Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-31-2005, 05:20 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

what's that buzz?

the weirdest thing is happening right now. i'm south of tucson, sunny day but the wind has really picked up. periodically - especially with a big gust - there is this buzzing sound (loud buzzing sound) coming from the front lounge area. i can't tell where. you know that sound a bee makes when it's trapped behind a screen? well, that's the sound. (and yes, i checked for bees). above the front window is the original clock and thermometer (neither of which works although the clock does tick on occasion, mostly in the middle of the night) and it sounds like the buzz could be coming from there. anybody got any ideas? why would the buzz be associated with a wind gust? i'm thinking it's electrical - scary thought, getting fried in my airstream. oh well, couldn't think of a better way to go
1997 E350
nettepdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 05:46 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
umm.... maybe it's that vespa you tow with. Did you forget to turn it off?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 05:54 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Unhappy

Try lowering the tv antenna, and the stone guard over the front window.

Terry
Old 01-31-2005, 05:54 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
umm.... maybe it's vespa you tow with. Did you forget to turn it off?
hello janet....how the hell are you and your lovely husband?

speaking of the vespa, it is chained to the trailer, and "vespa" is "wasp" in italian so maybe you've got something there about the buzz. however, if i get electrocuted in my trailer, you're going to feel mighty bad for making light of my situation

(i still want a frontgate grill like you guys have but can't find one for under $300. send me a note if you find another, okay?)
1997 E350
Old 01-31-2005, 05:56 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
Try lowering the tv antenna, and the stone guard over the front window.

Terry
terry, i can't lower the antenna but i can close the rock guard. i wondered if that had something to do with it. can you explain? (i'll be back in a second)
1997 E350
Old 01-31-2005, 06:01 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by nettepdx
terry, i can't lower the antenna but i can close the rock guard. i wondered if that had something to do with it. can you explain? (i'll be back in a second)
Annete, the noise you are hearing is the sound of the wind causing a vibration in something, it is most likely the TV antena. Try taking a roll of duct tape, run a strip down the antenna, and see if the noise changes, or goes away.
Terry
Old 01-31-2005, 06:14 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
Annete, the noise you are hearing is the sound of the wind causing a vibration in something, it is most likely the TV antena. Try taking a roll of duct tape, run a strip down the antenna, and see if the noise changes, or goes away.
Terry
thanks terry. i closed the rock guard. either that did the trick or the wind has died down. it's getting dark so i'll have to try the duct tape another time.

one thing i have to say about this airstream, it's a noisy little bugger. things are popping and creaking all night long. and now the buzz. can't wait to see what it comes up with next!
1997 E350
Old 02-01-2005, 01:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Haunted?

Anette,

Maybe your Tradewind is haunted! You may have to hire an exorcist to rid your AS of evil spirits! On a positive light.......you may be dreaming of better weather, since you were inundated by rain in CA recently!

BTW....I'm upgrading to a 28' CCD.....do you want to come up for the christening (weather in the high 60's lately)?

Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 08:14 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandvm
Anette,

Maybe your Tradewind is haunted! You may have to hire an exorcist to rid your AS of evil spirits! On a positive light.......you may be dreaming of better weather, since you were inundated by rain in CA recently!

BTW....I'm upgrading to a 28' CCD.....do you want to come up for the christening (weather in the high 60's lately)?

Jim
OMG, Jim, you're really doing it! When do you get it? Sooner or later, all airstreams need to venture through the desert, so if I don't make it up there for the christening, let's do a second down here somewhere. (I'm trying really super hard not to be green with envy...i love my tradewind i love my tradewind i love my tradewind - ghosts and all).
1997 E350
Old 02-01-2005, 09:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by nettepdx
above the front window is the original clock and thermometer (neither of which works although the clock does tick on occasion, mostly in the middle of the night) and it sounds like the buzz could be coming from there.
well, at least the clock is right twice a day..... your clock motor can be kaput and it will still buzz.
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 10:28 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert
well, at least the clock is right twice a day..... your clock motor can be kaput and it will still buzz.
norby
very interesting. maybe jim is right about the tradewind being haunted. nothing i hate more than a ticking clock - nice that it chooses to do so when it's the quietest (i mean "most quiet"). i guess i could disconnect the thing but where's the fun in that
1997 E350
Old 02-01-2005, 03:19 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Hi Jim,

Congrats on your upgrade to a 28' CCD. Did you have to order or was one available at the dealer? That will definitely give you plenty of room over the 22' and you've got the right rig to pull it.

Bob Eagle
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 05:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle
Hi Jim,

Congrats on your upgrade to a 28' CCD. Did you have to order or was one available at the dealer? That will definitely give you plenty of room over the 22' and you've got the right rig to pull it.

Bob Eagle
We've been looking at them since we came back from our 35 day round trip from Oregon to Kansas last Sept-Oct. That was a long trip to spend in a 22'....and we'll have some trips again that long or longer this year. We've decided the 22' is ideal for up to a week....but longer than that has been a trial.
We're fortunate to have an AS dealer only 40 miles away, George Sutton RV in Eugene. We went to an RV Show in Salem last weekend, and they had a 28' CCD (Blue Streak interior) there with all the options, except microwave/convection oven. I'm having them change out the oven to get the MW/Conv installed in its place. We'll pick it up Feb 14, as we're flying to DC for a meeting next week. The financing is very good, no payments and no interest for 5 months , then 6.22%. This gives me a chance to sell my 22' before the first payment. Until then, I guess I'll be a two AS owner for a while .....one for short trips and one for long trips (hey, not a bad idea)!

Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 06:05 PM   #14
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
I'm SOOO jealous! Feb 14 sounds suspiciously like a valentines day gift... Congrats.

Ya know... there's nothing wrong with being a 2 trailer family..... his and hers - in case the valentines thing doesn't work out ....
Next time I'm though Corvalis I want a tour!

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 06:13 PM   #15

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I can't wait to see your new toy at the next rally. I don't think the Caravel will be done in time for the Christening, but I'm planning a Christening party for my Land Lacht too, probably later in the spring (I say keeping my fingers crossed). Too bad about the 22ft CCD not working out, that's a super nice trailer!

Uh oh, I guess we hijacked Annette's thread! So, Annette, I'll see Dusty at the luncheon in a couple weeks, should I tell him the TW is haunted?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote