Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
The worst thing that we did happened on our Avion......we forgot to lock the door. It flew open as we exited off the interstate; bent the door and broke the window. Now we make sure that we lock the door before we pull out. We don't want to repeat the door mishap on our AS!
megandrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Would you believe my pants? Left two pairs of jeans, jogging sweats, and a couple of pairs of capris sitting on the dryer.

So, I arrive at my campsite and realize the only pants I have are the yoga pants I am wearing - and I am booked at the site for ten days. The thought of hitting a mall right away was a real PITA, but that's what I had to do.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:42 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
A long time ago, when our family was much younger, we had a little beagle-dachshund mix, named "Puppy". She looked like small beagle, with typical beagle colors and long, floppy ears, except she had short legs.

At that time, we had a little 12-foot Cardinal travel trailer that was about the size of a truck camper, except with wheels; and our two sons (now in their forties) were about six and four. Everyone had their own duties when packing up and getting ready to pull out.

After the boys pulled up the stake to which Puppy's chain was attached, they put the loop on the end of her leash over the crank handle on the tongue jack, while we finished the rest of our chores and made a final sweep around the campsite to pick up any litter before pulling out.

Anyway, while we were driving on the dirt road back to the highway, about a mile or two from the campground, I noticed in the mirror that the step was down; so I pulled over and went back to put it up. Walking around our van, I leaned over to double-check the hitch and chains, and noticed the dog's leash dangling from the crank handle, with an empty dog collar at the end. Uh, oh...

A quick check of the van showed everyone in their seats, except Puppy. My mind was racing... Had I just dragged the dog to a miserable, painful death; and her body was just a long greasy skid mark down the last mile or two of dirt road? How was I going to explain what had happened to our boys' dog, their lifelong friend?

I looked down the road from where we'd come, hoping not to see Puppy's body laying in the road; and in the distance, I could see a dog running towards us, a couple of hundred yards back. I ran back and it was Puppy, panting and tired; but OK. When I put her collar back on, it slipped right over her head, without unbuckling it. Evidently, when we drove off, she had just sat down; and the collar pulled right over her head. Then, she had spent the last mile or two racing to catch up to us.

So, have I ever forgotten anything while pulling out? Uh, nope -- Not after that!
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Adair , Oklahoma
We stopped in Tucumcari for an overnight on our way to Mesa Verde a week or so ago. While preparing to leave the campground, the last thing I needed to do was put up the steps. I put up the steps and removed the steps support to find a huge Tarantula spider on the support. My wife was already in the truck so I decided to show her the Tarantula. After letting him go in a nice safe place, I put the support in the truck and we drove off. A few miles down the road I realized I forgot our door mat. We called the campground to have them pick up our mat and picked it up on our way back. Moral of the story: don't get distracted and if you do, start your checklist over.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:58 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
Once I forgot to make sure that the cap for the sewer hose compartment under the trailer was secure. We were driving down the road when someone motion to us that there was a problem. I pulled over and found the sewer cap to the storage compartment gone and the hose hanging and dragging along the trailer.. It had stretched about 30 feet and was obviously trashed. Luckily I keep another sewer hose as a spare. I secured the new sewer compartment cap with a small chain, so that I won't lose it again, and I make sure that cap is on tight.Wolf146
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Belgrade , Montana
A couple of months ago while we were between Jasper and Banff we unhooked our toad to make life easier going over a pass. We pulled over to hook up the toad again. My wife went to set the car transmission, I did the Roadmaster towing equipment, and she also set the supplemental brake and got distracted talking to a biker where we pulled over on the side of the road. We pulled into the Jasper campsite and discovered the car was still running as she didn't turn the key to "accessory". The doors were all locked and fortunately we travel with extra sets of keys, car and Motorhome.
JMSx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

Belgrade , Montana
Now that I think about it, an employee of mine, who was not married for very long, had a B van type camper and was camping. His wife, still in her nightgown and ok the dog out
Old 09-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

Belgrade , Montana
[QUOTE="JMSx2;1357690"]Now that I think about it, an employee of mine, who was not married for very long, had a B van type camper and was camping. His wife, still in her nightgown and ok the dog out to do his business. He left and it only took him 45 minutes to discover they were missing.