Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2016, 12:36 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
What is there to see at Yosemite ?

We will be in Flagstaff for a week and trying to decide to go north or go west to Yosemite. We never been there before. What is a must see there? Looking for some input.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:59 PM   #2
"Silver Shrek"

2000 27' Safari
Crestwood , Kentucky
Yosemite is absolutely beautiful. The views from the valley floor and half dome are breathtaking. In August it may be packed! May is probably the best month, as the waterfalls will be running.

If you haven't been to Zion National Park, it is much closer to you and truly beautiful. Maybe a close second to Yosemite, the east side of Zion is a long drive, but well worth it (I don't know if trailer is allowed thru the tunnel) google it.
In both cases make sure you've got a reservation.
Not far from Zion is Bryce Canyon and also Grand Escalante.
Happy traveling.

Tom
drairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
The valley floor. It's where Half Dome, El Capitain, waterfalls, etc are all viewed. There's several campgrounds located in the valley. Though chancy, you may luck out on a cancellation as there are hundreds of campsites.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:15 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We went there for the first time last year, and I was drop-jawed amazed the whole time I was there. It is magnificent, truly beautiful. The sheer rock cliffs, views that seem to go on forever, beautiful rivers reflecting the sights and tall waterfalls (I don't know about this time of summer for the waterfalls). Around every corner are more stunning views. It's just not like anyplace I've seen before, and I can't wait to go back!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:37 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
The 395 is a nice drive and the run across Tioga Pass is worth the trip. As said above, the Valley is where the big visual attraction are found along with all the people looking. It's as people worn as any well visited NP, but worth the trip. Would not tow in, but rather find a place that is a good base camp outside a Western gate and visit from there.

As you cross the pass, you might stop along the way. There are some fantastic views. You might even like them best. There is even a rumor that trout are found if you move a bit West of 395 and in the lakes and streams accessible off Tioga. Note Tioga does close in the Winter so don't take too long with the fishing.

When you get to the Valley, a reservation at the Ahwahnee lodge for lunch is a fun thing to do. Have your "I'll find a parking place somewhere" hat on and come early.

There are well traveled trails to the falls, but don't be disturbed. It's kind of a tradition for lots of folks. Their parents took them and they take their kids.

Lake Tahoe is worth a look if you have time and check out Harah's Car Museum when you get to Reno. It's not as extensive a collection as when Bill was alive, but a bucket list item for car buffs. Note, Harrah was the one who transplanted a Ferrari engine into his Jeep Wagoneer to pump it up a bit.

Travel Safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The valley is essentially flat. To avoid the hassle of crowds we went in the Spring, camped outside the park, and brought our bicycles in each day on our pickup. The bicycles are near perfect transportation here, ride throughout the valley and enjoy the astonishing scenery and waterfalls. Yes, breakfast and lunch at Ahwahnee Lodge, we love big old Park Lodges and this is a good one.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
The valley is essentially flat. To avoid the hassle of crowds we went in the Spring, camped outside the park, and brought our bicycles in each day on our pickup. The bicycles are near perfect transportation here, ride throughout the valley and enjoy the astonishing scenery and waterfalls. Yes, breakfast and lunch at Ahwahnee Lodge, we love big old Park Lodges and this is a good one.

Thank you all.
Exactly what I was looking for. We have done all of the others the past few years, Zion, Bryce etc. This time I thought we should venture further west were we never been with the trailer. I have an aversion to spending time in California but I will set it aside and visit Yosemit it sounds interesting.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:06 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Hollywood , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Thank you all.
Exactly what I was looking for. We have done all of the others the past few years, Zion, Bryce etc. This time I thought we should venture further west were we never been with the trailer. I have an aversion to spending time in California but I will set it aside and visit Yosemit it sounds interesting.
Yosemite is one of the most spectacular natural wonders on earth. Don't miss the big trees. You might also take in Sequoia Natl Park too. California's Gold Country is also interesting. Don't deprive yourself of a complete tour of one of this planets most diverse and entertaining places.
Cleareye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:15 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Yosemite is the absolute masterpiece of the High Sierras. You won't be disappointed.

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:38 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Denver , North Carolina
Everyone said it for me! The most beautiful place I have ever been.
Murphalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:20 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Largo , Florida
I used to live an hour away from Yosemite and would frequently drive over for a picnic.

August is the most disappointing month to go as it is very crowded and not a lot of water in the falls or rivers.

I am guessing that it may be difficult to get a camp spot to accommodate the trailer but there are several of them outside the park that can if need be. Try inside first but you need to plan ahead about a year usually.

What to see:

Depends on how much you want to walk. If you can hike a semi-strenuous hike for 2 hours each way go up the mist trail to Vernal Falls. It is still beautiful in August. If you have 3 hours each way continue after that to Nevada Falls on the same trail.

If you can't hike like that, then there is a lot of beauty walking on the valley floor. And easy. You should drive up to glacier point and get a stunning view of the floor and can see the waterfalls too.

There are also I believe four giant sequoia groves in Yosemite. If you have never seen these trees my recommendation is to go! They are as big as a room and as tall as the sky. Until you have stood next to one of these giants you don't know what I'm talking about.

Good luck!!

Eli
eliyahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:21 PM   #12
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Having lived in Yosemite Valley for five years I would suggest all of the above. Breakfast at the Ahwahnee is far better than the lunch in my opinion. Walk up to Vernal Falls and to the base of Yosemite Falls. The Four Mile Trail is also nice and will take you up to Glacier Point.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:10 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Lemont , Illinois
When in Flagstaff, absolutely, positively make sure you go to one of my favorite restaurants, the 1899 Bar & Grille. Food is great, service is great, and it's run by the students from NAU.

http://www.1899barandgrill.com
Glenn T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:36 PM   #14
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
-- snip -- I have an aversion to spending time in California -- snip --.
Gee, there are those "Welcome to California, now go home!" bumper stickers, but I've not seen one in years. It really is not such a bad place to visit. You miss a lot of great views when you don't visit the coast; the tranquility of the Avenue of the Giants is a visit we find engaging over and over again; Death valley is a unique experience; and everyone has to go to Disneyland at least once. Try it, you'll like it.

It's interesting that the strongest memory I have of Yosemite is from our first trip out, when we stayed at a cabin park that is no longer in business. The chicken dinner that night and the company of the other guests in a family style environment was significantly memorable.

Hope you enjoy your trip. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:38 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
All the campgrounds leave a couple of walkup sites open. I've always had good luck getting a site by being at the checkin point very early in the morning. If you are coming from the west over Tioga pass there are good NFS campgrounds just outside the gate. Sawmill Lake is s good bet. School starts mid August here so things may thin out soon.
Tuolumne meadows is beautiful this time of year. Camping there and taking a day trip to the valley floor is a sound strategy. Hiking opportunities abound everywhere.
Tanaya Lake is a great place for a swim.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:55 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
I lived nearby for 20 years. Never got tired of visiting Yosemite. Make the drive up to Glacier Point. The views are fantastic. But leave the AS outside the park if you can find a spot nearby. Mid-week is the best time to visit. Fewer crowds.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:57 PM   #17
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Most amazing place on planet. Leave AS behind and go for a drive to Tioga Pass. Incredible hiking if you like that, but bring hiking poles, you won't regret that!
Old 08-02-2016, 02:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master

El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photobum View Post
Having lived in Yosemite Valley for five years I would suggest all of the above. Breakfast at the Ahwahnee ...
They don't call it the Ahwahnee anymore. I think its called ACME Hotel, or Majestic Yosemite Hotel or something like that.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:07 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
As others have said take the tram tour to the sequoias trees and valley floor. On a full moon they have a moonlit tour, and serve hot chocolate at the tunnel view. A good time and place to ask someone for marriage. The old church on the valley floor is a beautiful place to get hitched. Make reservations for breakfast at the Ahwahnee hotel. Hike on the trails. There's a golf course at the Wawona hotel, a half hour from the valley floor. Take a drive to the Half Dome viewpoint where you can see the ledge where crazy people used to do handstands photos. Bicycle around the valley floor. Watch for the rock climbers flashlights on El Capitan after sunset Enjoy and relax...good luck on that. Watch Yosemite II HD on youtube to get you started. I'm not a wiz on computers, or I would have the youtube link here.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:34 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
They don't call it the Ahwahnee anymore. I think its called ACME Hotel, or Majestic Yosemite Hotel or something like that.
Why did they changed the Ahwahnee to Majestic? It's been Ahwahnee for almost 100yrs.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote