Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2008, 09:29 PM   #1
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
What did a trip to Alaska do to your Airstream?

We've been to Alaska and NW Canada twice—20,000 miles total. Our Toyotas handled it well, but I'm wondering what it does to an Airstream.

We've been on a lot of remote dirt highways (Dalton and Dempster Highways for example) and I don't know if Barb would allow me to take the Safari on them, but I'd like to. I know the frost heaves are bad for my back, so I'm sure they're don't help a trailer.

When things broke, how long did it take it get fixed? Where? What broke? Where did you go? Would you do it again?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
When I drove the highway in 1971 it was still gravel and we had to have a wire screen over the windshield and headlights to prevent stones from breaking them. We had to camp along the road waiting for washouts to be repaired- it was fun stuff! But I was an Airstreamless collage student then. Things have changed.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
We went this year, and although we did not go on any of the really bad totally gravel roads, there are still lots of frost heaves, and gravel repaired sections on the Alaska Hwy. There is a section North of Haines Junction, Yukon and Tok, AK, that is 150 miles long, and because of all the bad sections of the road and construction, took us 6 hours to drive.

We had a small inexpensive microwave mounted above the refrigirator in our '75, 23' AS mounted with Velcro, and it rode to Haines Junction, YK from San Antonio, TX without a problem, but when we got to Tok, AK, it was laying on the floor busted.

The "Highways" in Alaska are not much better in places....we stopped for lunch on one of those roads between Delta Junction and Glennallen, and the medicine cabinet and mirror was laying on the floor all busted up. Forunately the mirror did not break, and we were able to stop at a hardware store and buy the necessary fasteners and glue to rebuild it.

You will get lots of dust in the trailer from the gravel roads, especially in the rear, so if you can do a better job of sealing everything, it will help. We also got a broken windshield from flying gravel, and rock dings all over the front of the trailer, this after installing some rather large flaps on the truck, and taping some foam pads on the front of the trailer. Fortuantely, we had no major problems with the tow vehicle or trailer.

But, all in all, it was a great adventure and we actually plan to go back maybe this coming summer.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I don't know if Barb would allow me to take the Safari on them, but I'd like to. I know the frost heaves are bad for my back, so I'm sure they're don't help a trailer.
Maybe you ought to get a second trailer for the trip...an old one she wouldn't care as much for!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Not too old though. You wouldn't want to hurt a vintage Airstream now would you?

Barry
Old 10-04-2008, 08:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
My Own Definition of Terms...

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57 View Post
Not too old though. You wouldn't want to hurt a vintage Airstream now would you?

Barry
Nope! Just old...

0-3 years = Brand New
3-5 years = New
5-10 = Broken In
10-20 = Old
20-25 = Funky Old
25-40 = Vintage
40+ = Really Vintage

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Nope! Just old...

0-3 years = Brand New
3-5 years = New
5-10 = Broken In
10-20 = Old
20-25 = Funky Old
25-40 = Vintage
40+ = Really Vintage

Shari
Wow, this is great Shari.

So this means my Flying Cloud, my car and both my wife and I are Really Vintage. I like it. My wife will probably suggest that this is for inanimate objects only but then again, one of us thinks the cars and trailers have feelings .

Barry
Old 10-04-2008, 09:11 PM   #8
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
We took our 97 Safari to AK in 2006. We had the normal wear and tear but nothing that made us wish we hadn't gone. Some things were surprising - such as when we found that gravel had opened our fresh water drain and therefore drained our tank. As we were about to leave Watson Lake for the Cassiar (where we truly needed fresh water) it was a wonderful find.

You will mud-blast the front of your rig - especially if you go to Dawson City. (As that is the heart of gold-rush country, why would you miss it, anyway?) There is a truck wash on the East side of town.

I think you need to take a "mellowed" rig to Alaska. Those of you that have brand new rigs and agonize over every dimple or scratch - wait a few years. Alaska will still be there.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
My parents did it the first time in 1964 with our Airstream. The whole family went, it took a month. Since I was only 4, I don't remember too much. I know we had a rock guard on the front of the TV (pics at Roger's Airstream History (Round 2!)). I had heard stories of non-Airstreams (pre SOB terminology) having their underbelly tubing flattened by the rocks and their sheet metal screws work out. I DO remember that we had a total of 9 flat tires between both vehicles.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
We took our '64 Overlander to Alaska in 2005 and had no major problems or flat tires. The trailer still had the original axles which we decided to replace after we got back. They were due to be replaced anyway. We got one chip in the windshield of the Suburban, but no noticeable dings on the trailer. Maybe there were some that would have been noticeable on a new Airstream. We did end up with a lot of dust in the trailer the day we drove the Top-of-the-World highway.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:00 PM   #11
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by caadoptees View Post
My parents did it the first time in 1964 with our Airstream. The whole family went, it took a month. Since I was only 4, I don't remember too much. I know we had a rock guard on the front of the TV (pics at Roger's Airstream History (Round 2!)). I had heard stories of non-Airstreams (pre SOB terminology) having their underbelly tubing flattened by the rocks and their sheet metal screws work out. I DO remember that we had a total of 9 flat tires between both vehicles.
Great photos! Did you scan the slides yourself? Really brings back that era.

Thanks!
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:21 AM   #12
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Q: What did a trip to Alaska do to my Airstream?

A: Having recently completed the WBCCI caravan to Alaska, British Columbia and the Yukon, I have some ‘what it’s worth’ opinions to share.

We had 28 trailers of various sizes and 7 motorhomes, and all but one survived. You can learn the route taken, the town and cities visited on the WBCCI website.

The majority of the roads were good to very good. Maybe 10% were bad to very bad. Depending on weather and the last time the gravel sections were re-graded, some dirt roads could be a challenge but potential damage can be limited simply by driving slowly. With good planning, one should never be in a hurry to get anywhere traveling with an Airstream. It helps to have mud or stone guards on your tow vehicle, plus some kind of shield across the front of you trailer. All the under trailer gear, such as the propane lines, the water drain valve, and the black and gray water pipes should be protected by shielding of some kind. Some people had very little protection and suffered only minor damage or none at all. There were a few very bumpy sections that caused minor internal damage to cabinets, but driving slowly should minimize that. If it rains, expect a very muddy rig. Many towns and campgrounds have facilities for washing your vehicles.

You can’t totally depend on what is written about expected road conditions in current issues of “The MILEPOST.” or for that matter what some people say about how it was last season. There is a lot of dated and second-hand information available—just ask. Condition change and the highway departments are constantly repairing and upgrading the roads. I got the most accurate information from the various tourist information centers, national park people and others travelers.

Our group suffered a number of flat tires, one burnt axle assembly, and various routine plumbing, electrical and appliance problems. I don’t know the starting condition of the trailers, their tires or air pressure prior to the caravan. I kept my four year old tires fully inflated, checked them often and had the wheel bearings re-greased. Maybe I was lucky, but I had no such problems over my 86 days and 13,225 miles. Not even a popped rivet. Some vehicles got dings in the windshields.

The trailer that didn’t survive was hit by a moose. They were able to tow it to Fairbanks, get an insurance settlement and buy Some Other Brand (an SOB), which enable them to continue on with us. We had a good group of knowledge people and more importantly our caravan leader could trouble shoot and fix almost anything with his supply of tools of spare parts.

There are many RV maintenance and repair facilities and hardware stores along the way. The cost of parts, repairs as well as fuel is more expensive in Canada. The people are very friendly and helpful. Having a cell phone and WiFi Internet service can give you another level of comfort and security.

My trailer was bought to be used and not for show. There are risks and costs in living any life style, traveling or doing anything. I expected my rig would sustain some damage, but it completed the trip in great shape. Most of us learned first hand how to keep our Airstreams in good condition, avoid breakdowns and solve problems.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:24 AM   #13
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Maybe I could borrow one of those vintage trailers for the trip.

We experienced damage on the SUV and pickup we used on our 2 trips. Paint dings and windshield damage was it. On gravel roads, the best thing to do is pull over as far to the right as you can safely and slow way down. Two vehicles going 60 (common on the Dalton Hwy) means rocks flying at 120 mph, but even when I slowed down, some opposing traffic didn't. A speeding NWT government pickup on a freshly graveled road (Dempster Hwy) peppered our 4Runner and we got a lot of damage to the windshield—not enough to make it difficult to see through it, but enough to replace it when we got back. Mud on gravel roads—which often are dirt—clay mostly—gets packed behind the wheels and on the undercarriage and it very difficult to wash off. It creates a ride as if the alignment is completely out of whack. I ended up scrapping it out with a screwdriver because it collects behind the aluminum wheels and can't be reached with a high pressure hose. The best way to get it off is to remove each wheel and wash them. Not a pleasant experience. Other than that we had no breakdowns. In Newfoundland with an SUV the oil pressure sending unit failed—always heart stopping when you look at the gauge and it reads zero. And the roads in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland are pretty bad—probably the worst paved roads we've ever seen.

A trailer is a different story. I am encouraged that people do travel with only minor problems. Of course, not everyone has that experience. Driving slowly makes sense, but doesn't feel like an option when everything is so far away. NW Canada and Alaska are big. Big like enormous. On a Mercator projection map they look smaller, but they aren't. While I know driving slowly helps, my right foot knows we'll never get there if we drive too slowly. Hard to balance that battle between my foot and my head.

Until you get to permafrost country, the paved roads are very good. Not so good north of that line. With permafrost melting and the line moving north every year, roads are bumpy because ice underneath has turned to slop.

I bought a new Safari partly because I figured there would be less damage on a new unit for such trips. We are still learning how to pack tightly to prevent movement in cabinets—movement not only breaks the items packed, but stresses the cabinets. The cushions on the sofa and streetside seat for the dinette are always falling over no matter what road we are on. Maybe velcro would help with that. The microwave is on a nonslip mat on the floor and hardly moves at all. Anything placed on the bed or bedroom carpet pretty much stays in place. A plastic container thing with 4 large suction cups in the shower holds the shampoo, soap and conditioner pretty well (I hate having to pack and unpack items over and over). Robes and towels on hooks pretty much stay there, or can go on the bed. Everything in the truck stayed where it was put. Sometimes drawers have opened. The dealer put another stop on one and I may ask them to do that for all the others.

But I don't know much what would or could happen to the undercarriage, axles, propane connections, cabinets and drawers. We have our 1st and 2nd scratches, but it didn't make me feel any better. The rock guards already have dents and one plastic rock guard window has a crack in it. Like I was told when the dealer tried to sell me the extended warranty, it's "an earthquake on wheels". And it is an earthquake that goes on and on and on. That's what worries me. I also wonder whether I should have an extra spare and whether I should have Load Range E tires. Thus, do people get flats less frequently with E tires? Other things I wonder about are what are the most likely things to watch for and to take care of before leaving. I know, for example, repacking the wheel bearings and checking and adjusting the brakes are an obvious ones.

I like to cover all bases, but at some point, there are diminishing returns and unnecessary precautions. Nothing I can do about moose except keep my eyes open. We have them in Colorado too.

I suppose at some point, you just say, "what the hell, let's go".

Thanks for your posts and I'm looking forward to more experiences.

Gene
Old 10-05-2008, 10:44 AM   #14
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by caadoptees View Post
Those vintgage picture are wonderful to look at. A lot of those Alaska highways are paved now. Thanks!

Gene
Old 10-05-2008, 11:28 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Great photos! Did you scan the slides yourself? Really brings back that era.

Thanks!
Yes, I scanned them. I gleaned them from my dad's slide collection.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I've saved posts 12 & 19 from http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...eam-43348.html. Interesting ideas -- protecting the LP lines and a one-shot plywood deflector.

I've got a couple interesting impact star cracks on the rockguard over one of the pano windows on my Safari. That's from towing mostly on paved roads! What will it do with the baseball sized gravel on the Alcan? Oncoming truck will throw a lot of #&*@! at you. Bring something for jury rigging up some patches. Easiest for me would be a spare piece of plexiglass from ACE and pop rivets -- Frankinshield! It wouldn't be pretty but might do the job.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:34 PM   #17
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob, The Alaska Hwy is paved except where there is construction or frost heaves. They use chip seal because it's easy and cheap to repair. The heaves are short pieces—a couple of feet or so, but gravel can fly. Gravel stuck in tires may travel a while. It would help everyone if mud guards were in front of tires as well as behind.

There is an irony in placing something in front of the rock guards to protect the rock guards.

Gene
Old 10-05-2008, 02:48 PM   #18
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
[QUOTE=CanoeStream;624231]I've saved posts 12 & 19 from http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...eam-43348.html.

Bob, thanks for the link. Good information, especially about protecting propane lines and wires. I'm not sure whether I'd want to try the plywood protector—pretty heavy and makes it hard to get to the batteries.

Gene
Old 10-05-2008, 02:56 PM   #19
_

. , .
jim (jordandvm) just darted up/back to alaska in his argosy.

i'm sure he'd pm you details about any repair issues they experienced...

and HEY maybe he'd rent the argosy to ya for a trip next year....

here are a coupla threads on this...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ska-44007.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...log-43039.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ska-24311.html

however, given how MISERABLE your northwest loop seems to have been...

i dunno, you guys might REALLY hate adding 4k more miles to that section,

besides, once u've seen a moose or 2, u've seen 'em all (like rugged oregon beaches)...

and there are no trader joes on the alcan to highlight the trip...

seldom do i think a wb' caravan is the best way to travel, but in your case...

joining the wb' and taking some of their caravans might be a great approach to travel for awhile...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:55 PM   #20
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Moose on the loose

2air, I said "borrow", not rent. Maybe yours will be available, though it's pretty big.

The NW trip was great, at least until we started getting bad news from back home I had to deal with, and a phone that didn't work well. We learned a lot, which we expected, and enjoyed many parts. Campgrounds are not so good a lot of times (the same for motels) and we'll learn to deal with that better. I want my laptop to work everywhere and that day hasn't arrived.

I prefer moose to stay at least 50' away, but they seem to have a bad habit of running into things. If they could be equipped with radar, then our radar detector could warn us—except a lot of places in Canada ban the detectors. Bears are smarter, despite their bad habit of ripping doors off and eating all the toothpaste and shampoo. A molecular disrupter could eliminate both problems. A force field around the rig is another possible solution; that'll keep the gravel and moose from hitting anything. We'll probably need a nuclear power plant to run all this stuff, though there could be weight problems unless we bring an anti-grav device to lift us partly off the road. Helium balloons in the trailer and truck bed might help lessen weight. We're not caravan kind of people, though I like the idea of a couple of mechanics following with all the parts we might need. They could also be chefs who prepare our meals, give massages and make the bed. Or we could have the Safari airlifted each morning to the next place we want to be; then we could drive a sports car—oh, to drift through the curves again.

While I assemble all that stuff (it should on the shelf at the nearest CIA store), we'll probably do it the conventional way. We perfected SUV travel as best we could, now we're trying a new way to travel and looking for a comfort level and avoiding reasonably avoidable problems. We also think of a return to Newfoundland with its 500,000 moose—they love windshields and landing in your lap. The roads there are built by a guy who designs rollercoasters.

Gene