Old 11-30-2003, 09:03 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Half asleep in Mexico

Place: Campground by the gulf in San Carlos, Mexico.

Time: 7AM.

Condition: at least half asleep and water hose still hooked up.

Task: Move forward a foot to get off of a levelling block so that I could stow it.

Result: Broke off the PVC water supply pipe at ground level. No park personnel anywhere around at that hour. Geyser about 5 feet high from stub of water pipe. A growing lake next to my site.

My caravan left a few minutes later. I held my breath till we were at least an hour away from there, expecting a federale to stop me at any time.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 11:03 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

#1 OOOPS

My first trip out with my 1968 A/S was the drive off error. I got 20 miles down the road, at 5 am, when a car pulled up along side of me waving his arms. He said I had a long cable following me. I guess maybe it could have been a very thin snake?, but I knew instantly what I had done. The worst part was the trip back to the house, as I had recently installed a new garage door, and I had run the cable under it. All it cost me was a new cable and a few hour delay. What a start for my first trip. PJ

Old 12-03-2003, 08:27 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Winterize your unit before the temp outside drops to 29 F degrees, it is dark, cold, and you are holding a flashlight in one hand and in the other a gallon of antifreeze pouring it in the tank, and wondering why you didn't do it earlier.

Now, it is crystal clear. I am an obsessive-compulsive procrastinator.

Other than that, no "oops" with A/S. A couple with my vehicles -- you know the usual stuff, like not seeing deer running into the car, etc.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:44 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Round Rock , Texas
Oopsies? I don't make no stinkin' oopsies!

At least, not very often.

Let's see. First trip in the SOB. Being a newbie, I had the trailer brake controller set far too sensitive. Pull into a gravel drive in a campground south of Big Timber, MT, and lock up the trailer brakes in front of the owner. He was not amused, as he had just levelled the gravel a couple hours earlier.

After a day at Buttonwillow Raceway I packed my son's motorcycle into the back of the van, hooked up the trailer, and drove off with the trailer door wide open. Fortunately one of my customers got my attention before I got out of the pits and pulled onto the highway.

Last May we had a severe thunderstorm hit Northern California as my wife and I were returning from a shopping trip in Chico. I was worried about windows, etc. leaking in my 1965 AS, so instead of heading straight to a restaurant for dinner I drove to the RV park to check on my AS. Sure enough, everything was dry until I opened the door and the rain blew in behind me. Took three bath towels to dry out the mess.

But the biggest mistake I made was buying the SOB. I could have bought a nice 30-foot AS (used) for the down payment on that POS.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Question

Sorry for the newbie question, but what is SOB? I'm wracking my brain and coming up empty - I just can't imagine that so many of you would refer to your Airstreams as "the Sonuvabitch."

Brad
Old 12-03-2003, 08:53 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally posted by bredlo
Sorry for the newbie question, but what is SOB? I'm wracking my brain and coming up empty - I just can't imagine that so many of you would refer to your Airstreams as "the Sonuvabitch."

Brad
An "SOB" is what we Airstreamers call non-Airstream trailers. It is an acronym for Some Other Brand.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 10:02 PM   #21
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Okay, I have touched on this on another thread, but I will elaborate here, for your amusement...
Back in 1985, I and a couple of buddies, decided to rent an RV and take a vacation, see the fall colors, and quaff a few beers.
All went well into West Virginia, and we were going to head home the next morning. As you know, late fall can be quite cold in them there parts, and we had had a couple of days and nights that were unseasonably cold, with lows in the single digits, and highs in the mid 30's. We pulled up to the dump station, and discovered the black water tank had frozen. I innocently thought it was only frozen a little, near the drain, and we would dump the tank that evening, and all would be well. Not so. It had frozen hard enough to crack the bottom of the black water tank completely apart near the drain, and the only thing holding that part of the tank in, was the frozen contents...
We made it to Macon Georgia that night, I tried to once again drain the black water tank, to no avail. It was a little warmer here, maybe low 40's, but it froze again that night.
Off we went next morning to sunny Florida, where it was a balmy 75.
Somewhere south of Ocala, on the Interstate, I noticed a kind of blue fog coming from behind the SOB, and stopped to investigate.What I found was no drain valve for the black water tank, and of course the contents were all over the road, other cars, the back of the motor home, etc. I can only imagine how other drivers felt to be driving through the blue showers behind the MH...A few of them let me know in no uncertain terms what they thought of the situation...
Why the SOB manufacturer didn't put that tank where it wouldn't be so prone to freezing, I will never know. It was sure embarassing.

Terry
Old 12-03-2003, 10:55 PM   #22
AV8
2 Rivet Member

>It is an acronym for Some Other Brand.

And I thought SOB stood for “Square Old Box”…

The only reason I am currently exempt from bone head moves, I don't have my trailer yet ;-)
Old 12-04-2003, 12:43 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to fundave
redneck oops

When we got our 61 Safari, it had a few windows that needed replacing(thankfully not the dreded Corning glass). So after measuring and remeasuring, I was able to install the new glass.
Then I decided to install window film on ALL the windows, figuring that the silver tint w/ the Airstream would not only accent the trailer but would provide some cooling to the trailer. As I own and operate a glass tinting company, I used 6ml safety film which would retain the glass fragments incase of breakage...wouldnt want more broken glass on the floor.
So... when we finally got our new gem ready for its first adventure w/ my wife and I we packed up the trailer and locked the door from the outside(so it wouldnt blow open). I decided to go back in the house for another beer while the van cooled down.
Finally, after a restroom break for the wife, we set out to Vortex Springs near PonceDeleon FL. After the 2 hr trip... we got there only to relize that I had left the Safari keys on the coffee table.
First I figured ah hell I'll just unhitch the Safari and drive back, while my wife and kids enjoyed the springs only to find out that I had also locked the hitch to the ball( in case some one would attempt to steal our new gem I guess?) sooooo...
I then set about to break one of the windows...damn that tint sure works.... Thankfully, the deadbolt has a knob on the inside, or we would have been crawling thru the window all weekend.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:54 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

locked out

I had a similar lockout to FunDave. On my 2nd camping trip last month, my cousin and I had left sunny Mustang Island State park (temp in the 80's) wearing our bathing shorts and t shirts. We traveled NW 250 miles to Lost Maples State Park in Texas to check out the fall color. During the drive a blue norther came in, temps dropped to 42 degrees. We stopped for lunch and to to get some jeans and sweat shirts on only to discover the ##### door knob just spun around without engaging. No problem I think, just have to quit shivering and take a screw driver and pliers and pry a jalousie window pane out, reach in and unlatch. Only problem was all the tools were in the trailer too. Only solution was to jog over to the Walmart, but the tools, and jog back. At least the jog warmed us up some. Note to self... carry tools in truck, not trailer. Mike
Old 12-04-2003, 12:54 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
Several summers ago, I had just finished polishing my 1963 Overlander (days and days spent in the hot Mississippi sun). The awning was shot so I cut the material off of the roller an the gutter on the trailer. Since there was no cloth to roll up and keep the awning frame against the trailer, I took some electrical cord and tied the awning frame to itself so it wouldn't fold out.

I deceided to bring it about 5 miles to show it off to my parents. On its maiden newly shiney voyage, I looked back in the truck mirror and saw part of the belly pan trim flagging back and forth in the wind. I pulled over, got out, and discovered that the whole awning frame was gone!!!

Apparently, the electrical wire I used to tie it back was "slippery" and the knots slipped. I found what was left of the frame in a ditch on the side of the road several miles back.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:57 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Frozen black tank

I also ride HD motorcycles, and early on one learns not to follow behind an RV, because of the funny tasting blue spray that comes from the back.
Old 12-04-2003, 01:01 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
Here is another tale of woe I posted last year:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...&threadid=2641
Old 12-04-2003, 10:32 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Cool Strange twist

YUCK...
Quote:
I also ride HD motorcycles, and early on one learns not to follow behind an RV, because of the funny tasting blue spray that comes from the back.
I always THOUGHT that HD "flew" thru the clouds..More to the truth, that "funny tasting blue stuff" should've been frozen..lmao

Another excellent reason why not to be travel'in at night...

ciao

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote