Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2007, 11:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Question What states require RVs to scale at truck inspections?

I'm a truck driver new to the airstream life. I've seen some signs posted that recreational vehicles must weigh but being in a truck, I never really paid any attention to where I was. I don't want my maiden voyage ruined by a DOT officer coming after me. Any suggestions on where this information can be found would sure be appreciated.
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Mr. 3DN,

First, welcome to the Forums. Don't be afraid to use the search feature as it works very well.

AFAIK, I have never seen a sign requiring RVs to weigh. I full-timed in a 40' Monaco Dynasty Diesel MoHo for 5 years and never weighed nor saw a posting to do so in the 40 or so states that I traveled thru.

Also, I have never seen an RV pulled over by a DOT officer in the years I have been RVing.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:52 AM   #3
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Good thing too. With what my wife packs.........
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:10 AM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Only times I have ever seen a requirement for RV's to pull in to a station was for agricultural inspections and IIRC that was along I-10 in Florida. Oh and going into the tunnels up around Norfolk to make sure the portable LP tanks are turned off.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Only times I have ever seen a requirement for RV's to pull in to a station was for agricultural inspections and IIRC that was along I-10 in Florida. Oh and going into the tunnels up around Norfolk to make sure the portable LP tanks are turned off.

Aaron
Aaron, where on I-10 in Florida? I have traveled I-10 going to Disney from New Orleans numerous times and have not seen it. Is it a temporary site or seasonal?
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:31 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
Aaron, where on I-10 in Florida? I have traveled I-10 going to Disney from New Orleans numerous times and have not seen it. Is it a temporary site or seasonal?
He may mean I-75, and possibly I-95. Therre is definitely an agricultural inspection station there, trucks, trailers, RV's, even U-Hauls have to stop for inspection. I knocked an inspector out with a satellite dish once at the station on I-75...
Old 08-01-2007, 06:40 AM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have traveled extensively with Lucy, especially in Florida. We have never made an inspection stop, and have never been stopped by authorities. The agricultural inspection stations in Florida require trailers and rental trucks to stop. I have never seen a sign requiring RV's to stop.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:41 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
He may mean I-75, and possibly I-95. Therre is definitely an agricultural inspection station there, trucks, trailers, RV's, even U-Hauls have to stop for inspection. I knocked an inspector out with a satellite dish once at the station on I-75...
Several years ago driving from Arizona to Florida we drove into Florida on I-10. We had to go thru an agricultural inspection and at the time we had a U-haul trailer. Also, I think at that time if you had out of state plates and or you were knowingly bringing in different plants (not native to Florida) they wanted to check you out.
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:18 AM   #9
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
There is a Homeland Security inspection going over the Hoover Dam...but that's the only time I've ever been required to stop and have been "boarded" by goverment officials. They spent more time checking it out and asking questions than "inspecting".
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:38 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Florida Agricultural Inspection

The FL law 570.15 states:
Quote:
It is unlawful for the driver of any vehicle, other than one exempted in sub-subparagraph (1)(a)1.g. or one authorized pursuant to subsection (5), to pass any official agricultural inspection station without first stopping and submitting the vehicle for inspection. A violation of this subsection constitutes a misdemeanor of the second degree....
The only vehicles that seem to be exempted are private passenger automobiles with no trailer in tow.

Here's a link to an interesting history on Florida Agricultural Inspection: Bureau of Uniform Services, AgLaw - FDACS

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Sounds like the AG inspections they have in Kalifornia when you enter from Oregon. Everyone has to stop.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Sounds like the AG inspections they have in Kalifornia when you enter from Oregon. Everyone has to stop.
That's true when you enter California by road from anywhere. Everyone has to stop. I've never seen a weigh station that requires RV's to stop though. Usually the sign says NO RV's.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:05 AM   #13
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
The one that I saw was on the 'bama side of Pensacola if memory serves me. It was right after Katrina and they were hit or miss. I was staying in Pensacola and driving into Mobile on a daily basis And there used to be one up on the north side of Jacksonville on A1A too (at least I think that is where I was )

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:38 PM   #14
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I also have never seen an RV that had to go through weight inspections.....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:21 PM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Regarding the inspection of RV's at Florida truck weigh stattions and Agricultural Inspection, I have made a couple of phone calls over to Tallahassee.

I have contacted the Florida Department of Transportation. I was told that RV are NOT required to stop at weigh stations.

I also called the Law Enforcement Division of the Florida Department of Agricuilture. I was told that RV's are NOT required to stop at the agricultural inspection stations.

I think that this information clears up any confusion about this isue in Florida.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Thanks Brian for clearing this up, well at least in Florida.

On my last trip out of state I didn't stop at the inspection on my way back, because I didn't see any other RV going in. I did stop years ago (1982) when I first came to Florida pulling a camping trailer. The inspector asked a couple of questions and waived us on.

When I saw this thread this morning, I thought I would do a little internet research, and came up with the two references I posted. It's curious that the law on the books says you have to stop. I guess they just don't enforce it anymore.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:00 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
RV's do NOT have to stop at weigh stations. ONLY commercial licenced vehilces. I have a close friend who works for the DOT. I have ask him this very question. The only time an RV would ever be ask to stop anywhere is for OTHER reasons...weight stations is NOT one of them. Ag. inspections at borders...etc. The only reason according to the DOT an RV would ever be weighed is if it was in a wreck and the OVERWEIGHT condition contributed to the accident. This came steight from the DOT officer. I have also ask the STATE Patrol...they gave me the same answers.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:19 PM   #18
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
No inspection into California

Quote:
That's true when you enter California by road from anywhere. Everyone has to stop. I've never seen a weigh station that requires RV's to stop though. Usually the sign says NO RV's.
We make at least two pilgrimages to California every year - always enter from Oregon via I5 - The agricultural inspection station near Hornibrook has a permanent by-pass for non-commercial vehicles. Our last trip was in May and the by-pass was still there . . .

On our last three trips down to the hobo rally in Blythe, we were waived through the agricultural inspection station along I-10 when returning from Quarzite. Cars & RV's were routed through the left (closed) gates . . .

At this time (unless this has just recently changed) non-commercial vehicles are only subject to an inspection when entering California by land from Mexico.
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:15 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

The only one I have ever seen that I felt like I should stop at is at the Florida state line on US1/301 coming out of south Georgia. The signage there justs lists "trailers" on the sign - doesn't specify what type, so I always stop to be on the safe side. They have always just waved me thru from inside the station - they never even bother to step outside.
HP9K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:19 AM   #20
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I traveled 4 times now with the trailer from the Keys to NY and I know the Ag check point very well on Rt95.

THe reason I know it is because a few years back I was driving a 15' box truck it's like a giant van.
I flew right by there the police stopped me in Ga, I may have been going a bit quick.

He blasted me for not stopping made me open up the back door took a quick look and said the following.

If you're carrying anything for resale to others you need a DOT registration, if it's for your own personal use then you don't.

He said it in such a way that I knew I had to answer him "yes all these pet supplies are for my own use"

He was a nice guy and let me go.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote