Old 08-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
One more thing - we have a coffee maker that stays in the trailer - we wrap the cord around it, through the carafe handle, and put in the oven.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
We use these type of bottle covers to keep our stoneware mugs and breakables wrapped in the overheads (tip from the PO)... and we have lots of them ... covers that is ... we have two each in between pots & pans as well, to prevent rubbing ... yep lots of 'em ...

We have a set of everything for the Airstream, so all we pack are clothes and food - pack your cupboards closely, because if it can fall over ... it will.
Wendy

Old 08-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamRollin View Post
We use these type of bottle covers to keep our stoneware mugs and breakables wrapped in the overheads (tip from the PO)... and we have lots of them ... covers that is ... we have two each in between pots & pans as well, to prevent rubbing ... yep lots of 'em ...

We have a set of everything for the Airstream, so all we pack are clothes and food - pack your cupboards closely, because if it can fall over ... it will.
Wendy

Old socks work well, too. Wash them first, of course…
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, pretty much the same as everyone else, we have vertually everything we need in our trailer. We remove the food items. Laundry is done and these items go back into our trailer. We don't have doubles of our dog's stuff [bed and dishes Etc.] so we have to pack his things.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Everything stays except for the rock collection
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #20

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
Everything stays except for the rock collection
Now that you mention it, I take out my rock collection, too. And my jazz collection, my Irish folk music collection…
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 08-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Our Bambi interior reaches 145-150 degrees (F) in the summer, so a lot of temperature sensitive items are transferred to our air conditioned home the minute we get back. For example, medications (including prescription and OTC medications like vitamins, aspirin, etc.), soda (explodes), canned goods (heat shortens shelf life), even bottled water (which can spoil over time, in elevated temperatures).

Note: This is only in the summer. Many of the above items stay in the Airstream during the cooler months.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
We're in the same boat as Phoenix! We have mostly everything in square tupperware stackables ( they have been demoted out of the pantry and only ever stored dry goods). Everything stays in - clothes, kitchen stuff, books, all bathroom stuff (I use a lot of sample packets). I take out any food or anything that might melt. I was just there today where its stored to check it out. Surprisingly, it wasn't as hot as I expected it to be since it's almost 109! We have that reflective bubble screening on all the windows including the fan! It works!!

Since we can't keep the AS at home and we usually leave right from the storage facility, we keep as much there as possible. Last trip we brought all food, small bbq, and generator in the TV to the AS. When we got to the storage place, we put all the food in the fridge with ice in both compartments (you can ask me about that stuff later) and were ready to head out. We only bring the computer/ipad cause everything else (dirties) has been put back in beforehand.

We have a little "staging area" in the house. Its were we put everything that needs to go back to the AS. But I try to make sure anything non-food gets back in the AS before we go on another trip. Quick in and quick out. Hitching up and unhitching in 100+ temps is not fun!

....but we never usually worry about rain or winterizing! the trade-off!
Old 08-08-2012, 06:11 AM   #23

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Our Bambi interior reaches 145-150 degrees (F) in the summer, so a lot of temperature sensitive items are transferred to our air conditioned home the minute we get back. For example, medications (including prescription and OTC medications like vitamins, aspirin, etc.), soda (explodes), canned goods (heat shortens shelf life), even bottled water (which can spoil over time, in elevated temperatures).

Note: This is only in the summer. Many of the above items stay in the Airstream during the cooler months.
My MaxxAir fan has a nearly rain-proof hood, and I leave it and the bathroom vent open all the time (not turned on, just open) in storage. Not all the way open, just enough to let heat rise and escape. Between that and the Reflectix on the windshield and front windows of the Interstate, and the blinds closed on all the other windows, the temperature inside usually stays within a degree or two of the temperature outside.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 08-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
We leave everything packed in the Airstream all season.... before winter I take out anything that little critters might be interested in.... (mice) I have some glass dishes and some plastic... I do like regular coffee cups and all my glasses or cups I take old socks and cut the tops off and slip them over the cups and glasses.... they can jump around quite a bit and not harm anything. I do that to things in the 'fridge as well that are in glass jars. Lots of good advice to date on this thread! Pack her up and go.....

My blogs: http://yrekahistory.blogspot.com
http://siskiyoucountycamping.blogspot.com
http://campingalongi-5.blogspot.com/
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:09 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Same deal, keep it equipped except for food and bar soap (mice).

Non-skid in drawers and cabinets, put "spillables" in the sinks when moving.

doug k
Old 08-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #26
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We keep wine glasses packed in their original (shipping) boxes. So far they've handled the bumps in the road. I also have some old sheets of bubble wrap and packing foam that go over the dishes to minimize the rattling. No mice yet, thank goodness! We understand that spiders are attracted to propane, and once some were living inside an exhaust vent, but thankfully they've not found their way inside.

Jeanne
Old 08-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
We have 'camping' dishes, silverware, utensils, linen, and cleaning supplies dedicated to the trailer. With regards to foodstuff, we keep basics stored in old Tupperware containers. Based upon our menus, we will pack these extras the night before we leave. We are still fine tuning what is truely needed, but thats half the fun! You'll be surprised how even some of the most 'seasoned' travelers will stop by and ask "do you have..."

However during the winter, all food and most of the linens are removed from our trailer.

Good Luck
Old 09-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Colo Spgs , & Tucson
This is a terrific thread for us newbs--some cool tricks including pillows in the cupboards, nets for the glassware, etc. It took me awhile to find it, however, using the searrch engine. May I respectfully suggest that this might be worthy of being made a sticky?