Old 03-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #15
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Honestly we make a visit there an event of nothing. We plan out trip by bringing plenty of food and anything else we need. There is a bank of grills available to use but bring charcoal.
Its a great opportunity to stock up on parts and t-shirts type things.
We usually get some housecleaning and some organizing done. The tour everyday at 2pm with Don is great! He is a longtime friend to our family.
Dumpster diving there always scores some good stuff. We then get a pre journey good nights sleep then hit the road to wherever is next. JC is completely too far to use as a home base to journey out.
Nonetheless you'll have a great time if you plan on being there your destination and leave it at that!

Old 03-11-2014, 03:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUMINUMINUM View Post
Boredom and wonder.

We toured the factory, which didn't impress a material handling/plant layout/manufacturing engineer. The workers on the floor always had time to stop production and friendly chat with us. We listened to Ol' Don evade and excuse questions like "Why does Airstream still sweep construction debris into inaccessible hidden areas of the trailer instead of simply sweeping all the swarf out the door?"...Answer; "We bought a couple of shop vacs last year, but we can't get anyone to use them". We worried that Ol' Don might not last the tour.

We rummaged through the pile of discontinued old stock for sale, but it was all useless to us. We checked out the service department and concluded that these guys were too slow for $140/hr. and they will never see our Airstream. We wondered at the effectiveness of the sprinkler on a stick that they detected customer's leak complaints with. We walked around the factory grounds and wondered about their recycling and trash disposal. We wondered why the construction debris was under our bathtub instead of in the giant dumpsters. We walked around the wonderful old trailers staged out front. We saw the Bowlus. We bought some high priced souvenirs that we didn't need at the Airstream store out of boredom. The weather was nice, so we toured every street in town and smiled and waved to all the off shift AS Factory Rats drinking beer and smoking in their lawn-chaired driveways. Had a wonderful lunch at the Bistro a few blocks from factory near the closed-up old church/museum. Hardware store was closed. We wondered why Byam chose this town to build trailers, and went home...

It was an informative and pleasant adventure. I guess I'm easily amused.
We are always amused by the discomfort of city dwellers visiting our own little village of 700 wonderful people. The draw at Jackson Center is the factory, the heart of lake country at our place. Same tourists wandering around lost in paradise and they don't even know it.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Doug, you are so right! Jim
Old 03-11-2014, 04:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Dumpster diving there always scores some good stuff
Really?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:11 PM   #19
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I have scored segment protectors, led lighting, a new water pump, miscellaneous hardware, rivets by the box, outside shower.....
Not too proud to dive at my favorite factory!
Old 03-11-2014, 06:44 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
If the weather continues as it has there will still be snow on the ground . There is a ski resort not far from JC called Mad Mountain so bring your skis if you have some if not I'm sure you could rent some from them . It's on HWY 33 highest point in Ohio .
Old 03-11-2014, 06:56 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I will add dumpster diving to my itinerary...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:33 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I will add dumpster diving to my itinerary...
I get there before you do. Hope there's something left :-)
Old 03-11-2014, 07:47 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Danielsville , Georgia
There's Neil Armstrong's Space Museum in Wapakoneta Ohio (( Moon rocks )) off the next exit north I think. Not huge place but i'am a proud Ohioan and they have cool stickers
(( stickers )) and ((moon rocks )) Its not quite spring there till mothers day so dress like its going to be cold that's why I moved to Georgia Its blooming spring here
have fun and say hi to the guard shack guy for me !!!
Old 03-11-2014, 07:48 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUMINUMINUM View Post
Boredom and wonder.

We toured the factory, which didn't impress a material handling/plant layout/manufacturing engineer. The workers on the floor always had time to stop production and friendly chat with us. We listened to Ol' Don evade and excuse questions like "Why does Airstream still sweep construction debris into inaccessible hidden areas of the trailer instead of simply sweeping all the swarf out the door?"...Answer; "We bought a couple of shop vacs last year, but we can't get anyone to use them". We worried that Ol' Don might not last the tour.

We rummaged through the pile of discontinued old stock for sale, but it was all useless to us. We checked out the service department and concluded that these guys were too slow for $140/hr. and they will never see our Airstream. We wondered at the effectiveness of the sprinkler on a stick that they detected customer's leak complaints with. We walked around the factory grounds and wondered about their recycling and trash disposal. We wondered why the construction debris was under our bathtub instead of in the giant dumpsters. We walked around the wonderful old trailers staged out front. We saw the Bowlus. We bought some high priced souvenirs that we didn't need at the Airstream store out of boredom. The weather was nice, so we toured every street in town and smiled and waved to all the off shift AS Factory Rats drinking beer and smoking in their lawn-chaired driveways. Had a wonderful lunch at the Bistro a few blocks from factory near the closed-up old church/museum. Hardware store was closed. We wondered why Byam chose this town to build trailers, and went home...

It was an informative and pleasant adventure. I guess I'm easily amused.
You've got to be a wonderful boss to work for! Have you ever walked around your town and looked at your "rats" when they are not working?

Hell, I bet the free coffee in the lobby was too cold and overpriced for you!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:38 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
I have scored segment protectors, led lighting, a new water pump, miscellaneous hardware, rivets by the box, outside shower.....
Not too proud to dive at my favorite factory!
I'll bet there will be lots of legs sticking out of the dumpster at Alumapalooza, now that you told there's good stuff in there! I'm going in the dark.....

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:13 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Sounds like the best tourist attraction is their dumpsters?

:-)
Old 03-12-2014, 03:24 AM   #27
'06 75th Winick Prototype

2006 19' International CCD
1968 22' Safari
The Swamps of Hell , Lousy-Anna
While Airstream was destroying whoops I mean upgrading the windows on my Winick 75th Prototype, I did some dumpster diving myself. Airstream throws away a LOT of perfectly good stuff. I got two great condition Fantastic fans in barely-used condition. I'm assuming they were swapped for the new fancy dancy remote controlled models in the service department, so the factory just tossed the originals. I didn't need them, but my parents always wanted some for their motorhome. They were more than grateful, and Fantastic even sent for free the wiring kit to add the "in/out" switch that trailers can't be built with.

I also got a Sony LCD 19" tv, a huge roll of chrome inserts, rivets, stainless steel cleaner, pewter A/S spraypaint...

One thing I'm kicking myself for, however...my original electric jack would occasionally lock up and it always dripped an oily residue. I fought with Airstream to have it replaced under warranty, and they were pretty pissy about it...but they eventually replaced it. The service manager said, "If I try to turn that in for warranty replacement, the company is going to laugh at me!" My jack was replaced, but they just threw the original on the ground. It stayed there for a few days, and it wasn't until I was on my way home that I realized they hadn't sent it back for warranty replacement but just threw it out in the trash...even though it didn't work perfectly and was messy, I sure could have used that on my Scamp. I'm still kicking myself for not taking it. Everything else they "repaired" under warranty on my trailer was scrapped...I'm sure the jack was as well.

Oh well.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:52 AM   #28
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Whoops.... we let the cat out of the bag.
JC will now become a dumpster diving tourist destination!