Old 02-07-2006, 04:50 PM   #1
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Thumbs up What Is Your Dream Trip?

I'm an old Minnesoota boy that has seen a lot of the world and would like to go see it all again.

My dream trip for some time now is to journey to Boston to visit my Wife's Sister and Husband and then begin to EAT my way south.

You see, I love sea food! I would eat all the Lobster I could stand and New England Clam Chowder, and then move South until the cuisine changes.

I lived on the East Coast for nearly 20 years of my life and I found that every 100 miles, the cuisine is different. In New York and New Jersey its Manhatton Clam Chowder and lots of clams. In Maryland its Blue Crabs both soft-shelled and hard-shelled, steamed, fried, oh I'm driving myself crazy. I never should have moved back here on the Great Plains!! I miss the oysters and all the other sea food.

The other thing is the History of the place. In 20 years, I was unable to visit all the Historic sites just in the Maryland, Virginia area and would love to visit more.

I also left a lot of friends that I would like to see again.

I would plan my trip to leave New England in mid-summer and arrive in Florida well fed, and in time for Winter.

Of course, I would have to get my Wife to retire and agree to this, but the retiring part is the hard part. I know she would like the trip!

Well, it's my dream, but I'm beganning to wonder if it will happen before I get too old.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 05:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Jim,

Sounds wonderful! Having been lucky enough to have been almost around the world (northern half) I find myself longing to take an entire summer to do the Alaska trip. I have visions of streams full of fish, mountain vistas, dark forests and lots of bears. Having hunted Alaska previously, I won't be surprised by the swarms of State Birds (mosquitos) either. I'm thinking that three months should do it if the money doesn't run out and someone can take care of the bill paying while I'm gone. The logistics of bill paying while away is the biggest hurdle to overcome and I know where there's a will there's a way. Suggestions from those who've done it are welcome at this point. Studying The Milepost just wets my appetite for the trip. Reading other Forum posts on the subject really gets me going.

Get out there Jim. Eat some clams and crab for me while you're at it will ya? Nothing better than eating it right after it slept in the bay the night before.

Old 02-07-2006, 05:13 PM   #3
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
Road Trip

I would like to make new friends on this forum thruout the US and Canada, and to just go on a road trip and meet them one at a time, that would be a fun road trip.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:20 PM   #4
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
My dream trip would be to explore the Southwestern states for at least two months at a time. Then return again and again until I get it right. I been there a few times over the years but always had to return back home to the east coast. New Mexico is my favorite and their slogan of ‘Land of Enchantment’ says it all.
And then there is Alaska in ‘07, and New Zeeland in ‘08 and maybe even the Cape Town to Cairo caravan in ’09.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Gilligan's Island, just me and Mary Ann

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 05:55 PM   #6
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Go west by northwest.

Nice thread! My dream trip is to go back and follow all the places grandma and her family lived out west--they were prospectors so they moved all around and this before autos: Bismarck, ND, Pueblo, Co, Atlanta, Idaho-- Mtn Home, Wardner, Shoshone, ID, Spokane, Wa, California, British Columbia, Portland, Or, Butte, Mt, Wonder, NV (ghosttown now) not to mention Alaska. Takes so long to get out there though(in vacation time), probably will have to wait for those lucky numbers in the lottery or retirement...
Old 02-07-2006, 06:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Eating your way South

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk
I lived on the East Coast for nearly 20 years of my life and I found that every 100 miles, the cuisine is different. In New York and New Jersey its Manhatton Clam Chowder and lots of clams. In Maryland its Blue Crabs both soft-shelled and hard-shelled, steamed, fried, oh I'm driving myself crazy. I never should have moved back here on the Great Plains!! I miss the oysters and all the other sea food.
What a cool ambition!
If you get to Charleston, SC or Savannah, GA be sure to try the she crab soup. White crab meat and crab roe are combined in this soup in a cream and sherry broth. I could exit this world by drowning in a bath tub full of this stuff.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:12 PM   #8
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25
What a cool ambition!
If you get to Charleston, SC or Savannah, GA be sure to try the she crab soup. White crab meat and crab roe are combined in this soup in a cream and sherry broth. I could exit this world by drowning in a bath tub full of this stuff.
Been there, done that, can't wait to do it again. Just love Savannah and this time want to eat at Paula Dean's Mother and Sons resturant.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Heading to Chowdah Land This Weekend

We can't wait until summer. We are heading for Massachusetts and most likely will battle snow all the way. We lived in Newport, RI way back when and know what good seafood is and it ain't in Minnesota.

The dream RV trip has to be Alaska. Don't know when it will happen but I have to assume an annual four weeks vacation won't cut it. Great incentive for retirement.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Hut
Gilligan's Island, just me and Mary Ann

I can play a real niiiicccceee Mary Ann
Old 02-07-2006, 07:18 PM   #11
HDS
2 Rivet Member

Summertime Dreamin'

A couple of dream trips
One is to make a home game in every major league baseball park, all in one summer. I don't know how practicle that would be with an Airstream, but it would be a great summer. It's impossible to have a bad day at a ball park.
My other fantasy trip would be a month or so of roaming around out west looking for ghost towns. I guess I'd learn all about boondocking on a trip like that, but what a way to learn.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Seriously, our dream trip which will be our retirement trip is to circumvent the NorthAmerican coastal shoreline- with a detour into Mexico too.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:20 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Been to most of the eastern states a few times, and I'm starting to wear out PA, MD, WV, and NJ. Would like to load up and travel west. My dad owns a rig and I took a four week trip with him criss-crossing this great country after I graduated high school in 1999. I really loved Colorado, Montana, Nevada and Arizona. I thought that the area around Loveland Pass was the most beautiful place that I'd ever seen. I'd love to take the time to soak it all in. Still a loooooong way from retirement though, guess it will just have to wait.

Robert Louis Stevenson
LowellN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
- When I was 19 I rode a small motorcycle to Alaska. I'd love to do it with the trailer, for about 3 months!
- Make a liesurely sweep thorugh the west
- Sspend a summer exploring Europe

But the realities of WORK means it is very difficult for me to take more than 2 weeks off at a time, 3 weeks tops. So all of this will have to wait another 10 years!