Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2015, 10:43 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Wheel chock locks and wheel covers

Please share your opinions and experience about the prudence of wheel chock locks, such as Universal Wheel Chock Lock by Trimax®, Trimax® - Wheel Chock Lock, to discourage theft of your Airstream trailer while you are away from it. Any thoughts about using one on each side, or just one?

I am also curious about your opinions and experience with wheel covers. I can imagine that they may help to protect the tires from deterioration from sun and weather, but also can imagine that during periods of non-use of the trailer, they may encourage rodents to nest under the cover.
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Can not speak about wheel locks. I do use wheel covers. No creatures homesteading so far.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Same here, no wheel locks but we do use the wheel covers. Spiders and wasps seem to like them but, while in storage, no varmints taking up residence. We haven't had our AS out much, mostly in the storage lot. We check on it once a month, move it a little or take it out for a drive to exercise the tires. I don't think there's enough protection for rodents to feel comfortable from predators.

That wheel lock looks like a parking boot used by cities. I wonder how secure it is. It looks like plastic in the photo. I have a twin axle and was thinking about a wire rope between the wheels. It's cheaper. Of course, you don't know how good any product is until you come back one day and either the AS is missing or the product has been attacked.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Wheel lock.... very heavy chain and lock through the wheels....along with an alarm. Of course, if no power is supplied while in storage, the alarm may not be good.

Wheel covers I have no experience with, but I cannot see why simply a tire protection spray would not work about as well.

Another theft deterrent might be a remote camera like for catching animals in the wild. There are cables when cut emit a loud noise as well.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:36 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

MS,

When we had our 22' Safari, (single axle), I did remove the wheels and put it up on stands when we were away for 6 weeks, that and a tongue lock was all I ever use.

Tire protection, this is great UV protection for everything that needs it.....

New packaging I guess

Tires always covered and off the concrete between trips...

And off completely for Winter storage....

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:27 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
Please share your opinions and experience about the prudence of wheel chock locks, such as Universal Wheel Chock Lock by Trimax®, Trimax® - Wheel Chock Lock, to discourage theft of your Airstream trailer while you are away from it. Any thoughts about using one on each side, or just one?
A lock like the Trimax is worthless since it does not cover the lug nuts. A thief would only have to remove the locked tire and put on the spare that you so thoughtfully provided, and away they roll. If you use one, you had BETTER use two. If you have dual axles put them both on the same side to make it easier on yourself; has the same benefit as one on each side.

As for tire covers, how does your spare tire hold up without a cover? Pretty well, right? Same is true for the tires on the ground. You don't really need tire covers. You'd have to replace your tires due to age or tread wear before UV degradation would make you have to replace them.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:37 PM   #7
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Wheel chock locks and wheel covers

We replaced our OEM Airstream lug nuts with nice chrome ones from McGard, including a locking lug nut for each wheel. Makes the wheels a little harder to remove without permission, which might make that wheel lock a little more useful.

We use a California Immobilizer hitch lock and run a heavy padlock through the safety chains so it's less convenient to haul off the trailer if we're not around. Maybe a wheel lock or a heavy cable through the wheels would be a good idea too.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Good point about the spare tire being available, if someone knows enough to find it, get it down and install it to replace one wheel that has a "boot" on it. That is sufficient to warrant putting protection on two wheels, as suggested above. I see the boot or a cable and padlock (good suggestion) as more of a deterrent than absolute theft-proofing, similar to the logic of not leaving keys in a car even though many thieves could hotwire a car so lack of keys was not absolute protection. An Airstream is so valuable and such an easy target for someone with a big pickup or SUV with a trailer hitch to back up and steal that I just think that some effort should be made to discourage bad guys or yahoos from grabbing it like low hanging fruit.

Silvery Moon, is this what you use? Universal Trailer Coupler Locks - California Immobilizer or some other arrangement that involves chains?

This one covers the wheel bolts. Generator Trailer Locks - California Immobilizer

Further thoughts are welcome, on wheel locks and covers, and related ideas. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
And then there is this device, Airstream Trailer Coupler Locks - California Immobilizer, specifically for Airstreams!!!!
Old 01-02-2015, 04:45 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Link to similar thread describing police-style "Denver boot" we use on our Bambi:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ml#post1172288
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:57 AM   #11
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Yes indeed, the Airstream-specific version. We like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
And then there is this device, Airstream Trailer Coupler Locks - California Immobilizer, specifically for Airstreams!!!!
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:12 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Airstreams are bigger so this may not apply. Years ago, mid 90s, I read in Bassmaster magazine where a guy had just purchased a brand new Ranger bass boat, took it home and parked it. He put a lock on the hitch and went inside to get a camera.

He came out just in time to see the boat with a chain around the trailer tongue and the tongue up inside the thief's pickup truck bed, rolling down the street. Apparently, the thief had followed him home, lifted the tongue into the truck bed and chained it there.

The boat owner said he wasn't in the house 5 minutes and his new boat was gone. The article went on to say that if someone REALLY wants your stuff, they'll find a way to take it. All you can do is slow them down or make it difficult enough so they'll find another target.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 01-02-2015, 10:46 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
We have purchased and used "The Boot" used by many municipalities, to secure our single axle Safari. It is made of strong steal and covers the lug nuts. It also acts as a chock for the wheel as well. This and and a tongue lock make it a hard target for theft. Hopfully a thief will move on to an easier victim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8201-2.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	229684  
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:56 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
As for tire covers, how does your spare tire hold up without a cover? Pretty well, right?
My spare is stored under the trailer so no direct sun exposure. BUT a little research shows that UV rays actually bounce. Even if the covers offered some protection on the outside, the rays bounce against the exposed sidewall. If the cover is anything but black, unless specifically treated to block it, it will allow UV to pass through anyway.

The best protection is to "exercise" the tires by not letting them sit for months at a time. They are made with antiozinate chemicals which travel to the surface of the tires when the tire flexes, so take them for a spin every 1 - 2 months.

So the most vulnerable tire is the spare, unless you rotate tires. It sits there without ever getting exercised.

Learned something new today
References:
Tire covers and UV radiation
What Are The Effects Of Sunlight On Rubber?
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 01-02-2015, 11:11 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Where there's a will, there's a way

2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 01-02-2015, 12:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
We have purchased and used "The Boot" used by many municipalities, to secure our single axle Safari. It is made of strong steal and covers the lug nuts. It also acts as a chock for the wheel as well. This and and a tongue lock make it a hard target for theft. Hopfully a thief will move on to an easier victim.

I think batman's summary is a good point. Given time and seclusion, a determined thief will find a way, but the majority seek a quick opportunity and boots, chains and coupler locks will divert those to easier pickings.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:53 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
pickering , Ontario
wheel locks;

I used bricks myself, but chocks are great; I stored my 31' in my driveway every winter, and worrying about mice under wheel covers should be your least concern; I would rather they nest on top of the tires then in a blanket drawer inside the trailer;we would get mice coming in when we camped; best solution are the old wood snap traps with a dab of peanut butter (Home Depot-$2); works every time; put a hitch ball lock on when storing so it can't be towed;
paulwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:46 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
But for mice..FreshCab can be purchased from AMZN. No more critters for me.
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:00 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Cambria , California
I just use one of these.

MasterLock 379ATPY Trailer Coupler Lock
Ziggy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:21 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Man...I hate to dispute Protagonist since he is consistently on point with his advice, and he is even correct re tire cover given his humid location. But out west here at high elevations where the sun is merciless we need tire covers...its a must. Re the threat of thievery, fortunately there are no bad people west of the Mississippi.
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote