Old 07-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #15
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmorgan View Post
Spending two weeks in September in and around Vancouver, Victoria, Whistler, Tofino and the Okanagen Valley. Any tips on must see areas and great campgrounds? Any help is appreciated.
Porteau Cove is just north of Horseshoe Bay so is within commuting distance to Van. Near whistler, try Alice Lake, certainly one of the most beautiful campgrounds in Canada. Great time of the year to visit all of BC. Jim

Old 07-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
We stayed last month at Capilano River RV Park in West Vancouver. Convenient to Vancouver by bus or Sea Bus, but the RV park was crowded and cramped. They tried to cram us between giant motor homes with slideouts and said the computer wouldn't let our site be changed. Once they found out we weren't accepting that BS, they changed us -- and the printout said they had also changed us the day before we arrived from our requested/reserved site to the crappy one. Yes, they have wifi. No, it doesn't work. We would advise against staying there if you have any options at all. There's nothing good about this place but proximity to the city.

Vancouver, on the other hand, was great. See the steam clock in Gas Town and enjoy a Japadog!

"I'd rather be happy for just one day than miserable for the rest of my life."
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
We like to sight see and sample fresh local cuisine. We've been to Tofino, Victoria an Vancouver. This time we will be RVing. Campground recommendations ( we like waterside/lakeside) would be helpful. Don't know anything about the Okanagan so what to see and do suggestions are needed. My wife's father told me the Okanagan valley was his dream retirement spot. Thanks
Try some of Vancouver's Food Trucks for some of that fresh, local, cuisine.
Sample Vancouver

Street Eats: 24 of Vancouver

Vancouver Island is one of my favourite spots.

Love the drive from Nanaimo to Port Alberni....
Cameron Lake and heading towards MacMillan Park,Vancouver Island, BC - YouTube

Be sure to stop at MacMillian Park....
MacMillan Provincial Park - Cathedral grove walk 1 [HD] 1080p - YouTube
Old 07-28-2013, 09:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan and Liz View Post
We stayed last month at Capilano River RV Park in West Vancouver. Convenient to Vancouver by bus or Sea Bus, but the RV park was crowded and cramped. They tried to cram us between giant motor homes with slideouts and said the computer wouldn't let our site be changed. Once they found out we weren't accepting that BS, they changed us -- and the printout said they had also changed us the day before we arrived from our requested/reserved site to the crappy one. Yes, they have wifi. No, it doesn't work. We would advise against staying there if you have any options at all. There's nothing good about this place but proximity to the city.

Vancouver, on the other hand, was great. See the steam clock in Gas Town and enjoy a Japadog!
I'd stay at the RV parks in Burnaby, or head North to Porteau Cove before I stay at Capilano RV. Capilano has a reputation for being mismanaged the past several years. My parents stayed there a few years ago and quickly hauled out of there and went to stay at Cariboo RV park in Burnaby, which they quite liked. Cariboo is adjacent a skytrain station, so getting downtown is easy.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
With just a few weeks to go my BC planning is in high gear. One segment, Kelowna to Whistler, has two suggested routes. The first would have us travel to Kamloops then on to Whistler while the other takes back to Vancouver then up to Whistler. My preference would be the first. Any comments? Thanks for your help!
Old 08-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Beautiful place. Check out the Riveted blog. They just spent a number of days up there with a group of Airstreamers.

www.riveted-blog.com

Colorado Mountains
International Sterling 27FB
2015 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax & Allison
aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:26 PM   #21
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
The drive through Lillooet to Whistler is one of the most beautiful in Canada. It is challenging, however, but can be done as long as you are not in a hurry. I dragged my 25' Safari with my Jeep over the route in the rain. Make sure your brakes are working. Jim
Old 08-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
With just a few weeks to go my BC planning is in high gear. One segment, Kelowna to Whistler, has two suggested routes. The first would have us travel to Kamloops then on to Whistler while the other takes back to Vancouver then up to Whistler. My preference would be the first. Any comments? Thanks for your help!
If you don't mind a challenge and beautiful scenery. The first one. The second route has its merits but isn't nearly as nice a drive. The first route is popular with motorcyclists, so that might give you an idea about the road. A third option is the old Hope-Princeton route from the South Okanagan.

cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote