Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2018, 08:54 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRizzuti View Post
One of the biggest reasons dogs aren’t allowed on National Park trails here in the west is that the dogs territory along the trails. This attracts coyotes, wolves, bears and mountain lions to the trails, which increases the chances of human encounters with critters most humans don’t want to encounter while hiking. I can tell you for a fact that it’s pretty darn scary when a pack of coyotes starts stalking your dog while you’re hiking with it.

In more than 40 years of hiking on and off trails in the west, my experience has been the opposite. I am less likely to encounter animals when accompanied by a dog. Of course, a puppy or a miniature dog might be an exception, as animals are looking for lunch. But once dogs get coyote sized or larger, the wild animals look for lunch elsewhere.

Actually, my suspicion is that one reason dogs aren’t allowed on trails in national parks is that it discourages other animals from coming around, which is part of the experience other hikers hope to have.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:57 AM   #62
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
A lot of interesting comments in this thread. Leave the human home, I was thinking the same, however held my tonge 1st go around. Been around coyotes all my life. Can't say I have ever seen one get up after a lead sandwich or meeting a "Louiesville Slugger". Round 2, more popcorn and beer.

Best regards and safe travels
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:22 AM   #63
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Decatur , Georgia
How about training the dogs for AS travel?

Appreciate everyone's best practices for taking your dogs along.

Our new 25RB is arriving soon and we have 3 to get acclimated to the AS and to longer-term travel.

Any advice on getting them used to this experience? Initially, we may leave one or more at home (more on that later) but that's not the longer term plan.

Our 3 are very different at this point in terms of life and activity:
-a 13yo Aussie mix who's extremely well behaved but seriously slowing down.
-a 5yo Boxer mix. Well behaved, but not to confident. Must. Play. Ball. Often. (repeat)

and to make things really interesting there's the...
-4 month old Great Dane. We expect her to be ~110lbs when fully grown; she's 45lbs now. Crated trained and close to housebroken.

We're big hikers and expect them to come along when appropriate & allowed. We do realize that very soon we'll need to leave the Aussie at home and of course, we'll sadly be back to 2 dogs before too long.

Seemore? Rgentum? Any special Dane advice?
runswithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:28 AM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2005 33' Land Yacht Gas 33
pembroke pines , Florida
We currently have an older terrier and a younger moorkie. They both adore the rv and the travel. The older dog spends most of his time in his cage in bed, as this is where he is most comfortable, while the moorkie stays right with my wife and i. They never go out off the lease, and will enjoy sitting outside with us while on a longer the down. They lay on mats we put down for them and if we hike or sight see, they will stay in their cages, with a/c on. We are Floridians so a/c is standard m.o. but moorkie at first barked alot, so we keep windows closed. Have never worried about temps, except once, when it was cool morning, and then it heated up during the day, but this was in Tennessee and the dogs were fine. I like idea of temperature alarms and leaving name and cell number on door. I have seen signs about having pets inside on other rv's before. At night, the terrier sleeps in his cage, while the moorkie will sleep in our bed. She only get a to do this when we camp. Needless to say, I am always in favor of more camping. I respect rules about no dogs on trails as we have encountered snakes, bears, cliffs etc and it is in best interest to follow the rules. We pick up after our pets and properly dispose of waste, and rarely have i not seen campers do this. It is absolute joy to have the dogs with us when we camp, and they are great company. We love our dogs, as others love their dogs and we don't judge others as to how they let their pets behave, unless they become a nuisance, and this has never happened. My moorkie likes to sit on my wife's lap as I drive the rv to see where we are going. She is a funny and nutty dog, as this photo of her at ft wilderness shows
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161115_170049.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	303816  
normandgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:16 AM   #65
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
Leave the dog at home. I just can't imagine my life being run by a dog. I see people pushing there dogs around in a doggy stroller. Unbelievable! Let the firestorm begin.
Back to this guy. 'Cause yeah...dogs can just be left at home. This is not a cat we're talking about. Bless.

Follow our blog! https://theoverlanderproject.blogspot.com/
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:07 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
"I wish more small dog owners would adopt the stroller approach for their pooch. Our dog is a 110lb German Shepherd that has been attacked three different times while camping by small dogs that owners neglected to put on leash. So many small dogs have horrible manners because the owners have treated them as princesses instead of as a dog with rules."

Whoops! You've struck a chord. My rant is forthcoming:

Ain't that true. My pushing 150 lb Great Dane is probably the least aggressive dog I've seen in my 75 years of existence. But --- he is large & lots of people shy away from him, I presume out of fear because of his size. Ha! He may bark when somebody rings our front doorbell, but that's the extent of his aggression. He's a "Ferdinand the Bull" who just wants to smell the roses.

The little yappers, however, are different. Five pound "Precious Poopsie" has no reservations barking his/her head off and attacking BigDog, who just stands there and watches the show with indifference. I just "don't get" small dogs and their owners about this.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:28 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

2022 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Villa Park , Alabama
A lot of this discussion is contingent on the breed of the dog. Even my two Golden Retrievers, who are gentle and tame, will raise cain when confronted with a dangerous situation. They have in the past, and present a very convincing bark.
A pack of wolves would be just about the worst thing you could run into, but I'm confident that coyotes would look for something smaller to go after.
If I were at a park that didn't allow dogs on the trails, my boys could easily just hang out in the trailer. Goldens are so well insulated, it's rare that they ever get cold, but A/C is a must in the warm months.
drmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:37 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

2022 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Villa Park , Alabama
People who simply leave their dogs at home every time end up with dogs who suffer from mind-numbing boredom, and they resort to mischief because of too much pent up energy. I know not everyone can take their dogs with them everywhere they go, but those of us who do are rewarded with dogs who are well behaved because they get constant attention and on-the-spot behavior correction, as well as dogs who are mentally stimulated and physically exerted.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:11 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Enjoyed your reply, G & T; we have a big GSD at 90-100 pounds and a little one at 9-10 pounds and, they GO WITH us as part of our family!
They know that NPS doesn't allow them on trails; so, we go to state parks and they really like trekking with us.
The hardest part is disassembling the "crate" to get it into the AS, but once inside, the larger dog knows her place ... she is very easy with which to travel. The smaller one has to be chided to restrain himself! The GSD really does have four paw -drive if we needed her to pull ... LOL.
The cat stays home.
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:48 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Our normal process is that the dogs can stay in the AS if the outside temp is below 80 degrees, the shady side windows are open, awnings deployed if possible on the sunny side, and the vent fans are running to suck hot air out of the AS. The dogs are left for only brief periods, like a meal on the road at Cracker Barrel (grin).

If that's not the case, a responsible adult human MUST stay with them in the AS with A/C running. If we are on the road, same rules, except above 80, the responsible human and the dogs stay in the TV with engine and dash A/C running, and doors locked while someone else runs the errand, like getting take-out food, grocery shopping, etc.

Dogs can overheat very quickly, so that is why they are never, ever unattended in the heat while we are on the road. Furry buddies trust us to take care of them...

That ^
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:58 AM   #71
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
We are planning on trying to take our English Setter with us on some trips. We haven't yet. We have only camped with hookups a few times, so I won't have an option of leaving the AC on. I was thinking of leaving the windows cracked and the fantastic fans on. I've never really seen it get that hot in the trailer. Hopefully she will be able to go most places with us.
Like i said. Before you leave your dog sit in the trailer with just the fan on and see how hot it gets . Do It for an hour and see how hot it is. Please!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:04 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
When we have connectivity in the airstream we leave an iPad behind configured to automatically answer when we call so that we can have two way communication with our four-legged kids. They can hear and see us and we can see what’s going on in the trailer.

We try not to call so much that it disrupts their poker games.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:24 AM   #73
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
The whole reason we camp off the grid most of the time is so our dog can do everything we do. Not sure I understand why your dog has to be left in the trailer?
Certainly not very often. If we are hiking a trail that does not allow dogs. We also take a kayak on almost every trip. I don't think she'd be that comfortable in a kayak. Most trips are pretty short, but we have gone to different lakes to fish from the kayak. There would certainly be some times when she would be left in the trailer.
I camp off the grid also. Are you saying you've never left your dog in the trailer? Admirable for sure.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:37 AM   #74
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrvr View Post
Like i said. Before you leave your dog sit in the trailer with just the fan on and see how hot it gets . Do It for an hour and see how hot it is. Please!
We've been camping for many many years. But our camping has been limited to nice weather. I've always thought if I have to run the AC, and stay in the camper, why go? We head for the mountains in the summer to cool off. I haven't spent time sitting in the trailer in the middle of summer without the AC. Just a little common sense would prevent me from cooking my dog.. I do however think she will be able to tolerate temperatures that I can tolerate. If I'm outside mowing the yard in 90 degree weather, I think she will survive 90 degree temps in the AS. 100+, not good.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:13 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Temperature monitoring with cell phone notification is great, as long as you have service at your trailer and phone.

Don't rely on this if you are camping at Big Bend, Yellowstone, Badlands, Grand Tetons, Ocala National Forest, Isle Royale to name a few locations I've been to without service.

Carlsbad Caverns provides a kennel service, as they are quite adamant about leaving your pet in a vehicle while visiting the caves. From their website: "You are not allowed to leave your pet unattended in vehicles if the outdoor temperature will reach 70ºF (21ºC) and above, as it creates a danger to the animal. On warm days temperatures in closed motor vehicles can rise quickly to levels dangerous to the life and health of animals. Unattended pets will be removed from vehicles at the discretion of law enforcement if the animal is showing signs of distress."

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:34 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by greghoro View Post
Temperature monitoring with cell phone notification is great, as long as you have service at your trailer and phone.

Don't rely on this if you are camping at Big Bend, Yellowstone, Badlands, Grand Tetons, Ocala National Forest, Isle Royale to name a few locations I've been to without service.

Carlsbad Caverns provides a kennel service, as they are quite adamant about leaving your pet in a vehicle while visiting the caves. From their website: "You are not allowed to leave your pet unattended in vehicles if the outdoor temperature will reach 70ºF (21ºC) and above, as it creates a danger to the animal. On warm days temperatures in closed motor vehicles can rise quickly to levels dangerous to the life and health of animals. Unattended pets will be removed from vehicles at the discretion of law enforcement if the animal is showing signs of distress."

Greg

Good Point and good to know. My wife and I have no experience with national parks out west. We will after the summer!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:38 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Certainly not very often. If we are hiking a trail that does not allow dogs. We also take a kayak on almost every trip. I don't think she'd be that comfortable in a kayak. Most trips are pretty short, but we have gone to different lakes to fish from the kayak. There would certainly be some times when she would be left in the trailer.

I camp off the grid also. Are you saying you've never left your dog in the trailer? Admirable for sure.

I was hoping I could find a picture of Lupe out on a lake in a kayak, but the only one I could find was this one:

Name:	IMG_0037.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	352.4 KB
ID:	303867

I'll admit, with Lupe, Nancy and I in the kayak all at the same time, it is a little too crowded to fish. Since Nancy isn't that interested in fishing from a kayak, she is usually willing to hike around the shore while Lupe and I fish from the kayak. And, with Lupe getting too hot or too bored to stay in the kayak for very long in between swims, I really don't get that much fishing in anyway. But it is fun and I do occasionally catch a fish.

I'll also admit that I am way out on the fringes with my dog. I'd rather hike up some nondescript hill with Lupe than go see Delicate Arch and leave her in the car or the trailer. But Nancy convinced me that Delicate Arch was worth seeing, so she watched Lupe while I went to see Delicate Arch. It was worth seeing.

What's right for me isn't right for everybody. Heck, before I met Lupe I wasn't joined at the hip with a dog. There are dogs like labs that tolerate being alone better than other kinds of dogs like border collies. Just follow some of the more thoughtful suggestions above, and you should be fine.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:43 AM   #78
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Kate loves anything that flies, and she's got a lot of energy. I'm afraid we'd all end up in the water if anything flew by.. She also doesn't need a sweater when it's below 30.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5163.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	444.0 KB
ID:	303868  

Old 02-10-2018, 10:33 AM   #79
4 Rivet Member

2022 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Villa Park , Alabama
Yeah, I think we're beating a dead horse. Don't leave dogs in a hot airstream, got it. Take the dogs hiking with you when you can.
I also prescribe to the theory that we are creatures of habit, we drive away from extreme cold or heat. In the winter we flock South, and in the summer....up we go....either North, or up into the nice cool mountains. Death Valley in the summer sounds just plain stupid. That being said, my dogs (a pair of Goldens) are most comfortable at 50 degrees. So, whenever we leave them in the trailer, like say we go into town for a dinner night out, we leave them with the A/C on high. We come home to an airstream suitable for hanging slabs of meat, and two very comfortable dogs lounging away on the bed and sofa. But if the power at the campground were to fail, they'd be OK, because the ambient air temperature is around 65-70*, and the sun has set.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:31 AM   #80
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
If you haven’t seen a chart like this, google “Pet In Car” and you will find them from all over the world done differently, even fun, but facts are sticky things. You mowing in 80 degrees is a world of difference from being in a tin can in 80 degrees.

Also this link talks about leaving them with the windows open
https://www.preventivevet.com/dogs/c...misconceptions
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3373.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	303990  
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote