each one a little more with my fingers rotating the tire as I go to let all the nuts center into the tapered holes. I just like my wheels to run concentric with the hubs. I also rinse out the nuts with a good shot of WD40 while holding them over a rag to make sure there is no crud in the threads. I really hate it when I hear an air wrench having to work hard getting a nut all the way off. Leland
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:07 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Thanks for this Leland. I'm going to take the old lugs off tomorrow and install the new ones.
Thanks again

Doug
Old 08-14-2018, 12:38 AM   #29
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Why the AS OEM lug nuts go bad

I have discovered that using a 12 point socket on the lug nuts is a quick way to ruin them. It deforms and the outer cover and it will then spin around the inner nut. If you use a 6 point socket, no problem.

The lug nut is still good after the cover comes off but you will need an 18mm socket to turn it if it was 19 mm (or 3/4 inch) originally with the cover on.

This two piece nut assembly is good in case you have a longer stud, the outer piece will push off and you can still achieve the necessary torque. Some one piece lugs are also made to fail this way if used on a stud that is too long.
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote