Old 08-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Bath , New York
Orr's Island Campground

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6 View Post
We'll be camping on The Battenkill next week; however, camping on Orr's Island Campground in Maine is quickly gaining on one of our all time favorites. We'll have a better feel for it by week's end but for now it's site #43A overlooking the bay with a clear view of the SW sky for a good DTV signal.
We've been to Orr's Island several times over the last 3 years and still talk about it as one of our favorites. Hope you're getting your fill of lobster and clams. There's a woman named Janet on site 6 or 8 that wrote a book about growing up on Bailey Island. If you should meet her, please pass along a hello from the Masons. For a spectacular beach, take a ride to Popham Beach State Park in Phippsburg. Parking was $12 a few years ago but worth it.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Do you take a ferry to Orr's island or can you drive there directly?

Old 08-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Bath , New York
You drive there. Orr's Island is the middle of a three-island chain running south out of Brunswick on Route 24 and easily accessible from I-95. Route 24 dead ends at what's called Land's End, which is a beautiful rocky coast overlook. But don't take your trailer there as there's only a small parking area and turning around might not be an option.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #18
Troutstream

2006 28' International CCD
Centerville , Ohio
I just returned from Cobscook Bay State Park in Maine. My site was on a small bluff overlooking the bay. When the tides went out we gathered clams on our own beach. The site was private and wide. Everyday in early August it would rain for an hour followed by magnificent rainbows. At night we watched the shooting stars and satellites stream across the sky above our fire pit overlooking the water. The Milky Way was spectacular. There are no crowds based on the location and the spacing. It is paradise of you like Maine.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
Signal Mountain in the Grand Tetons.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #20
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPoulin View Post
Len n Jeanne --

What size trailers do you think one could get up the road into Wragge's and into the camp spaces? I loved the research I was able to do about the location, but parks BC suggests it's tents only; that or they simply dont have the information desired about the park!

Ian
You could fit a Bambi into several of the sites, but I wouldn't try longer than that. Plan B would be to leave a bigger AS at the CG in New Denver, and head up to Wragge Beach for the day with your vehicle and a picnic-- and hopefully a kayak or two. There is an even sketchier municipal CG at Silverton, and a nice municipal CG in Slocan at the foot of the lake but it is not on the water-- the others are. There is a provincial park CG at Rosebery but it is not on the water, either, and there doesn't seem to much to the park besides camping.

BTW, another advantage of this area would be day trips to the Nakusp or Ainsworth hot springs, and hiking/cycling on the Galena Trail.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Long Key State Park in the Florida Keys. Every site is oceanfront.

Mike
Old 08-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
1969 31' Sovereign
Ft. Worth , Texas
We know this site!!! Great little beach. We spent a few days here and then tootled over to Destin to Camp Gulf. The photo made me do a double take. We have the same shot with our shiny 1969 31!
Old 08-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Great Question.

Cottonwood Campground, Big Bend National Park.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
1. Madison Campground, Yellowstone NP
2. Mile High Campground, Cherokee Indian Reservation, Balsam Mountain GSMNP
3. Bluewater Key RV Resort just north of Key West
4. Disney's Fort Wilderness
5. Our friend's farm near Valpairaso, Indiana
Old 08-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #25
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
I must add

Having been a few places with many more places in mind, I must add Sanger, ND at the Cross Ranch State Park in North Dakota as a must visit. The site we go to is electricity only but feet away from the Missouri River and absolutely haunting at dusk. To walk the shores and see the moonlight over the water fills you with such a powerful feeling that it is a "must go as many times as you can" place. I can picture some of the past history from this place and begin to understand how many people have traveled this way and we only visit their passing in honor. Nothing fancy but soothes and cleanses the soul which is all we need in this world.
Sandy
Old 08-20-2013, 10:41 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
The Gettysburg KOA is a beautiful campground with each site built into a private little grotto.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:38 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
...... The site we go to is electricity only but feet away from the Missouri River and absolutely haunting at dusk. To walk the shores and see the moonlight over the water fills you with such a powerful feeling that it is a "must go as many times as you can" place. I can picture some of the past history from this place and begin to understand how many people have traveled this way and we only visit their passing in honor. Nothing fancy but soothes and cleanses the soul which is all we need in this world.
Sandy
Beautiful sentiments, which I share. I get the same feelings at Cumberland Gap, prairie expanses, the Grand Canyon, etc. We are such small pebbles, really.

That said, how does one pick a single favorite campsite? There are so many absolutely beautiful, spellbinding, breathtaking areas in this country. Mountains, prairies, canyons, streams, rivers, oceans, lakes.....every time we take an extended trip, we find a new and special place.

Part of the great privilege of being able to get out there and explore.

Edisto Beach is a longtime favorite of ours, Padre Island National Seashore is another. Many, many others. All those we long for are by water.

Maggie.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:23 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
We haven't traveled extensively and certainly not to anywhere spectacular (yet) but we have our favourites. In no particular order:

Misty River, Walland TN. Such fabulous owners and staff; washrooms clean enough to eat in.

Glimmerglass State Park near Cooperstown NY. Small and cosy, very clean, excellent beach for swimming.

Grayton Beach State Park, FL. Just for it's position on an unspoilt section of Gulf beach.

Point Farms Provincial Park, ON. Cosy and close to Goderich. Perfect dog beach.

Rondeau Provincial Park, ON. Our local and our first. Miles of beach and swimming in the bay for the kids.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote