Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #81
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
Never let them take a picture.

So my oops also came on our first adventure. We had just inherited a '92 from a dear family friend who in her late 80's decided it was time to get it back on the road. It had been in storage for the past 10 years and we knew it needed lots of work. but how can you pass up free? We traveled to South Carolina to meet the wonderful new addition to the family. With all the excitement we decided it would be a good idea to set up and take a family photo with the AS in the background to send along with a thank you note to the previous owner.
We were given the trailer with all the contents and the understanding that once we got the trailer back to NC the previous owner would look through to see if there was anything she wanted to keep. We were having great fun discovering all the hidden treasures. When I found the patio lights and the small step stool, I knew I had to add them to the picture to show we were camping in style. After having a neighboring camper show us how to unroll the ZipDee, I began stringing the lights. My daughter always the cautious one opened the bathroom window to remind me to be careful on the latter. I am a bit accident prone and have already had two back surgeries. I assured her that this was not much more than a step stool so I would be fine. About that time I moved the step a few more feet to the right and grabbed the end of the light string and started up.
Wham!
I raised up just as I turned around and caught the edge of the open window across the bridge of my nose pealing about 3/4 of an inch of skin off. Fortunately my glasses did not shatter and they stopped the gouge from going further.

We then began to search the camper to see if there was a first aid kit available.

There was much reminding that I had just been told to be careful.

Well we did take the picture, and we did send the note to the PO. We are just fortunate that her eyesight was not good enough to pick up the big band-aid across my face.

That was October and I still have a nice scar to remind me how sharp the open edge of the windows can be. The nice part of my oops, I will heal, aluminum does not heal as easily.
We have this photo hanging in the trailer in a nice frame the DW picked up on that first trip to always serve as a reminder.

Lets just hope that our luck/ knowledge improves from here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2649.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	155127   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-10-23_09-21-48_587.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	155128  

'92 Excella 29'
'20 Ram 2500
AIR # 59179
Chillpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #82
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Nice looking unit Jonathan.
Just to note that, I have had some similar experiences and I bleed easily too.
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #83
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
"oh, yeah, this trailer is 8' longer than my old one....I forgot..."

Need I say more?

Attachment 155065
Oh! I think this would make me sick if I did this! Sorry!
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Mod

Oh! I think this would make me sick if I did this! Sorry!
All better. Insurance paid and it was repaired at the Mothership. They did a great job.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
My worst oops was today... parking the trailer in our driveway, unhooking from the tow vehicle, wheel on the ground.. and the driveway turned out to be not as flat as I thought. The trailer started rolling backwards, towards the (big custom barn-type rolling) garage doors 3 feet away. Fortunately, I hadn't disconnected the safety chains, and they arrested the rearward motion. There is an unforgettable queasy feeling of helplessness as your 1 1/2 ton trailer starts moving on it's own and beyond your control, and loud cursing does nothing to stop it. NOW there is a big log under one of the rear wheels to keep the rig in place. I filled the big gash in the gravel driveway where the front wheel dragged before the chains took hold. Lesson learned: chock the wheels first, it might be steeper than you think.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
You know...I'm really really glad I didn't have this thread to read before I bought the Bambino...

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:59 PM   #87
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
This is what happens when you forget to strap down the TV on the articulating arm before going on a drive:
KerriO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #88
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
Here's a pic of Mr. Mod reinstalling our rogue wheel. It was cold and windy but, as always, he got the job done. Kudos to Mr. Mod.

Name:   fixing tire.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  10.9 KB
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
You know...I'm really really glad I didn't have this thread to read before I bought the Bambino...
I wonder how many of us would have been discouraged from buying our trailers if we knew some of what was involved. It's kind of like getting a dog, if you think about it too much you won't make the leap, but once you have 'em, you'd want it no other way.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #90
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
one thing leads to another

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
All better. Insurance paid and it was repaired at the Mothership. They did a great job.
And if I remember correctly, this prompted a brand new thread on wireless cameras (that I have saved).

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
My wife was guiding me while backing up trying to get out of a tight space. She was so concerned about me hitting a water faucet that she forgot to look up...bam...I hit a tree branch in the top curbside corner panel and but a softball sized dent in it. She was mortified...as was I. Got it home and popped out the dent with a toilet plunger. It looks really good except for two small hardly noticeable dings that I can't get out. It sure made us both feel better to see the big dent gone!
Old 04-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Probably shouldn't admit this one, but the day we bought our airstream, the PO had a drive to his storage that had about a 3 foot drop off one side into a storm drain ditch. Had had the Tundra about a week and as I was backing I managed to put my front right wheel over the edge... So there I am one wheel on level ground, the other 3 feet lower. And all be darned if the Tundra didn't back out of that as if it were part goat. Just reinforced my decision to buy a Tundra. Of course the best part was when DW said i'm glad you did that before you hooked up MY airstream!
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Be careful loading and locking refrigerator..

Thought I'd already contributed to this thread... Picture will add the next thousand words.. Moral is: Don't load heavy rolling bottles of Tequila and Margarita Mix on sides on bottom shelf if you're going to take bouncy winding roads to the river... This mess actually easier to clean up, since door could be re-mounted and no liquid spills.. It was kind of a shock to see door and contents scattered all over the floor. Prior lesson (apparently forgotten) involved SOB Trailer and spilled bottle of maple syrup and broken jar of dill pickles covering vinlyl flooring after door popped loose a hundred miles or so before we stopped to check...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fridge_Door_Failure.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	291.0 KB
ID:	156161  

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #94
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Wainscott , The Hamptons, Long Island
I've found that releasing tension and removing weight distribution bars gets way easier if you remove the cotter pin first. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why I couldn't release at the end of a long day. Thankfully my buddy had the answer and shared it with me after he stopped laughing.
Beer Snob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #95
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Newbie lesson: Don't use the oven to store extra stuff.....

Shortly after we got our Minuet we packed up and went to a rally waaaay off the beaten path. DH thought it would be nice to bring along a bunch of popcorn to cook over fire - you know the kind; a tin pie pan with popcorn and oil, an expanding foil top, shaken over heat until it puffs to perfection.

The problem is that those popcorn things are big - the handles are pretty long and he bought 6. The Minuet is tiny and has limited storage space so.... I figured we could travel with them in the oven and then take them out when we got there and store them in the car until they were needed. Made sense at the time.

The predictable happened. We got to the rally late, set up in the dark and went to bed. Next morning DH gets up early and thoughtfully mixes up some corn muffins for breakfast, turns up the stove to preheat and a few minutes later the oven door is being pushed open by expanding popcorn. The smoke detector goes off (burning paper from popcorn containers), Hubby opens trailer windows and door to get some fresh air and fills the campground with the smell of burning popcorn and four letter words.

Don't store stuff in your oven.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
For a long trip to Alaska last summer, we loaded up the shelves under the sink with all kinds of cans and jars. Well right as we crossed the border into AK, after the worst section of the road, we found the shelf gave way and broke jars of Indian tikka sauce under the cabinets, and stove. It took quite a while to clean up and things still smelled like tikka sauce for a long time.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #97
1 Rivet Member

Tampa , Florida
Really nice ooppppsss stories. I'm a newbie here and I enjoy reading stories and post from you guys.
john121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #98
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Sarasota , Florida
We had an early morning start from our campground in southern Washington heading for the Oregon beaches. At one point, crossing a metal grate bridge, there was an awful racket behind us. I commented that it was the noisiest bridge of this type I had ever crossed. After setting up in our Waldport CG, I went around back to get the sewer hose. No sewer hose, in fact no pull out drawer under the bumper. Drawer, hoses, fittings, all on the road in Washington! The evidence gave away my careless fastening of the drawer retainer. Those drawers are really noisy sliding along a metal grate bridge.
artwester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #99
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Welcome to the Air Forums.
Hope you never have anything to contribute to this thread.
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by john121 View Post
Really nice ooppppsss stories. I'm a newbie here and I enjoy reading stories and post from you guys.
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:59 AM   #100
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Quote:
Originally Posted by john121 View Post

This is probably the most instructive thread on the Forums, good choice for your first post.
Jocularity rocks!!

Bob