Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
What to see in BC?

Spending two weeks in September in and around Vancouver, Victoria, Whistler, Tofino and the Okanagen Valley. Any tips on must see areas and great campgrounds? Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Loads! Where to begin? Can you tell us what your interests are to narrow it down?

I grew up in the Okanagan and there is everything from great fly fishing to wine tasting. Here in Vancouver there are great restaurants, art galleries, theatre, sailing, world-class mountain biking, clubs, pubs, shopping... Whistler is great for outdoor pursuits. Don't miss the Museum of Anthropology. Tofino is very busy and touristy, so I always recommend that you stay in Ucluelet, which is 20 minutes South. When there, there's hiking, beach-combing and surfing. If you're there after Labour Day, things will be a little less busy. Victoria has lots to see as well.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
It might be a push, but Banff and Jasper National parks should not be missed. Incredible country! Happy trails, perfect time of the year to be up there.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
We like to sight see and sample fresh local cuisine. We've been to Tofino, Victoria an Vancouver. This time we will be RVing. Campground recommendations ( we like waterside/lakeside) would be helpful. Don't know anything about the Okanagan so what to see and do suggestions are needed. My wife's father told me the Okanagan valley was his dream retirement spot. Thanks
Old 04-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Powell , Ohio
We will be arriving in Victoria on May 2, 2013 for 3 days. After that we will drive north to the middle of the island for some hiking, biking, and photography. Any specific recommendation would be greatly appreciated. We will spend a week on the island, before heading to Prince Ruppert.

We would also welcome any other Airstreamers along the way.
tbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Royston , B.C.
campgrounds on van isle

Not too much camping in Victoria, you will have to head up island to find the gems...

You might go to the Cowichan Valley from Nanaimo and do day trips to Victoria and Sooke, one hour away. You will pass Goldstream park at the base of the Malahat highway, a tricky way up and over road not the greatest for trailers, be sure to stop.

B.C. provincial campgrounds are pretty sweet, bigger, more space between campsites, and well maintained.

Long Beach/Tofino, is well worth the trip, so try the provincial campground:Greenpoint or private campgrounds on Mackenzie Beach. Both the drive and the beaches are spectacular. You do have to pay for parking in All the beach lots so be prepared for that. If it is raining wait ten minutes and it will be sunny, well sort of.

A wee bit further up island one and a half hours past Nanaimo in Black Creek is Miracle Beach, the biggest in the province, and the beach is fine there too.

Consider travelling through Nanaimo as it puts you closer to the good camping. If you go to Victoria/Sidney, you have to drive down the peninsula around and over the Malahat highway to get to the rest of the island.

You get twenty feet in the cost of the ferry, $75ish now for car and driver, plus $10 bucks an extra person, plus more by the foot for your trailer! It costs around $100 dollars extra for me to get my 75 thirty footer and my truck over, hard to say because they change the fares often.

Alice Lake on the way to Whistler is a beauty, and totally on the way.

You will be traveling when it is not too busy, good. Have Fun!
Pablito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Flin Flon , Manitoba
Ooo! Tofino is so beautiful! One of the best place i camped there was a stones throw away from Mackenzie beach. Don't remember the name but every place is beautiful there. Also in the interior of b.c is salmon arm. Quant town with an amazing dairy farm... D&D Dutchman dairies .. Amazing ice cream and a cute zoo as well. Hidden valley campground close to salmon arm is wonderful! Enjoy the trip!!
Kdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #8

1996 32' Cutter Bus
Petaluma , California
We stayed at Westbay Marine Village in Esquimalt (Victoria) for a week in June 2011. It was a very convenient location to explore Victoria from. We often took the city bus to avoid having to deal with parking. After a fun day of celebrating Canada day (July 1) in Victoria, we were able to see all the fireworks from the rv park. The girls at the front desk were super helpful with telling us what busses to take, making change for us to do laundry, etc. The Victoria KOA is not very close to Victoria.

http://www.westbay.bc.ca/Home.aspx

The costliest parts of that trip were the ferry fees and the last minute passport renewals. I also had to purchase a replacement deep cycle house battery in Victoria, which costs significantly more than in the US.

We also did a Vancouver, Nanaimo, Victoria trip in 2000 tent camping, hotels and b&bs. We had a blast then as well... although I can't remember all the specifics now. The provincial campgrounds were first rate though, with well-disciplined and friendly campers.
AdamB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Powell , Ohio
Our schedule

We will take the Blackball ferry to Victory on May 2 with reservations at Pedder Bay RV Resort & Marina
925 Pedder Bay Drive
Victoria, BC V9C 4H1 Canada
250-478-1771 / 1-877-478-1771
Web: Pedder Bay RV Resort & Marina - Victoria, Vancouver Island, BC

On May 6 we will travel to Bella Pacifica Campground in Tofino until May 9.

Thanks for your advice. Sound like we should not have a problem finding something to do.
tbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
You WILL have a great vacation on VI.

A word of caution. You will have to turn off your propane on the ferry. Prepare your fridge and try to leave the fridge closed for that period if you don't have a 2 or 3 way fridge.

Make Coombs a stop for a coffee or lunch and enjoy some local hospitality.
The Bluegrass Festival is Aug 1 weekend.
https://sites.google.com/site/coombs...tival/schedule

http://goo.gl/maps/iVVLx

Port Alberni be sure to ride the steam train from downtown to the McLean Mill National Historic Site for the very informative and entertaining tour.
Alberni Pacific Railway Schedule & Fares | Alberni Heritage

Alberni Heritage Railway - YouTube

Nana BMX May 5th.
NANAIMO Gates – 6pm « Nanaimo BMX

Bungy Zone
Things to do in Nanaimo | WildPlay Element Parks | WildPlay Element Parks
Monkido - 10 seconds on Vimeo

Museum downtown Nanaimo
Nanaimo Museum

Roberts Lake Resort. Beautiful area for a stop. Lorna will give you the local history while you have your meal or ice cream cone.
http://robertslakeresort.ca/

When you get to Sayward, check this place out for the best food away from home. Building is made from discarded boom cable.
http://www.cablecookhouse.com/

There used to be a museum next door. Not sure if it is still there.

I have lived on the 'ISLAND' since 1964 and have only scratched the surface of things to discover.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #11
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
While in the Alberni Valley don't miss a visit to the Martin Mars Base on Sprout Lake.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:47 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
We will be in the Okanagen Valley for a couple of days in mid september. Would Todd's RV park be a go base to see the surrounding area? If not any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
When I was a kid, it was called Todd's Tent Town, or something like that. I think it's a decent spot. There is a Provincial Park just South of there that is quite good (Okanagan Lake Provincial Park).
Old 07-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #14
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We have family in west Vancouver near UBC, and generally just leave the Bambi at home; in part because they will put us up, but also because (a) the streets in the older part of the city are very narrow, and (b) we couldn't find any RV parks anywhere close to where we wanted to go. There are RV parks on the outskirts, however; and some places have decent mass transit to the downtown and UBC areas (where the anthropology museum and a beautiful Japanese garden are located.) Of course, you can drop your trailer at an RV park and drive your vehicle into town, but you may buck a lot of backed-up commuter traffic en route. Also, just be patient about finding parking.

I believe HY 1 (the Trans-Canada) actually routes you up Hastings Street in Vancouver, which would be one to avoid. The city's drug scene is probably not Airstream-friendly. We often get around when coming up through the US (I-90 to I-5 via Bellingham, WA) on Marine Drive.

If you are a gardener or just like beautiful gardens, the Van Dusen gardens in Vancouver and Butchart gardens in Victoria are just spectacular. Check out Granville Island in Vancouver, with its restaurants, farmers' market, and shops. One thing we love about Vancouver is its extensive public waterfront. Not all of it is public, but there are miles of beaches and parks extending from the downtown for quite a ways west. Great for walking or cycling. The views are super!

If you like Japanese food or fresh seafood generally, the BC coast is a great place to visit. We've enjoyed the Sandbar restaurant on Granville Island, or many hole-in-the-wall sushi places that are as common as coffee houses in Vancouver. Vancouver has several mini-downtowns with a lot of mom & pop shops and restaurants, which are a lot more interesting than typical US big-box malls.

There is a big info centre in Osoyoos on HY 3, which is many people's first stop in the Okanagon. They should have info on winery tours, and you can hardly miss just by touring around the lakes. We've stayed at the Desert Gem RV park in Oliver, BC. It is not woodsy enough for our tastes, but elegant facilities.

BC truly is one of the most beautiful places on earth. Have a wonderful visit!
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmorgan View Post
Spending two weeks in September in and around Vancouver, Victoria, Whistler, Tofino and the Okanagen Valley. Any tips on must see areas and great campgrounds? Any help is appreciated.
Porteau Cove is just north of Horseshoe Bay so is within commuting distance to Van. Near whistler, try Alice Lake, certainly one of the most beautiful campgrounds in Canada. Great time of the year to visit all of BC. Jim
Old 07-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
We stayed last month at Capilano River RV Park in West Vancouver. Convenient to Vancouver by bus or Sea Bus, but the RV park was crowded and cramped. They tried to cram us between giant motor homes with slideouts and said the computer wouldn't let our site be changed. Once they found out we weren't accepting that BS, they changed us -- and the printout said they had also changed us the day before we arrived from our requested/reserved site to the crappy one. Yes, they have wifi. No, it doesn't work. We would advise against staying there if you have any options at all. There's nothing good about this place but proximity to the city.

Vancouver, on the other hand, was great. See the steam clock in Gas Town and enjoy a Japadog!

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmorgan View Post
We like to sight see and sample fresh local cuisine. We've been to Tofino, Victoria an Vancouver. This time we will be RVing. Campground recommendations ( we like waterside/lakeside) would be helpful. Don't know anything about the Okanagan so what to see and do suggestions are needed. My wife's father told me the Okanagan valley was his dream retirement spot. Thanks
Try some of Vancouver's Food Trucks for some of that fresh, local, cuisine.
Sample Vancouver

Street Eats: 24 of Vancouver

Vancouver Island is one of my favourite spots.

Love the drive from Nanaimo to Port Alberni....

Be sure to stop at MacMillian Park....
Old 07-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan and Liz View Post
We stayed last month at Capilano River RV Park in West Vancouver. Convenient to Vancouver by bus or Sea Bus, but the RV park was crowded and cramped. They tried to cram us between giant motor homes with slideouts and said the computer wouldn't let our site be changed. Once they found out we weren't accepting that BS, they changed us -- and the printout said they had also changed us the day before we arrived from our requested/reserved site to the crappy one. Yes, they have wifi. No, it doesn't work. We would advise against staying there if you have any options at all. There's nothing good about this place but proximity to the city.

Vancouver, on the other hand, was great. See the steam clock in Gas Town and enjoy a Japadog!
I'd stay at the RV parks in Burnaby, or head North to Porteau Cove before I stay at Capilano RV. Capilano has a reputation for being mismanaged the past several years. My parents stayed there a few years ago and quickly hauled out of there and went to stay at Cariboo RV park in Burnaby, which they quite liked. Cariboo is adjacent a skytrain station, so getting downtown is easy.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:20 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
With just a few weeks to go my BC planning is in high gear. One segment, Kelowna to Whistler, has two suggested routes. The first would have us travel to Kamloops then on to Whistler while the other takes back to Vancouver then up to Whistler. My preference would be the first. Any comments? Thanks for your help!
Old 08-30-2013, 07:28 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Beautiful place. Check out the Riveted blog. They just spent a number of days up there with a group of Airstreamers.

www.riveted-blog.com

Colorado Mountains
International Sterling 27FB
2015 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax & Allison
aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote