Old 08-21-2016, 02:29 PM   #15
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
What is AMA? (in this context)

Never mind I found it.

I'm not likely to join the american motorcyclist Association.

They scare me because i'm a klutz and would quickly harm myself.

Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:55 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Good Sam worked for me!

I've USED Good Sam and got great service on both autos, truck, and trailer. AAA is problematic on a few several counts. 1) Towing distance limitations; 2) Penalty for, what they call, "over-usage" of benefit; and 3) Cost of plan. Good Sam will get your RV back home with less hassle and cost than AAA. I've NEVER been chastised for using the plan - NEVER!

Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
that's a good way to avoid issues if you can afford to buy a new truck. (some 37K i guess) What is interesting is the air2go guys,, you know the ones that rent the SUV and the airstream, use coach net. So i guess if that is what they use it good enough for me.

Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I had Good Sam and still have basic AAA. But in answer to your question, my answer is Ford.

I have been with AAA for decades and can't remember the last time that I called them for my vehicle.

I got a good deal on Good Sam just before my Alaska trip and with an old high mileage 12 year old Lincoln, I thought it was a good deal. Renewal fees were too high so I didn't renew with Good Sam.

I bought a brand new Ford F-150 with factory extended warranty so Ford road side assistance will be my choice to call especially while towing.

AAA will be used for my Lincoln and my wife's BMW if ever needed.
Carl, Raleigh NC
2-24-16 got a 2005 Classic 31D
Timeshare owner/user since '99 check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:31 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2008 19' Safari SE
Bandera , Texas
I also was not aware of AAA roadside assist for the AS, I was told it wasn't offered 4 years ago. Sad as we had been AAA FOR 25 years. Went with Good Sam and have been relatively pleased. "Relatively" because we have argued about whether a shade tree mechanic listed as an auto repair shop in my town of 856 was qualified and had the diagnostic equipment to work on my TV. On another occasion there was no problem towing to my dealer 25 miles away. Go figure.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:20 PM   #19

2006 30' Classic S/O
Merced , California
Good Sam is excellent. I only broke down one time and it was Sunday. 85 miles east of Rapid City SD. Called Good Sam, told them my story. Within an hour they show up with a 1 ton on a flat bed tow truck. They disconnect my trailer and hook it to the 1 ton. Put my truck up on the flat bed. Ask: "Where do you want to go". Told them to take my truck to a Chevy or GMC dealer and my Airstream to the Rapid City Elks Club. They did as I ask and backed my trailer into a RV spot. On Monday the GMC dealer put a new fuel filter on my truck and I am good to go. Bottom line service was all I could ask for. Tip of the day, Don't buy Diesel in Murdo, SD at the Shell.
kleimanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:39 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Racine , Wisconsin
I didn't renew AAA when I found the Rv premium didn't include my boat trailer(with or without boat on it). Good Sam does. Got stuck with TT last winter and had good experience with Good Sam, on the phone and with tow truck driver.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:16 PM   #21
2005 18' Westphalia
Dade City , Florida
Good Sam

In the past I have used Good Sam for dead
Battery once & flat tire one, w/o problems.
This year purchased 2013 Aurstream Interstate 3500, 22.5'

I had a leak in the Macerator, diagnosed as age related, SD Airstream dealer recommended fix, ordered 3 p/n & called ahead to dealer in CO, where we would be for 5 days allowing repairs to be completed.
Had parts dropped shipped.

2 days to have repairs completed.
One day later bracket w Macerator detached from AS.

Called Good Sam, after 30 minutes on the phone giving details, location, and needs.
Someone needed to reattach Macerator to vehicle.
Good Sam plainly & clearly, & repeatedly said " We don't cover Macerato"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF, I had never heard such an exclusion, nor been told of that minor issue.

Good Sam offered me two RV mobile repair telephone, & this ended the call.

A RV Mobil repair came the next morning, showed me that the Macerator bracket, was attached w 4 aluminum 1" Rivets, where 2 had not completely seated & took 1/2hrs to reattach using 3/4" self tapping screws w rubber washers & said I would be good to go.

I have 2 questions, 1, were the rivets used to Airstream standards? 2. I returned to the Airsteam Dealer, who charged me 1/2 HR time to repair a small tear in the 4" runner hose connecting the Macerator to the waste tanks. Why should I pay for the dealers for their failure ro secure the M bracket to the vehicle.?

I have the pictures if you would like to see them.

The repair call cost me $367 w the Mobile RV technician.?

Can I be reimbursed by Good Sam, or the AS dealer?

Ok that's 3 questions.

LaGonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:23 PM   #22
2005 18' Westphalia
Dade City , Florida
Failed Macerator Service

Pictures of Macerator attached w aluminum rivets instead of self taping screws & rubber washers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	418.1 KB
ID:	269776  

LaGonda is offline   Reply With Quote