Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Our Bambi interior reaches 145-150 degrees (F) in the summer, so a lot of temperature sensitive items are transferred to our air conditioned home the minute we get back. For example, medications (including prescription and OTC medications like vitamins, aspirin, etc.), soda (explodes), canned goods (heat shortens shelf life), even bottled water (which can spoil over time, in elevated temperatures).

Note: This is only in the summer. Many of the above items stay in the Airstream during the cooler months.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
We're in the same boat as Phoenix! We have mostly everything in square tupperware stackables ( they have been demoted out of the pantry and only ever stored dry goods). Everything stays in - clothes, kitchen stuff, books, all bathroom stuff (I use a lot of sample packets). I take out any food or anything that might melt. I was just there today where its stored to check it out. Surprisingly, it wasn't as hot as I expected it to be since it's almost 109! We have that reflective bubble screening on all the windows including the fan! It works!!

Since we can't keep the AS at home and we usually leave right from the storage facility, we keep as much there as possible. Last trip we brought all food, small bbq, and generator in the TV to the AS. When we got to the storage place, we put all the food in the fridge with ice in both compartments (you can ask me about that stuff later) and were ready to head out. We only bring the computer/ipad cause everything else (dirties) has been put back in beforehand.

We have a little "staging area" in the house. Its were we put everything that needs to go back to the AS. But I try to make sure anything non-food gets back in the AS before we go on another trip. Quick in and quick out. Hitching up and unhitching in 100+ temps is not fun!

....but we never usually worry about rain or winterizing! the trade-off!
BAAMbi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:11 AM   #23
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Our Bambi interior reaches 145-150 degrees (F) in the summer, so a lot of temperature sensitive items are transferred to our air conditioned home the minute we get back. For example, medications (including prescription and OTC medications like vitamins, aspirin, etc.), soda (explodes), canned goods (heat shortens shelf life), even bottled water (which can spoil over time, in elevated temperatures).

Note: This is only in the summer. Many of the above items stay in the Airstream during the cooler months.
My MaxxAir fan has a nearly rain-proof hood, and I leave it and the bathroom vent open all the time (not turned on, just open) in storage. Not all the way open, just enough to let heat rise and escape. Between that and the Reflectix on the windshield and front windows of the Interstate, and the blinds closed on all the other windows, the temperature inside usually stays within a degree or two of the temperature outside.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
We leave everything packed in the Airstream all season.... before winter I take out anything that little critters might be interested in.... (mice) I have some glass dishes and some plastic... I do like regular coffee cups and all my glasses or cups I take old socks and cut the tops off and slip them over the cups and glasses.... they can jump around quite a bit and not harm anything. I do that to things in the 'fridge as well that are in glass jars. Lots of good advice to date on this thread! Pack her up and go.....
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Same deal, keep it equipped except for food and bar soap (mice).

Non-skid in drawers and cabinets, put "spillables" in the sinks when moving.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #26
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We keep wine glasses packed in their original (shipping) boxes. So far they've handled the bumps in the road. I also have some old sheets of bubble wrap and packing foam that go over the dishes to minimize the rattling. No mice yet, thank goodness! We understand that spiders are attracted to propane, and once some were living inside an exhaust vent, but thankfully they've not found their way inside.

Jeanne
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
We have 'camping' dishes, silverware, utensils, linen, and cleaning supplies dedicated to the trailer. With regards to foodstuff, we keep basics stored in old Tupperware containers. Based upon our menus, we will pack these extras the night before we leave. We are still fine tuning what is truely needed, but thats half the fun! You'll be surprised how even some of the most 'seasoned' travelers will stop by and ask "do you have..."

However during the winter, all food and most of the linens are removed from our trailer.

Good Luck
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Colo Spgs , & Tucson
This is a terrific thread for us newbs--some cool tricks including pillows in the cupboards, nets for the glassware, etc. It took me awhile to find it, however, using the searrch engine. May I respectfully suggest that this might be worthy of being made a sticky?
Budget M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #29

2012 Interstate Coach
One thing I've started doing… Given the very limited storage space in an Interstate, I try to keep track of which things I use and which I don't. Anything that goes for two consecutive trips without being used comes out because I can obviously get by without it.

Except for basic repair tools and basic safety equipment, of course. Those things I carry every time, and hope that I never need them.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I agree, if it is not used in two trips it comes out except for safety and maintenance items. This includes clothing not needed, canned food not used in 2 trips, except emergency rations, books and magazines and my favorite, chairs for guests(they can bring their own) and extra tables. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #31
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Rolls of paper towels make great fillers in the cabinets, and then they are on board when you need them.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Our trips are too varied for a "two trip" elimination cycle, so ours is more of a "What didn't we use this year?" question.

For Burning Man we need extra paper towels, since water is dear and burning is easy. For the Pacific Northwest, where we have water and power and settle in for weeks at a time, we put our pots, pans and bowls through their paces. Other camping uses something in between.

Food and clothing are the only things that we pack inside our Airstream for a trip. We also pack accessories in the truck: outdoor carpets, water hoses, leveling boards and a tool box. We are looking at making up a small tool box that has all the tools the Airstream needs on a regular basis, such as the right size sockets for the stabilizers and the wheel chocks.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:14 AM   #33

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
Our trips are too varied for a "two trip" elimination cycle, so ours is more of a "What didn't we use this year?" question.
I can understand that. For me, the two-trip rule came about because I still work for a living, and my trips tend to be limited to one week or less in duration, and usually to a State Park or CoE campground within a one-day drive of where I live. I can do a drive of up to 10 hours one-way if I get an early-enough start, so I still have a pretty wide area to explore.

When I eventually retire, and my trips are not so limited in duration or location, my trip planning will undoubtedly change. However, the severely limited storage space in my Interstate will not change, so I'll still have to be ruthless in culling the "nice to have but not strictly necessary" items from my packing list.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Something else that we leave in the Airstream so that we have them at hand are nature guides. We have some quick ID guides for plants, mammals, trees and birds for the Pacific Northwest or the Western U.S. They are small, either pocket size or laminated cheat sheets so they don't add much weight or bulk.