Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2008, 06:28 PM   #1101
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Sheesh, the silence is deafening.

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:36 PM   #1102
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
I agree the gov't has screwed up, but what industry has enormous influence over Congress and has two oilmen in the administration?

Gene
So what i think you are saying is, they not only are idiots they are corrupt too. Well i have to agree with you on this one. Until the people rise up and start fighting and demonstrating nothing will change. I'm going to Washington next year to see the solar house display. I told my wife we need to bring lots of cash because i'm going to be giving any politician passing me going to work an earfull.

I'm really sick and tired of this corrupted government. I mean both parties! Government also needs to be cut in half, i'm sick and tire of seeing poor people paying for someone else to retire at close to 80% pay, it's a joke.

As i go cross country there is no doubt this is the greatest country on earth, but our government is dragging us down quick. 10 trillion in debt we are leaving our kids to deal with, they should all be fired and then shot. I guess you can see i'm pretty angry about this mess.
mrchinup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:31 AM   #1103
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
OK, so will one of the Mods weigh in here? I'll be happy to send it via a PM for review before it's printed.

Jim
just post it.
asking forgiveness is easier than permission, no objection has been voiced, and we would all like to see it.

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:37 AM   #1104
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc
just post it.
asking forgiveness is easier than permission, no objection has been voiced, and we would all like to see it.

I'm with Dave... besides, it's a response from one of our 'esteemed' legislators to the very topic of this thread and our... ahh..growing, concern over fuel prices.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:08 AM   #1105
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'm not saying don't post it, but to be honest, those canned letters and just a brush off. What is within the content is about as valuable as a sack of wet mice.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:22 AM   #1106
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
What I would do - if I were certain the representative in question didn't mind - is to paste it into a webpage from geocities or some other sorta-free webhosting site, then post a link to it here. If the mods object, the url for the document could be made available by request through PM.

I'd think that might cover the bases.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:44 AM   #1107
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
OK, well, I'm going to assume from the lack of response from the Mods that they don't want it posted here. I can live with that. I used to be a Mod around here and I know how difficult that job can be sometimes.

I'll give you all the gist of it if you want (and try to stay apolitical, if that's possible). The letter basically highlighted the legislative actions carried out by this senator. As you might expect, these actions pretty much followed along (his) party lines. Suspension of additions to the Strategic Oil Reserve, renewed requests for new drilling location (ANWR, off-shore), suspension of the Federal gas tax over the summer. There was some other stuff in there, but I don't have the email in front of right now.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 05-23-2008, 10:03 AM   #1108
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
The consumption thing only goes so far with me. I know serveral things are making the prices high, but I do not accept that overnight, this just happned......
I couldn't agree more with this. I have to keep records for work. I just looked back over the last couple of years worth of those records. Would you believe that in February, 2007 gas was at $1.89? Unbelievable. I guess if supply and demand were the "real" reason for the price runnups, then supply has been reduced by 50% or maybe more, OR demad has has increased by 100% in just 15 months? Not.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 05-23-2008, 10:21 AM   #1109
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
San Diego appears to be the guinea pig for Big Energy

I believe that San Diego was the guinea pic for energy and fuel producers to experiment with raising prices.

In the 1980s, San Diego was the primary city in CA, possibly the nation, that had the highest gasoline prices.
Gasoline prices were considerably lower in Los Angeles and San Francisco, Oregon, Texas, and Washington. Despite the complains of San Diegans to government officials, the higher prices were not abated.

When the Enron fabricated energy crisis hit CA, the excuse for high prices was supply and demand. On the national news it was announced that there was no evidence that power plants were being deliberately shut down to raise prices. Yet, that same night on the San Diego news, a whistle blower at the Duke Energy at the Chula Vista energy plant presented documentation proving a deliberate, unjustified shutdown. Suddenly after enough public outcry and proof of fraud, energy prices returned to normal. Enron is no more and the rest is history.

Many people lost their businesses and possibly died due to inability to pay the exorbitant energy bills will never be known. CA gas and electric bills doubled or tripled. The national news broadcasted an audio recording of energy managers laughing about the suffering they were inflicting on grandmothers and the poor.

Then gasoline prices seemed to gradually start rising only in Southern California. There was public outcry and no change. It progressed to Northern California. There was outcry and no change. With nothing to stop this racketeering, the high cost of gasoline and diesel has gradually spread across the nation like an infection. I find it interesting that prices across the nation are now near the same, as noted on this forum than in the 1980s.

The energy and fuel companies need to be accountable for price increases and should not get subsidies since they already have the public's money while making record profits.

Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:29 AM   #1110
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Back to "What is the cost of fuel in your area"....

Regular is sitting at $4.05 at the cheaper stations as of yesterday. Who knows what it is today with the upcoming holiday.

On a related note - there is a local Chrysler/Dodge dealer who is giving $2.99 gas guaranteed for 3 years with the purchase of a vehicle.
Of course, I haven't read the fine print...
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:23 PM   #1111
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I'm not saying don't post it, but to be honest, those canned letters and just a brush off. What is within the content is about as valuable as a sack of wet mice.

Couldn't agree with you more and for accountability purposes, democrat, republican or independent, the good legislator's efforts should be rewarded with public disclosure. These are the folks we elect (or not), to PUBLIC office, not private interests.

As to the "supply & demand" rationale, I also agree totally with that but under a different interpretation. The "supply" is fuel and the "demand" is the money they are forcing us to pay and so far, there has been nothing we can do about it.

So sure, let's see what our elected represenatives have to say about it so we can all make informed decisions next election.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:31 PM   #1112
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Lakewood/Long Beach, CA

$3.89. Regular Unleaded
$4.99 Diesel (ouch !)

Rick (

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:07 PM   #1113
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
It has gone too far

Torrance, CA, 100 yards form one of the largest refineries in the United States.......

Regular gas: $4.59
Midgrade gas: $4.89
Premium gas: $5.09

AND

DIESEL: $5.59

Somebody, somewhere, better start packing their bags for prison......this is no longer a political issue.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:07 PM   #1114
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Tucson, AZ

Regular 3.55 to 3.63
Diesel 4.69
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:16 PM   #1115
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE
Torrance, CA, 100 yards form one of the largest refineries in the United States.......

Regular gas: $4.59
Midgrade gas: $4.89
Premium gas: $5.09

AND

DIESEL: $5.59

Somebody, somewhere, better start packing their bags for prison......this is no longer a political issue.
Perhaps Congress could just start shooting one oil company executive an hour until prices were reduced?

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:27 PM   #1116
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
this might be a repeat but you can see a gas price map of the USA here:
USA National Gas Temperature Map

or Canada here:

Canada National Gas Temperature Map
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #1117
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc
Perhaps Congress could just start shooting one oil company executive an hour until prices were reduced?

A bit radical but I am sure it would be effective. Where is our federal grand juries when we need them???

As for our fuel prices this morning in So Cal, every station is up about 5 cents per grade over yesterday, average regular about $4.09, and diesel is averaging about $5.29. As a side note, traffic here is substantially lighter, even at rush hours and there are a helluva lotta PU trucks just parked in for days in the surrounding neighborhoods.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:20 PM   #1118
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Diesel from $3.99 on May 5 to $4.49 as of yesterday in South Texas.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:36 PM   #1119
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
$4.09 Sacramento, CA
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:29 PM   #1120
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
$4.099 in the middle of Long Island, but out in the Hamptons, they don't post the prices on big signs—if you have to ask, you can't afford it. They do post them on the pumps though they are hard to read from the street even with stop and go traffic. $4.619 at one pump, it looked like $4.819 at another.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote