Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2010, 06:18 AM   #41
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Any carrier

I have AT &T but will be leaving them when contract ends in a few months.

But you can use Iphone ANYWHERE in the world if it is unlocked and on any carrier.

IPHONEs sold anywhere but the U.S. are sold unlocked. Those phones were available to all other markets before Apple and AT&T even came close to selling them in the US. Pure "communism" practiced by those two companies.
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:21 AM   #42
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Imagine tethering your phone,somthing that the two companies dont allow. When you unlock, you too can have a phone that performs like ALL other PDAs.

How about AT&T and their empty promises? It takes a lawsuit foro them to even react. And when they do open tethering, they intend to charge you more money.....for something you already pay for.
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:45 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Maybe this isn't the venue to ask...nor is it appropriate...nor does anyone want to answer this; but...how do you unlock an I-Phone, change carriers, and what about continuing Apple service? I assume that would void any warranties. Has anyone done this?

Bob
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:54 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

Omelas , Texas
Not iPhone app(s) related, but nice tip for Airstream owners that want to play their music inside their AS.

This weekend I tried my FM adapter inside my AS, and worked beautifully. All you need is to tune your AS stereo to the freq of the adapter and start enjoying iPhone/iPod music.

Happy trails at the tune of your favorite track!
photo-travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:59 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Communism?

I would characterize it as monopolistic capitalism. Verizon might be even worse. $300 plus smart phone disconnect fees? But that is the state of mobile phones in the US. And yes I want my tethering bad! I had full AT&T 3G coverage at the 4CU rally (not too far from 1-10). And the speed test showed 900k plus. Would have been nice to use the full keyboard on my Mac. And yes, you will lose Apple warranty coverage if you're caught unlocking. Key word caught.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:44 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
This is what I would try...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
Maybe this isn't the venue to ask...nor is it appropriate...nor does anyone want to answer this; but...how do you unlock an I-Phone, change carriers, and what about continuing Apple service? I assume that would void any warranties. Has anyone done this?

Bob
I am clueless, but whenever I want to learn how to do something, especially something "techie" ~ search YouTube. It is probably there.
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:16 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Argyle , Texas
Here is a link that gives the skinny on unlocking your iPhone. It states that the only other GSM network (the only type of network that an iPhone will work on) in the USA is T-Mobile. Personally I'm happy with AT&T.

How To Unlock an iPhone - PC World

If you Google "unlocking iPhone you will get multiple references.

Ed
Buzzy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Based on someone's suggestion on this thread, I downloaded iGasUp. How cool! I was looking to tank up (I have a total of 80 gallons fuel capacity) and used this app - found a gas station 10 cents cheaper, maybe 3 miles out of my way that I wouldn't have known about otherwise. Very cool!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:46 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Louisville , Kentucky
I love "words with friends" ap. You can play scrabble with anyone on the planet who has a iphone or itouch. Have 8 different games going right now.
gregth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:48 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Trapster, EasyWriter, iFirstAid, Read It Later, Free Photo Filters, Pandora Box

Thanks for sharing what apps you've downloaded on to your iPhones everyone!

Janet, thanks for starting this thread. It's great!

In addition to some of the apps already mentioned we have (all are free):

Trapster – Trapster will notify you of red light cameras and speed cameras around you. It also stores location where police often hide. As you drive, it will notify you by voice when you are approaching any of those camera or police hide out locations. Pretty cool application, just imagine your mobile telling you that you are moving towards speed traps.

EasyWriter – This app is particularly useful when composing emails. It provides an alternative typing interface in the iPhone’s landscape view. It also allows you to pinch and zoom text to adjust its size and keeps track of your text when incoming call or text message comes in.

iFirstAid – This app could save lives. It provides all the basic information you need for handling an emergency situation and applying first-aid properly. The app was developed in cooperation with the White Cross Rescue Association, so know the information is reliable

Read It Later Free – Read It Later, a cross-platform browser extension for saving online articles for later reading, has just debuted their newly updated iPhone application. This latest version introduces a number of useful features for voracious mobile readers including support for articles spanning multiple pages, support for sites requiring logins (like WSJ or NYT), new sharing features, and a lot more.

Free Photo Filters – Free photo filters app provides filters include Lomography Filter, Poloarizing Filter, Black and White Filter, Retro Effect Filter and more.

Pandora Box – This app will let you to stay up on the other iPhone apps hitting the iTunes Apps Store every day. You can view apps that have discount offers or paid apps that just became free. Use it to create your own list of favorite apps, track apps you need most, and search for apps by name.

Yes, we might have to upgrade our iPhones to 32 Gigs from 16 Gigs.

Does anyone know of some sort of iPhone insurance that covers damage, loss or theft (besides standard homeowners insurance)? We were informed that AT & T does not offer insurance for their iPhones, just an extended warranty plan for manufacturer's defects.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:34 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
I posted this on another thread, but seemed appropriate here:

AAA (and perhaps others) has an iPhone app called AAA Roadside that allows you to request service - and identifies to AAA where you are (via the iPhone GPS). Really cool - happy to say I haven't needed to use it, but this really could improve identifying to AAA where exactly you are requiring service, and all without needing to make a phone call.

There is also a second app called AAA Discounts that, again using GPS, identifies businesses nearby to your location that offer AAA discounts.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

Old 01-21-2010, 01:01 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Here are a couple of other iPhone apps that I have on my phone that I recommend folks want to look at ~

There is a app called "Truck Stops" that gives lots of information on truck stops along different road routes.

I use the "Weather Channel" app on a daily basis.

I have the free version of "ICE" (In Case of Emergency) they also have a paid version.

There are also several apps for winery locators I have the Winery Quest Pro Lite version and it covers California wineries. There is also a Winery Quest Pro that is kind of spendy for a app ($6.99) so I downloaded the cheapie version first to see how it looks!

I also have Taxi Fight a quick and easy little game from Glu Mobile.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:31 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Tonight we are sitting inside (yes, inside) our Airstream watching and listening to our campfire. In fact we have 2 campfires. Sort of our own personal firedancer... A cute little free app for the iPhone called "eternal fire".
Old 01-26-2010, 09:34 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
Favorite iPhone apps

These are my personal favorites, especially when camping or on the road (all available through iTunes):

-Knot Guide: pretty exhaustive tutorial on all knot categories

-iBird Yard: great for bird identification

-Ocarina: fun app for music around the campfire

-If Found: puts emergency phone number on opening page of iPhone without the need to go into applications or unlock the phone if it's found, but in a locked mode.

-Astronomy:
1. Sun 'n Moon: handy if you want to get up in time to photograph sunrises.
2. In addition to Star Walk, "Distant Suns" is a good app for stargazing
3. "Perpetuum": For calculating moon phases that will either light your way (full moon), or if a new moon, allow for maximum star observation.

Kudos to the originator of this thread! Gotta go download some of these other apps!

-Jerry

Jerry & Susan
2007 19' Bambi SE; 2018 Ford F-350 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4
ESCAPE POD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:37 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
Photogene

Sorry, almost forgot: Photogene is an excellent app for editing photos on your iPhone, whether downloaded from your computer, or taken with the iPhone's camera.

Jerry & Susan
2007 19' Bambi SE; 2018 Ford F-350 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4
ESCAPE POD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:01 PM   #56
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Walmart. If you type in Walmart in the search window, it will provide you an app called Walmart (go figure). The cool part is it has a store locator, so if you are sans a campground and looking for a place to crash for the night, I can see this being pretty useful.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:12 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
There is an app called "KEEPER" by "Callpod" that i find very useful.

It is basically a secure database for all your sensitive information that uses military encryption - whatever that is!

It works very well, is intuitive to use and has an excellent search feature.

When you synch your ipod with a mac (not sure if it also works with pc) it automatically puts an encrypted backup into your version of itunes.

It is a free app, but if you want, you can buy aversion for your Mac (I did) and then, you can synch KEEPER on your touch and your laptop wirelessly as long as you are both on the same wifi connection.

For me it has worked very well. I have my ipod touch double password protected, ie one password to open the ipod, another to get into keeper. That fact, plus having the encryption makes me fee a little nore secure carrying all the sensitive info in the ipod.

Oh yes, I have another very simple app (free) called "If Found" it allows you easily to put a favourite photo along with a message as a splash screen that comes up as soon as you turn the ipod on.

This is the first thing someone would see when turning on the ipod.

I have my name and phone number there hoping that if I lost it and some honest person found it, I might have a chance of getting it back!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:45 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Maps
AroundMe
Rest Area
Travelling Companion
DOODLE JUMP
Is this Gluten Free
Scout Handbook
CampFire
iBird

these are the most useful and fun that I have
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:05 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I have tried several "To Do" list apps, and the one hat works best for me is "Zenbe."

I think it costs $2.99

Very easy to use, versatile - can create many different lists, apart from a general "to do" list, I keep lists on many things - such as things not to forget when I go to collect our AS from the storage yard, things not to forget when I winterize the trailer, etc. etc.

The older I get, the more useful these reminder lists seem to be!

A nice feature of Zenbe Lists is that you can synch it with a version that you can store on their website. The synch is wireless if you have your computer and ipod touch on the same wifi wireless router.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Does anybody have experience with the "Tapatalk" app?

My husband's V-Bulletin forum has this enanbled and it seems to make using the forums on his iPhone ALOT easier...they just adapted it though, so he can't really go into detail - but it seems like something that would be cool for this forum to adopt as well.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote