Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2016, 07:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Wellfleet , Massachusetts
What do we need in addition to our Airstream and TV?

Preparing for the purchase of our first Airstream.....purchased our TV today (new 2016 Silverado 2500).

Know that we need a tow hitch..... planning to purchase the ProPride.

Does anyone have a list of all the other things that we will need/want to prepare for our maiden voyage? Not food just everything else?
Joellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Clothes, bedding, if not provided water hoses, sewer hose, cash and credit cards, pots and pans, plates, cups, glasses, trailer insurance, road side assistance policy, more cash, medicines and personal hygiene items, toilet paper, paper towels, towels and wash clothes and finally a good attitude. Have fun and see you down the road.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...9&d=1478478466

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:30 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Wellfleet , Massachusetts
Just saw the very long checklists from an earlier post.....

Thank you!
Joellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Well I don't have a formalized list, but this will at least get you started....

• Water Hose
• Grey water flush hose
• Sewer drain hose (with 90 elbow and clean plastic collar) on other end to allow you to see whats coming out.
• Sewer hose accordion riser. This allows the hose to slope in the right direction and remain off the ground. you will sometimes bump into camp grounds that mandate these.
• Trailer Chocks
• Leveling blocks
• 18 volt Drill (good quality like Makita) to crank your levellers and more importantly your WD bars on your ProPride.
• 3/4” thin walled (12-point) deep socket and breaker bar to allow you to get wheel off if needed.
• 15/16??? Socket for ProPride hitch. I’m not 100% sure on the size, but you will need a socket and can use the same breaker bar.
• Barbecue and 20-25 ft. of propane line so you can hook it to your trailer external valve
• Lawn chairs
• Small folding table for setting drinks next to the above chairs.
• A larger folding table just to allow you to sit four for dinner outside if you wish
• Mid sized outdoor carpet (I think ours is 6’ x 12’ or something. You can get them bigger but they become a pain to fold and put away if they are to large. I find mine also fit in the box of the truck and that is handy as you can just roll it up.
• Small extension cord to allow you to plug stuff in outside if you want.
• Blue tooth speaker. We use a Bose as it runs well off our phones and the internal audio system in the trailer. Its always nee to have a little dinner music while cooking or having a cocktail.
• 50Ft. of rope that you can use as a close line when needed.
• Liquid Wrench RV slide lubricant. I use this on the ProPride hitch all the time. It will allow you stinger to move in and out of the hitch block much easier.
• Spare set of fuses. Ask you dealer to supply you with a selection of all the different sizes you need.
• Pop Rivet gun (swivel Head) with a selection of replacement interior rivets. You might need this often but its nice to have the ability to drill out an old rivet that has popped and replace it.
• Small drill bit set including the 1/8” drill bit you will need for the replacement rivets.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Doug
Old 11-09-2016, 07:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Someone else's check list is a good place to start. As you progress you will develop and refine your own. Mine is non-ending work in progress. I keep a sticky pad on the counter to jot down items and things that I should of brought and items that are just taking up valuable space. I use several large Rubbermaid type containers that I keep packed and ready to go. Consumables are in a separate container with a list to mark off as used so that I remember to replace them before the next outing.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:54 PM   #6
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We'd recommend an extention cord for your 30 amp power cord and a "dog leg" adapter for 15 amp outlets. These come in handy when your power source is not close to where you can park, notably when staying overnight at somebody's home.

Plastic risers and chocks to put under your wheels for non-level sites. These may be found in a lot of RV parks.

Our rule is that if there's something you really depend upon, bring some kind of spare or alternative, because malfunctions do happen. For example, flashlights in case the electrical system konks out. Accordian-style risers for your sewer pipe so that everything flows downhill.

Then a lot depends on whether you plan to boondock in the boonies or not. If you're planning on dispersed camping in a wilder sort of place, for example, you'd need to bring extra water in a jerry can plus a big funnel, a generator and extra gas, a serious first aid kit, and so on.

Happily, RV parks sell a lot of stuff you might need while traveling, or can direct you to a place that sells what you need.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:49 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
I can sum up what you "need" in one word....

For starters...welcome to this forum. I'm guessing you've been "monitoring" the activity and such for a period of time now....whatever the case may be....welcome anyway. It's a source of great information yet, like most "on-line forums" I find that it can get a bit much. Yet wading thru the fluff you will find a lot of useful information.

Now your probably getting a lot of lists of things you "need to have"..some of the basics will become clear to you over time and I'm sure you will figure it out.

So what do I have to "offer"? One word....."Patiences" and a lot of it.

I haven't seen what coach you are buying other than what you plan to pull it with. So let me try and be brief.

Airstreams are by "no means" perfect! Yes, I know there is a lot to be said about the "craftsmanship, hand built yada yada". It's true they are hand built and the finish products is pleasing to the eye. But, like any big company finding ways to get the most out of your money. They do have a major tendency to make short cuts. You've no doubt dropped a bundle of cash for your new trailer and I and can tell you over a period of time "you're going to find the flaws" and they have the tendency to drive you nuts. Thus...your "patience" is going to be tested as you work thru the issues. In the end I'm sure they will be just fine. Although you've bought what you may think to be the "cadiliac" of the trailer market; it's the "components within" that you will find disappointing.

In my case we bought a brand new 2016 Sport 22FB. The first few months we used it went well. Then the .50 cent water valve on the fresh water tank started leaking. On our first 5000 mile, 3 week cross country trip the heater quit, followed by the radio, followed by one of the USB ports, followed by hinges that refuse to keep doors attached. Frankly, in this case AS aren't that much different from other trailers that are assembled in hours verses days.
The trailer has now been at the dealer for going on three weeks, I guess that's ok as the "season as we know it" is over. But it's going to be another two weeks as the dealer has to order parts to complete my list....."one usb port and one hinge"!

When I first jointed this forum I read about complaints off and on about the issues facing frustrated owners. I thought it was just "on-line one of a kind cry babies" and I had a tendency to ignore them. But the facts don't lie. Thor Industries owns 80 plus percent of the RV market including AS. So get ready to exercise your "patience" factor to the fullest. And don't make the mistake of thinking that my trailer which is close to the "bottom of the barrel" when it comes to the Airstream line, while expensive at $50 Grand, is really no different from the "top of the line"...ie. The Pendleton" at $135 Grand. When I checked my trailer into the dealer for warranty repairs I politely told the "service manager" that I found it "redicullous" to have to service several issues that were caused by "cheap...did I say cheap"....components. He smiled at me politely and said that one "recent Pendelton owner" had just dropped their trailer off with a list of 50 items! I guess I got a deal....I only had 7.

In closing let me say...."I love my AS trailer greatly". It has taken my family and me places this summer I never dreamed it could. And, I miss looking out my window and not seeing "Milley" sitting their while I dream of where "she" is going to take us come spring.

So....let me repeat...listen to all the good advice of the things you "need to have" but place at the top of your "list"..P A T I E N C E! And then go and have a wonderful time!

Pat
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:17 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Welcome to the forum. I'd add a way to protect your trailer from bad campground power. An external city water filter. Consider a generator (I have two Honda eu2000i) and assorted adapters for 20,30 and 50 amp power. TPMS for your TV and AS. Torque wrench, assorted tools, tire gauge. I bought a nice portable 12volt compressor.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 03:04 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
You need a fancy Airstream coffee service and wine glasses from Airstream Brands. And some lights for your awning shaped like vintage trailers!

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 03:37 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Some good advice above and from other published checklists. However, try not to accumulate too much stuff in advance. Some of it you will never use, and you will find better alternatives down the road for some of the rest of it. Take a short shakedown cruise before you plan any long trips, and it will soon become apparent if you need or want something you don't already have.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:03 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

We just bought our trailer and only picked up a few items to begin with:
- Anderson leveler and chock: extremely easy to use
- a few electrical adapters for different power sources: 50 to 30 amp, 30 to 15...
- a 25 ft length of hose for using the black water flush
- the dealer provided us with a starter kit that included fresh water hose, sewer hose, gloves...
- bottle of Walbernize for polishing trailer
- a couple of folding chairs

We have since picked up some large Rubbermaid type containers for storage (ie storing the leveler and chock, with hoses, electrical... In rear storage compartment) and a set of small ones like those for the kitchen. We outfitted with our extra set of utensils and, for our first trip, a pot and sauté pan. We camped for 10 days on our way home from the dealer and just had the basics.

I would second the previous post about over stocking until you use the trailer and find what you want. We do not like to have a lot of items to manage when we travel. We've added a few items such as my iron cookware (only a couple of pieces kept in Rubbermaid container in truck bed) , a larger camp pot for cooking over the campfire, bbq utensils, and some boards for the jack when not able to use the jack stand. You'll find out soon enough how you want to cook and what you need as you become familiar with the trailer and campgrounds.

All the best with your new trailer and travels!
StrmyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:56 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
Some good advice above and from other published checklists. However, try not to accumulate too much stuff in advance. Some of it you will never use, and you will find better alternatives down the road for some of the rest of it. Take a short shakedown cruise before you plan any long trips, and it will soon become apparent if you need or want something you don't already have.

Excellent Advice...
StrmyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:20 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Groceries!
You'll figure out what you want/need as you go.
We started out with a few clothes and dishes and figured out what we wanted/needed as we went.
Wheel chocks, Lynx Levelers, folding table, griddle, charcoal, broom, rake, vacuum, towels, bath cloths, soap, shampoo, toilet paper, blank tank chemical, toothpaste, toothbrush, clothes, shoes, food, dishes, utensils, surge protector, water pressure regulator...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:24 AM   #14
2016 19ft flying cloud

Spokane , Washington
A small step stool for unlatching awning
A Lot easier then messing with supplied tool
Spinonedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:27 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Washington, DC , Washington, D.C.
We made a list of all the things we picked up just prior to moving into our 2016 Classic full-time. You can find it here.

As for the hitch, we chose a Hensley Arrow and have loved it.
paulsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:56 AM   #16
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Here is my list from experience when I started two years ago.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ed-144940.html
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:49 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
GRAND CANYON , Arizona
Duct tape
WD40
Water pressure regulator
Grease for hitch (in a pinch Vaseline will work)
Matches or lighter in case your pilot/electronic igniters fail
Basic tools

Pull your RV to a local RV park close to home.spend the weekend and ask other campers. Then if you really need something you didn't think of, you can run home to get it.

In our case we have a lot of duplicated items from running to Wal-Mart for things we forgot so many times over the years.

Best of luck.
RadioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:51 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
What do we need in addition to our Airstream and TV?

Despite my previous advice, unless you're always going to be next to your trailer and TV, I recommend you get locks for the hitch connections on both. Imagine being 40 miles south of nowhere and having someone steal your hitch or even worse, your trailer!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:49 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
1964 24' Tradewind
1956 18' "Footer"
Southern , Minnesota
Cooler of beverages, GPS and/or maps, strong wanderlust. The rest will sort itself out.
GR8DANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:51 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Camping reservations...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote