Old 09-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #29
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
One thing I've started doing… Given the very limited storage space in an Interstate, I try to keep track of which things I use and which I don't. Anything that goes for two consecutive trips without being used comes out because I can obviously get by without it.

Except for basic repair tools and basic safety equipment, of course. Those things I carry every time, and hope that I never need them.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I agree, if it is not used in two trips it comes out except for safety and maintenance items. This includes clothing not needed, canned food not used in 2 trips, except emergency rations, books and magazines and my favorite, chairs for guests(they can bring their own) and extra tables. Jim

Old 09-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #31
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Rolls of paper towels make great fillers in the cabinets, and then they are on board when you need them.
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Our trips are too varied for a "two trip" elimination cycle, so ours is more of a "What didn't we use this year?" question.

For Burning Man we need extra paper towels, since water is dear and burning is easy. For the Pacific Northwest, where we have water and power and settle in for weeks at a time, we put our pots, pans and bowls through their paces. Other camping uses something in between.

Food and clothing are the only things that we pack inside our Airstream for a trip. We also pack accessories in the truck: outdoor carpets, water hoses, leveling boards and a tool box. We are looking at making up a small tool box that has all the tools the Airstream needs on a regular basis, such as the right size sockets for the stabilizers and the wheel chocks.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:14 AM   #33
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
Our trips are too varied for a "two trip" elimination cycle, so ours is more of a "What didn't we use this year?" question.
I can understand that. For me, the two-trip rule came about because I still work for a living, and my trips tend to be limited to one week or less in duration, and usually to a State Park or CoE campground within a one-day drive of where I live. I can do a drive of up to 10 hours one-way if I get an early-enough start, so I still have a pretty wide area to explore.

When I eventually retire, and my trips are not so limited in duration or location, my trip planning will undoubtedly change. However, the severely limited storage space in my Interstate will not change, so I'll still have to be ruthless in culling the "nice to have but not strictly necessary" items from my packing list.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Something else that we leave in the Airstream so that we have them at hand are nature guides. We have some quick ID guides for plants, mammals, trees and birds for the Pacific Northwest or the Western U.S. They are small, either pocket size or laminated cheat sheets so they don't add much weight or bulk.