Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #121
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Reason is how deep the crease, and how dimpled. The dimples could be right on the edge of poking through.
Take a look at the magnification, think you're right, could leak...

Quote:
I see the ding continues down the body above the vista views.
Very cosmetic on the main body panel above the windows... Now worries there. For me, its all about the what makes an airstream which is the curves and the hybrid aircraft/ship style windows.

Quote:
The one curved segment should be $1600 or so. (I had some done in 2007 for $1200 each at the factory.)
I feel for you - and admire how you're keeping your spirits up.
I also think you're a good parent. If that had happened to me I'd likely have written "my late children lowered the hoop..."
Paula

Definitely not worth an insurance claim then pricewise. We're going to be in Dayton Ohio next summer. Might leave the Eddie with Airstream for a week and stay with family.

What's calming my nerves is I still got that new toy glow going big time... and over little stuff like the LED reading lights. How cool are those!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-08-16 at 12.24.42 PM.png
Views:	143
Size:	952.1 KB
ID:	165962  
Old 08-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #122
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
After camping in a pop up for many years my parents bought our 1976 Fiberglass Trillium Travel Trailer when my brother and I became teenagers and didn’t have travel with the parents any longer.
Their first trip out was only about 30 min from home to test out the little glass egg. They had a nice grassy site with a moderate slope. My father spent a good long time (his words were more colourful) backing the trailer on to a high mound to put the trailer in the perfect position on the campsite. For some reason my mother’s first priority upon arriving at a campsite it to put a table cloth on the picnic table. She went in the trailer to get the table cloth, while my father was unhitching. Since a Trillium is so small and light it has a wheel on the tong jack so you can maneuver the trailer by hand if necessary. As soon as the coupler cleared the ball, the trailer began to roll away down the slope toward the other side of the campsite, with my mother and her table cloth still in the trailer. The trailer rolled about 20 feet before it began to spin in circles with my mother holding on in the doorway screaming at my father who was chasing the trailer down the hill. Somehow the trailer missed several trees and came to rest in an uneven dip at least 30 feet from my father’s perfect spot on the mound. My mother was fine but refused to let my father move the trailer again.

My brother and I drove out to the campsite the next afternoon to see how our parents we enjoying their little green trailer. As soon as we were out of the car my brother asked “why’d you put the trailer down here in this dip instead of up there on that nice mound?” My mother said that’s where the trailer wanted to be, my father said not to ask why. I took over a year for us to find out the whole story.

Now my parents have a 34’ fifth-wheel, I hope my marriage is as strong as my parents’ is!
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #123
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
Fix it. It would drive me crazy. I have to keep my toy in good shape.
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #124
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
One day old new trailer. I'd probably fix the front panel anyway.

I could ignore the scratch above the windows below the awning rail. Speaking of the awning rail, an awning would help distract from the scratch.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
...>snip<.... we purchase a long extension cord before setting off. Evan Weaver, we are grateful.
We also have a 25' 30-amp extension cord, and it's saved our bacon a few times...and we have also lent it to friends whose shore power cord couldn't quite reach the electrical post. There's one state park in particular that we go to where the sites were laid out by some who obviously had never been camping with an RV...everything was in the wrong place...the electricity, the water, the picnic table, the fire pit...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #126
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
Stagr- Get it fixed. Little scratches and dings are one thing but that hurts.

As far as I go...What happens in Oopsville, stays in Oopsville.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #127
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
I could ignore the scratch above the windows below the awning rail. Speaking of the awning rail, an awning would help distract from the scratch.
That is Genius!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosch View Post
As far as I go...What happens in Oopsville, stays in Oopsville.
Great words of advice there. Airstream takes reservations for work for 2013 in January so I'll book a summer trip up to Ohio next year.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #128
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by StagrLee View Post
That is Genius!

Great words of advice there. Airstream takes reservations for work for 2013 in January so I'll book a summer trip up to Ohio next year.
I appreciate the thanks!

Now you need to post some photos of the rest of the Airstream.

We want to see the nice parts too!
Old 08-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #129
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
San Francisco , California
Had my first major oops yesterday.

Pulled the Sovereign up to a temporary storage place in the Hollywood hills -- was initially nervous about the winding drive and the incline, but took things slow and had no mishaps...

...until the final right turn, a couple hundred feet from my destination. It was a tight one, and I ended up getting cozy with an inconveniently placed fire hydrant on the curb.

Now I can't open the front door because the door frame and the door itself got all mangled together. Hoping a pry bar will fix this.

(The fire hydrant was irritatingly unharmed.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (2).jpg
Views:	168
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	166550  
whitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #130
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitney View Post
(The fire hydrant was irritatingly unharmed.)
Just goes to show… Even in Hollywood, real life ain't like the movies! If it was, that fire hydrant would be America's newest geyser, rivalling Old Faithful in Yellowstone.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #131
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
1st day of owning a brand new Eddie Bauer (yesterday)...
Forgot the kids lowered the basketball hoop in the driveway.
Now I'm in the debate on fixing it with an insurance claim ($1K deductible) or leaving it as a constant reminder...
I can't tell from the picture, but I would at least consult with a vacuum dent removal expert. If that is not fruitful, seal along the score line / rivet line with the new micro sealing roof tape and plan a trip to an AS repair facility.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #132
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
While not really MY oops, something almost made me yesterday:

I went by my local RV salvage on Saturday in order to pick up some BAL stabilizers and came upon a 95 Classic that had been rolled over. It had one perfect rock guard and one that had a few dents but could have been easily fixed. I was told $50 for the pair and gladly accepted. I also took all four stabilizers and told the guy I'd be back in an hour to pick everything up.

When I got there, the stabilizers were on the counter but the rock guards were nowhere to be found. Apparently his non english speaking employee didn't understand him when he said "he wants these and the stabilizers" and the young man put a forklift arm through the good guard in order to lift the trailer on it's side so that he could remove the stabilizers.

Needless to say, both guards are destroyed now and I got my $50 back. I couldn't believe what had happened... it would have taken less than 3 minutes to pull those off myself.

Taylormade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #133
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Doesn't that hurt!

DAve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post
When I got there, the stabilizers were on the counter but the rock guards were nowhere to be found. Apparently his non english speaking employee didn't understand him when he said "he wants these and the stabilizers" and the young man put a forklift arm through the good guard in order to lift the trailer on it's side so that he could remove the stabilizers.

Needless to say, both guards are destroyed now and I got my $50 back. I couldn't believe what had happened... it would have taken less than 3 minutes to pull those off myself.
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #134
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
1st day of owning a brand new Eddie Bauer (yesterday)...
Forgot the kids lowered the basketball hoop in the driveway.
Now I'm in the debate on fixing it with an insurance claim ($1K deductible) or leaving it as a constant reminder...
Hi, have it fixed and ask for the old part to hang in your garage. I call them souvenirs. I used to hang car parts in my garage.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #135
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Some good "OOPS" stories on this site. RV-OOPS Awards, 2009

It is always good to hear these incidents happening to someone else.

Then, when they happen to you, it will refresh your "I should have known" memory.

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #136
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
OK, guess I'll contribute

Let's see, do not buy cheap black chocks. You can not see they are there and will flatten very easily

Ah, the going forward, wondering why it is taking more throttle till it hits you - stabilizing jacks are still down!

Do not leave the window guards un latched thinking the leaves will not get packed in - wind catches the guards and blows them wide open till they leave a nice crease on other side of hinge

And my best one to date: We were at GA Memorial SP, getting ready to do the black tank thing. Now this park has a roughly 8" concrete wall all the way around the sewer inlet for dumping. I use 2 - 90° clear elbows followed by the hose so I am able to see when all is cleaned out. Well, we had been there for about 12 days and lets just say the black tank was full of it! Now with the 8" wall, I could not just connect the 2 elbows going down, could not attach them to the right side of connection due to the black tank pull handle being there sooo had to connect on the left side. OK that looks good, pull the handle, watch as the, you know what, comes rushing out and the elbow starts to turn down from the weight of, you know what, then splat! all is going everywhere Ok, let's hurry up and get this washed down before anyone else sees it, Wait how can you when there is a wall all the way around the sewer inlet? You can not!! Soo, here we are trying to pick? some of it up and the rest washing away to the grass. What a mess Never, EVER connect an elbow off of the left side. What was I thinking, it goes on clockwise and Will come off going counter clockwise.

Next
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #137
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Close 'em...

"Do not leave the window guards un latched thinking the leaves will not get packed in - wind catches the guards and blows them wide open till they leave a nice crease on other side of hinge."

RLS,

Quick Fix....

Bob
Old 01-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #138
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
What a mess Never, EVER connect an elbow off of the left side. What was I thinking, it goes on clockwise and Will come off going counter clockwise.

Next
Hi, I always connect my sewer hose in the down position or to the right. I now know, thanks to you, to never connect it to the left.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:03 AM   #139
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
This is why I got clear section that is a 'straight' coupler. Being dyslexic I don't have to worry putting it on pointing to the left and having it come unlatched.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #140
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
"Do not leave the window guards un latched thinking the leaves will not get packed in - wind catches the guards and blows them wide open till they leave a nice crease on other side of hinge."

RLS,

Quick Fix....

Bob
Bob, thank you so much for the link and idea. I do like that and will be going to Lowes this week-end.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote